Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress guards no better than nobles?  (Read 430 times)

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress guards no better than nobles?
« on: March 04, 2007, 02:07:00 am »

I have a near complete standing military of fortress guard (16/19) that i let use my barracks to train and train and become champions and heroes and what not... but come siege time, when the goblins are up and about, what do they do? - They go to sleep, they eat, they sparr, and act like nothings happening. The only ones who do any real "fortress guarding" are my personal military (drafted) and they get cut down in half every time we get sieged.

I guess my question is, Do fortress guards help in any way besides putting dwarves in jail? Or are they just a kind of requirement that the captain of the guard has that he wants people to join the fortress guard?

The only time i've seen a FG help was when he happened to be looting a dead dwarf outside with some nearby goblins and then he fought them because he happened to be in the area.

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress guards no better than nobles?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 10:12:00 am »

They patrol your hallways mostly. If something pops out of chasms or rivers or wells, they tend to wander in and kill it. But actual sieges? Nope, nothing.

The trick is to put unskilled people into the Fortress Guard, and take them out when they get close to hero status. I find that fortress guard tend to spar more, and level faster, than normal military. That could just be wishful thinking, but those that I assign as fortress guard tend to level fast. Just switch them out into your semi-controllable military before it is too late.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 01:48:00 pm »

Too late ! But thanks for the info. Though, taking someone out of fortress guard makes them unhappy, and all of my dwarves are really unhappy already because all their clothes are rotting away so.. yeah..
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 05:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ColonelTEE3:
<STRONG>...and all of my dwarves are really unhappy already because all their clothes are rotting away so.. yeah..</STRONG>

Speaking of which, how the hell do I make dwarves clean up the heaps of tattered clothing that are getting discarded all over my fortress corridors, so that they put them into a refuse pile instead? Setting the pile to accept clothing items doesn't seem to do anything.