Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: EA Voted Worst Company in America. Again.  (Read 8963 times)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: EA Voted Worst Company in America. Again.
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2013, 07:16:58 pm »

Not really. Casuals will keep it afloat before the bloated crap implodes on itself and dies.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2013, 07:51:30 pm »

I wonder...
Is printable, auto-feed-capable peel-and-stick semi-weather-resistant sticker stock affordable? (even if it isn't, tape is)

If so, wouldn't public education issues like this best be solved by a web campaign coupled with guerrilla poster 'graffiti'?
An 8.5*11" (double-quote is inches, right?) poster can easily contain a big word-art headline, a few lines of 'hook' text, and a link in URL and QR code formats.
Mass printing is cheap (though don't use a modern printer, some of them embed an identifier on everything, usually in super-light yellow pixels, and if a corporation pesters them enough, I figure the cops WILL pull out the manhunt-and-wiretaps routine for what could at most amount to vandalism. Chances are very small though.).
Use an ancient black-and-white printer and handle the paper with gloves and you have a 'perfect crime' (even though posting citizen notices in some areas isn't even illegal. Universities, town notice boards, etc. sometimes allow posters to be put up.)
Other forms of pamphlet/poster distribution (maybe not attaching them to anything per-se, just leaving them around, thereby reducing the charge to littering) could be even safer.
The average EA victim is a sucker for advertising and bandwagons, so an eye-catching snippet will appeal to them more than all the civilized Internet discussion or human rights uproar in the world presented boringly. Think of how earbleedingly _trendy_ campaigns like the Kony 2012 or whatever it was thing got. People like feeling like crusaders for (their own or others') rights without actually doing anything. This can be used to lure people into willingly learning something. A small fraction of them might change their opinion, and a larger group might even participate in some stupid token resistance effort (boycott EA and Apple for a month, etc.) on the Internet if the posters (unofficially) link to it. Enough popularity could get the EFF, etc. mentioning it, which would cause the online component of the campaign to explode in popularity to the point where the gesture could even prove noticeable (though still probably not threatening to the companies). This even has a slight chance of raising publicity in the public, which would be a Godsend.

Of course, nobody here (me especially) would even THINK of advocating something like that! [Unoffensive moral authority] forbid consider DOING it! The Law is the Utmost Authority and anything that could violate or Circumvent (including so-called "knowledge" that could enable or encourage such Circumvention) it is Unclean, Wrong, and Doubleplus-Ungood! AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!

(Full disclosure, I'm Canadian. I have no idea exactly how American attitudes are on fliers and posters. For all I know, they could be considered a crime worse than spam!)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2013, 07:55:40 pm »

So wait you're trying to present the idea of putting up posters as a highly subversive and revolutionary activity?

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2013, 08:06:43 pm »

In some places.
But In 'murica, they don't just kill you, they castrate you with a donkey too. Then they sue you.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2013, 08:13:37 pm »

In some places.
But In 'murica, they don't just kill you, they sue and castrate you with a donkey (who sues you) too. Then they sue you and sue you.
Fixed that for you
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2013, 08:34:46 pm »

Well, I was more of ridiculing the idea of criminalizing poster-placement, but that too.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2013, 08:36:32 pm »

I hear that there are some really radical groups that have gone so far as to distribute pamphlets in public spaces.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2013, 08:41:46 pm »

This is why I have long supported a law requiring that an official government stamp be placed on any printed materials for public distribution.  Naturally we'd have to tax the stamps to pay for this but that's the price of a civil society.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2013, 09:09:09 pm »

I kind of feel like EA winning this poll is detracting from more serious consumer issues and reflects poorly on the attention of Americans.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2013, 09:17:41 pm »

I think it reflects entirely what the current issue is for the average internet going person. The last evil company to screw them will have been EA. I hate to say it but with the average person (I think posting here disqualifies us from being that) unless the News or what have you has recently talked about some horrible oil spill or whatever they won't think about those things. Overall it is easier to just forget about such things so EA ends up standing out. Basically it comes down to EA being evil but a petty evil which the masses can more easily stomach. Diet evil if you will.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2013, 11:29:24 pm »

Double posting for great relevance. Check Nerf Now's comic on this, its funny.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2013, 11:54:05 pm »

WE PROMISE TO DO BETTER.

BUT ALSO SCREW YOU WE'RE NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG.

EA: The crazy ex-girlfriend/ex-boyfriend company.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 12:34:05 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2013, 01:27:42 am »

I think it reflects entirely what the current issue is for the average internet going person. The last evil company to screw them will have been EA.
Telecoms? Hello? US infrastructure is a shameful Oligopoly with embarrassing service. A single video game company is small fish compared to what else is going on in the US, even if you just focus on the "average internet going person". There's dozens of "worst companies" all tied because they aren't even competing, and they all screw the average internet and smart-phone user on a more frequent basis than EA.

Now I want to split off a thread on how the US needs to include telecoms in socialized utilities, if just to provide a fixed competitor for any private companies in the business to ensure a baseline service quality (Or just chase out all privately owned telecoms). However there isn't much to say other than what I just did.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2013, 02:00:06 am »

I think it reflects entirely what the current issue is for the average internet going person. The last evil company to screw them will have been EA.
Telecoms? Hello? US infrastructure is a shameful Oligopoly with embarrassing service. A single video game company is small fish compared to what else is going on in the US, even if you just focus on the "average internet going person". There's dozens of "worst companies" all tied because they aren't even competing, and they all screw the average internet and smart-phone user on a more frequent basis than EA.

Now I want to split off a thread on how the US needs to include telecoms in socialized utilities, if just to provide a fixed competitor for any private companies in the business to ensure a baseline service quality (Or just chase out all privately owned telecoms). However there isn't much to say other than what I just did.

EA are a terrible company for multiple reasons... Chiefly among those is that they are slowly destroying the video-games industry. EA do not care about video-games, EA care about making money... So do all companies I guess but EA cares about making money NO MATTER THE COST. They acquire small time developers and slaughter them wholesale to churn out terrible crap which they then proceed to shovel into every gamer under the age of 16's mouths (targeting the young who don't know better, always a valiant strategy). They are the fast food industry of the video-game world... The fact that they make a lot of money doesn't mean that they're not absolute crap... It just means that they don't care about being absolute crap so much that they're ready to stoop to any low... Obtrusive DRM, price fixing, regional pricing, stupid amounts of DLC, freemium crap, modern brownfare XXVVVIII...

EA truly are a repulsive element of the video-game sector.

Sure there are other bad companies out there but that doesn't make EA any less bad.

If EA had full control over the industry it's be like a beef farmer taking over a dairy farm. All of a sudden overnight every single cow would get slaughtered and then after there was nothing left to hack up for profit EA would shrug their shoulders and go ruin something else... They don't care about advancing the industry or growing it via improvement... They just want that juicy short term profit and they would do anything to get it.

*Buying an EA game in that world* "PLEASE INSERT $20 INTO YOUR COMPUTER TO UNLOCK THE LOADING SCREEN... NOW INSERT $20 TO UNLOCK THE MAIN MENU... OH WAIT OUR ALWAYS ON DRM AS DETECTED THAT YOU HAVE AN UNDESIRABLE ELEMENT RUNNING ON YOUR COMPUTER, STAND-BY WHILE WE FRY YOUR HARD-DRIVE... THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH EA... HAHAHAHAHAHA... SERIOUSLY THOUGH BUY MODERN BROWNFARE XXXXVVVIIIIXXIII COMING TO A STORE NEAR YOU.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 02:04:50 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2013, 02:04:07 am »

You are so lucky that your bad companies just screw customers.

Here in Italy they kill and pollute to a level which kills more than them and usually get away with it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10