Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trouble with farming  (Read 1596 times)

TheEngine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trouble with farming
« on: April 08, 2013, 10:51:23 pm »

Whenever i try cultivating a plant it just turns up wilting and i have no idea how to get it out of the ground before that happens. any ides/suggestions?

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with farming
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 11:21:51 pm »

A couple of ways:

1. Assign more dwarves to farming (planter) labor and do not have them multitasked to other labors so that they will task crop harvesting.
2. In the orders menu assign all dwarves as being allowed to harvest - though that will end up getting all the harvesting dwarves some planter experience as compared to allowing the farmers to gain the experience.

And once harvested you then need food haulers to collect the harvested crop.  And a food stockpile for the collected crops to be stored in.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 11:28:58 pm »

Oaktree has it fairly well covered. Personally I have 1-2 dwarves whose only jobs are planting/harvesting in my forts.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 11:40:47 pm »

Make sure that you haven't accidentally told your dwarves not to gather food. Check your Orders menu.
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 11:45:52 pm »

Another is to minimize walking distance between the farm plot and a food storage stockpile that can accept the crop.  If dwarves spend too much time walking, they are more likely to up and decide that they need a drink, then need to eat, then take a nap, then go attend a party, then go on break, rather than pick the crops.

I usually try to have a food stockpile to accept the crops directly 1Z above or below the farm plot, then use the "take from" to move that stockpile's contents to the main larder. Note, dwarves need a staircase directly next to the farmplot to the level with the stockpile for maximal efficiency, so that pathing distance is in the single digits.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 05:24:41 am »

Another is to minimize walking distance between the farm plot and a food storage stockpile that can accept the crop.  If dwarves spend too much time walking, they are more likely to up and decide that they need a drink, then need to eat, then take a nap, then go attend a party, then go on break, rather than pick the crops.

I usually try to have a food stockpile to accept the crops directly 1Z above or below the farm plot, then use the "take from" to move that stockpile's contents to the main larder. Note, dwarves need a staircase directly next to the farmplot to the level with the stockpile for maximal efficiency, so that pathing distance is in the single digits.

Agree. I usually do something like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nice thing is that it all designations are shift-arrow based, all workshops can be locked as needed, and pathing is pretty small. If more workshops/farms are needed, expand vertically as each stair is just a one tile movement.

TheEngine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 09:59:25 am »

Thanks for all the feed back, Unfortunatly my fort was attacked by a weredeer and nearly everyone important died before they could starve :P, at least i know what to do next time.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 04:19:50 pm »

I don't think harvesting actually counts as "food hauling". I disabled all hauling labours (and all other labours except planting) on my farmers so that they'd actually do their jobs for once, and they harvested everything just fine.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 04:23:37 pm »

(diagram)

Spoiler: Off-topic (click to show/hide)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 05:35:00 pm »

I don't think harvesting actually counts as "food hauling". I disabled all hauling labours (and all other labours except planting) on my farmers so that they'd actually do their jobs for once, and they harvested everything just fine.
Harvesting the plant is Farming(Fields) labor I think, but technically anyone can harvest if your orders setting allows it(by default it does). However, they will leave it on the ground(where it can still rot), generally if they have nowhere to put it. I am not sure if they will always do this, or how often they will haul it to a food stockpile(or go grab a barrel and pack it up before hauling). It may just them deciding to properly store the nearest thing available(which would be the plant at their feet). I cannot remember if children will stockpile what they harvest, but children certainly can harvest(if orders allow) and gain Grower experience.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.