Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Fey Mood issue..  (Read 579 times)

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Another Fey Mood issue..
« on: April 22, 2008, 06:58:00 pm »

Hey everyone

I'm having a little problem with my MetalCrafter who just went into a strange mood

When he did enter the mood, i hadnt built the magma forge yet, but i did almost as soon as i received the Fey warning..

Problem is : he won't claim it. I searched this forum and found someone saying that maybe he wanted a forge made of stone blocks instead of plain stone, so i destroyed the magma forge, built a bunch of blocks, and rebuilt the forge with the blocks (dolomite blocks if that matters)

He still doesnt claim it  :(

If anyone has another suggestion or idea about why he won't move, that'd be greatly appreciated

By the way, i'm playing with the latest version of DF, downloaded it today  ;)

Thanks in advance

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Another Fey Mood issue..
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »

This is a bug that has been going on for a while now. There seems to be a glitch where metalworkers want a normal forge instead of a magma one. Try making a normal forge and see if that works.
quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 07:04:00 pm »

Alright, i'll give this a shot, thanks   :)

Edit : oh well, too late... As soon as i unpaused the game to attempt to tear down the magma forge to build a regular forge (i only got one anvil so far), the guy went berserk and got locked up in his own bedroom  :(

Better luck next time ;-)

[ April 22, 2008: Message edited by: Bogdanov ]

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 07:06:00 pm »

Im not sure but it might be possible that he is wanting a smelter to produce his artifact, Im sure Ive had dwarves claim related workshops before.

And its probably a silly question, but is the magma forge powered?

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 07:09:00 pm »

The magma forge was working fine, i had a bowyer make a copper crossbow in it just to be sure

And i did have a magma smelter so unless he wanted a regular smelter, i dont think that was the problem

Thassa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 11:56:00 pm »

I'm not even sure that wanting a normal instead of magma version is bugged (unless they always want the normal version).  A perfectionist (and all fey dwarves are perfectionists) will want something that is "just right", and I've run into plenty of people in real life who will put down an improvement on something for (what seems to me) silly reasons.

Now if they start demanding magma workshops on maps with no magma, I'll be annoyed.

[ April 23, 2008: Message edited by: Thassa ]

Dwarf Fortress players: Coming up with solutions for problems that haven't been implemented yet. 

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 12:04:00 am »

That's when you have to import it.

Hmm...  I wonder...  Say you build a magmaduct to the edge of the map, using bridges to connect it to the very edge.  Open up the magma supply to it, and then wait to make sure it reaches the edge.  If you start a fortress on the next zone over, will you have magma pouring out the side of the map?  Would it work with water?

Imagine setting up a dwarven supply network, a double-layer elevated magma and water supply that stretches to every embark site where you have everything but water or magma...  That would be bloody awesome.

Maybe something similar will get integrated later on in the natural development of DF.  He could use some of the roadbuiilding technology that he's working on now.