Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Cat Lady  (Read 3118 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
The Cat Lady
« on: April 08, 2013, 04:57:26 pm »

Not sure if there has been a thread here yet, but I just discovered this amazing game.

The Cat Lady (TRAILER) is a horror/adventure game about a woman that lives alone, with her cats (funnily enough), unemployed, alone, no reason to live. In the opening scene of the game she commits suicide. She wakes up in a strange world where an old woman (The Queen of Maggots) sends her back to exact vengeance on "Parasites", various serial killers that are running around the city. The game is heavy on the story but has the puzzle elements of a point-and-click game (though all on the keyboard). Great voice acting, soundtrack and amazingly creepy atmosphere. Kinda like Silent Hill crossed with The Crimson Room. Don't play the game in the dark... just don't.

It's only for windows though I've heard it works on mac. There's a few Let's Play walkthroughs of it on youtube too if that's your thing. The game is mostly story so you don't miss out on much but the puzzles and alternate choices.

Quote from: Official Game Description
The Cat Lady is a new, critically acclaimed horror adventure game by designer R. Michalski (Author of Downfall, 2009). A gripping story, pumping soundtrack, high-resolution artwork and voice acting will engross you on your journey through the strange and often terrifying world of The Cat Lady.

Susan Ashworth, known in her neighbourhood as the crazy Cat Lady, is a lonely 40-year old on the verge of suicide. She has no family, no friends and no hope for a better future.

One day she discovers that five strangers will come along and change everything... But those five, "The Parasites", are also the most ruthless, deranged and cold-blooded bunch of psychopaths the city has ever known. They will stop at nothing to hurt Susan. Unless, she hurts them first...

www.thecatlady.co.uk

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cat Lady
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 05:34:18 pm »

My friend super really likes this game. She tried to get me to play it, but the woman walks so slow I couldn't handle it for very long. Heard good things about it, though!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 05:52:21 pm »

This looks kind've like that one game, a mother's inferno. I liked the look of that so this seems pretty neat. Hopefully an LP of this'll pop up at some point because while I like it I'm not willing to spend 10 bucks on it (yes I'm stingy).

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 05:54:32 pm »

Did anyone else expect this to be by Icepick Lodge reading the description?
Shoes...

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 06:01:36 pm »

This looks kind've like that one game, a mother's inferno. I liked the look of that so this seems pretty neat. Hopefully an LP of this'll pop up at some point because while I like it I'm not willing to spend 10 bucks on it (yes I'm stingy).

Here you go. There's quite a few of them, but CinnamonToastKen's is pretty good imo.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 06:14:17 pm »

I thought "Definitely going to play this" but then I saw the price. So I'll check out the demo this dark weekend, then decide whether to buy it or not. Supporting the Steam Greenlight.
Thanks, Caz. Gotta love horror + story, and cats don't hurt.

Did anyone else expect this to be by Icepick Lodge reading the description?
Naw, not quite abstract enough IMO.