Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Manysquashed, the Utilitarian Fortress: How can I maximize potential?  (Read 1735 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

Anyways, my plan is to create a fortress with the maximum number of dwarves. To accomplish this, I will mod all redundant clothing out of the dwarven entity, and all clothing out of all other entities. Also, I will embark on a 2x2 square for best FPS. What else should I do? What is rhe best crop for this? How should I design my bedrooms?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Manysquashed, the Utilitarian Fortress: How can I maximize potential?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 10:00:23 am »

Hmm... a few things I can think of:

- If you haven't, study http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Path
- EDIT: Also, http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Maximizing_framerate
- Use traffic designations heavily
- Use wider corridors (wider than 1 square. 2 or 3 should work.)
- Make sure there are no flowing liquids on embark
- Do not pump liquids to the surface
- Do not dump anything into magma
- Design an efficient garbage compactor using a bridge and a dump zone
- Manage your animals. They should be set to restraints, to pastures of to cages. Kill off any unwanted beasts sooner than later.
- I would suggest refraining from embarking near a necro tower as undead bits (fingers, teeth, shells) are annoying.
- Once you have a decent population going, designate working burrows and split your dwarves. This way, they will not path to the other side of the embark

At the end of the day, you have to manage a) pathfinding, b) moving liquids and c) the number of entities on the map.

Good luck, keep us posted!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:27:27 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 11:47:47 am »

It's probably also a good idea to cut out as much of the below-ground weirdness as possible. That stuff can eat frame rate like there's no tomorrow.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 12:18:22 pm »

What's the best way to minimize caverns? I mean, what worldgen settings?

Also, what's the best plant to farm? Should I stick with plump helmets, or use quarry bushes?
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 12:53:49 pm »

I once had a fort that had iron flux and coal the first z-level that i breached. I built all of the industries on that z-level and living quarters one z-level below it. Amazingly high fps for years until I got bored and breached the caverns.

Make it as small as possible and ignore the caves as much as possible.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 01:01:46 pm »

What's the best way to minimize caverns? I mean, what worldgen settings?

Also, what's the best plant to farm? Should I stick with plump helmets, or use quarry bushes?
well, that depends. what are your thoughts on not having any alcohol in your fortress except what you buy, while trying to keep 200+ dwarves happy and productive?

if you're ok with that, sure... go pure quarry bushes. if not, you may wish to have some plump helmets. (also quarry bushes use up an annoying amount of bags if you don't cook them fast enough... they do produce an absurd amount of food though).

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 01:49:22 pm »

I recommend one or two brewable plants instead of just quarry bushes.  More seeds, perhaps, but at least your dwarves won't trigger a cavern-wide water update when they take a drink.  Maybe you can rely on caravans for booze variety. 

For defense, layer at least 1 solid layer of cage traps in front of any weapon traps you decide to use, as cage traps do not generate blood splatters. 
As for caverns, you either want "caverns" or "cavern layers" set to 1. 

Oh, yeah: don't try to stockpile things like chairs, tables, or rock pots unless you're preparing to sell them; just let the workshops get cluttered instead. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 02:07:38 am »

The single most important thing to do is to turn temperature off. In my experience, that's a 50-75% improvement in FPS right there, even when not doing anything crazy with magma.

Modding out clothing wear might help. The wiki says adding [ARMORLEVEL:1] to the clothing raws should do it.

Dwarves always look for the straight line path first, then go from there, so design your fortress around straight paths as much as possible.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 08:20:53 am »

Thank you for all you suggestions. Quick question: Would it be worth it to use a utility to change the size to 1x1?
Also, I plan on producing all cloth and clothing myself, so all my dwarves can be clothed in a uniform dull gray.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 08:46:12 am »

Minimise the number of stockpiles you have. Stockpiles eat away at FPS.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 08:57:46 am »

Does anyone know where the undump thread is?

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 12:40:13 pm »

Consider separating and sealing the dwarves into a series of self-contained "villages", each with it's own farming capability. It'll minimize pathing as only dwarves in the nearby village will try to pickup crops or haul stuff in their area. Short hallways with doors at either end can serve as airlocks so that someone - or something - can be transferred to/from the general area.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 01:03:50 pm »

Does anyone know where the undump thread is?
Undumps are obsolete; quantum stockpiles are the thing these days. Load stuff into a mine cart, and have a track stop autodump the contents onto a 1x1 stockpile.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 01:17:26 pm »

The new undump looked pretty good, but I can't remember where I saw it.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 02:46:10 pm »

Modding out clothing wear might help. The wiki says adding [ARMORLEVEL:1] to the clothing raws should do it.
You should beware however because changing this also designates any items as not suitable for everyday wear. This means that your dwarves will not pick up ARMORLEVEL:1 items unless it is a uniform assigned through the military screen, nor will they come with such items when you embark. Their requirements for being covered up don't change, however, which means that upon embarking everyone will immediately begin getting negative thoughts for waving their privates around.

You can solve this to an extent by increasing the number of embark points in your world and using them to buy clothing, and then assigning the clothing after you embark. But you're going to need to provide them for all your immigrants, too, which will be a factor when you're going for maximum population.
Pages: [1] 2