Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to put a Volcano to good use.  (Read 2196 times)

Remsly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to put a Volcano to good use.
« on: April 08, 2013, 05:31:20 pm »

Hello there my fellow Dwarf Gods,

I'm pretty new to the game, but loving it, really! First fortress dehydrated (Learning to brew is not easy  :P), second got overrun by a goblin ambush and the third had the famously fun emo death spiral! Anyway I took me another challenge; this time volcanoes! Now the problem is that I don't understand all these guides about how to exploit a volcano for your magma forges. SO I was wondering if you guys could explain me in an easy way what a good way would be to start using it, without having my Dwarves enjoy some hot baths. (But it could be nice to see them running around in flames!)

Anyway any help is welcome and the use of pictures will also help a lot. On a sidenote I use a graphic mod from the lazy newb pack, but in most cases I understand the basic graphics of the game also.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to put a Volcano to good use.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 06:12:59 pm »

The handy thing about a volcano is it's near the surface, and the magma is likely above where you want it to be.  You don't need a lot of time, effort or infrastructure to dig out a magma reservoir below where you want to place your workshops, pierce the volcano and let the magma simply flow into place due to gravity, with no pumping or trickier measures required.  Just make sure your reservoir is sealed and has no leaks, and pick a safe method to pierce the volcano, and you're all good.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 06:21:41 pm »

All I have to say is this: watch out for magma crabs.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 06:26:42 pm »

That reminds me, I need to try to capture some magma crabs and set them up in lookout towers where they can spit molten basalt at enemies, random wildlife, and maybe a few dwarfs for the lulz.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 06:30:02 pm »

That reminds me, I need to try to capture some magma crabs and set them up in lookout towers where they can spit molten basalt at enemies, random wildlife, and maybe a few dwarfs for the lulz.
Are you going to chain them there or use another method?

Remsly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 06:49:03 pm »

Thanks lads, I've got the basic idea, only the bridge seems like a hassle (and something with which I'll create a lot of fun!) Perhaps I can just asign some useles noble and let him breach it? That way he dies in a useful manner!  :D

And magma crabs.... also sound like a lot fun....  :P

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 07:51:32 pm »

Are you going to chain them there or use another method?

I'm thinking lever-linked cages, and sealing the towers before popping them.

Deus Morti

• Bay Watcher
  • Veteran Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 11:21:48 pm »

Thanks lads, I've got the basic idea, only the bridge seems like a hassle (and something with which I'll create a lot of fun!) Perhaps I can just asign some useles noble and let him breach it? That way he dies in a useful manner!  :D

If you're as prone to making silly mistakes as I am, it may be a good idea to use a noble anyway, just in case. You don't want to risk a legendary miner on something this trivial.
Seal off your fortress and make it impregnable, then use screw pumps to flood every inch of that town in magma. Either that or dig too deep and watch as the circus comes to town. Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
A goblin daycare center, a Dwarven cat herd on the move. A kobold cautiously trying to steal a tooth from a clear crystal Plains Titan[...]

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 01:03:35 am »

That reminds me, I need to get tested.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 01:25:40 am »

Or alternatively you could simply ensure that your dwarf has another mining task (or smoothing/engraving if you prefer the carving fortifications method) to do immediately after he mines/carves the connection between the magma tube and your pipe system. I've been using this method since 40d and still have yet to lose a miner to breaching the magma. The key is that if the dwarf has another of the same task to do then he will immediately move to do it, getting him out of the pipes before the magma can BBQ him. If he doesn't have another task of the same type, then he pauses for the briefest of instants, which is enough to kill him.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 07:59:33 am »

If I had a volcano on my site, I'd definitely be trying out the Magma Hammer concept I read about a while ago. The basic idea was that the only entrance to your fort is across a thin walkway that winds over the volcano mouth. In an emergency, you dump water through grates above the walkway (ideally using automated mine carts). The water lands in the magma, creating an obsidian block, which then falls into the magma sea. Anything on the walkway ends up in the magma.

Think this is the thread?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=81125.msg2138597#msg2138597

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 10:19:30 am »

Here are some basics of magma from my experiences:
- Read this: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Magma-safe
- ALWAYS have a way to turn off the flow. There should ALWAYS be a floodgate you can turn off (have you worked with mechanisms yet?)
- It is safer to breach magma when it's tapering off. Not like a pipe, ||, but like a mountain, /\
- Creatures inside magma are very unpleasant. The safest way to breach magma is
Code: [Select]
Legend: ^ = channel
O = wall
_ = floor
X = floodgate
% = fortification
!! = magma

Side view:

!!O O O O
!!!!O O O

into

!!O _ _ _
!!!!^ % X

- I always produce pre-emptive support walkways above the magma level using hatches/grates, emergency ramps to escape the magma level and a way to completely block off the magma area. A magma-proof door is a good start.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 07:16:04 pm »

Magma Landmines. Use it to make Magma Landmines outside your fort.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 07:24:40 pm »

I like  [engraved fortification, wallgrate, floodgate, space, wallgrate] myself... but then again I don't even like seeing magma snakes.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Nimbby

• Bay Watcher
  • One of Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 08:16:53 pm »

The channel mode and building menu are your best friends in this respect. Channeling (accessed through the designation menu [d] then [h]) can be used to make a pit for the magma to go in, then you can have a dwarf dig into the volcano from the pit level to flood it with magma, provided there is a way out of the pit (there should be unless you remove the up ramps on the side of the pit) the dwarf will escape and you will have a magma filled pit. Then build one tile wide flooring spaced out as +..+ (where the pluses are floors and the periods are empty space) over the lava pit, then build forges on each of the floor tiles.
Pages: [1] 2