Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possible Marksdwarves Archery Targets Fix  (Read 1091 times)

Palpatine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possible Marksdwarves Archery Targets Fix
« on: April 08, 2013, 01:49:43 pm »

It's my understanding that most forum members consider marksdwarf training with archery targets to be bugged to the point of unusability.  I'vbe read a number of recomendations that if you want targets used to not assign barracks and schedule the squad to be inactive, or they won't fire at them.

However, I have a squad currently scheduled to train, and with assigned barracks.  I increased the barracks room size to include the targets.  And I increased the targets room size to make sure it included the armor stand and weapon rack.

Their marksdwarf skills have been steadily increasing according to Dwarf Therapist, and this is a trick I've used in the past as well to get them to fire. 8)   

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Marksdwarves Archery Targets Fix
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 02:11:00 pm »

It's my understanding that most forum members consider marksdwarf training with archery targets to be bugged to the point of unusability.  I'vbe read a number of recomendations that if you want targets used to not assign barracks and schedule the squad to be inactive, or they won't fire at them.

However, I have a squad currently scheduled to train, and with assigned barracks.  I increased the barracks room size to include the targets.  And I increased the targets room size to make sure it included the armor stand and weapon rack.

Their marksdwarf skills have been steadily increasing according to Dwarf Therapist, and this is a trick I've used in the past as well to get them to fire. 8)   

Interesting... this requires !!Science!!.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 02:48:16 pm »

So, we have two things to figure out:
  • Do the barracks and firing range need to overlap for this to work?
  • If not, is the problem that armor and weapon racks aren't in the firing range?

Anyone able to test this further?
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:52:00 pm »

???
Archery targets work fine for me. The only problem I've seen is that they don't switch from training/combat ammunition properly. But they definitely shoot(and gain marksdwarf skill from hitting the target).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 05:04:25 pm »

I read a while back on the forums to overlap the barracks and ranges and it has worked for me. I don't know if it matters one way or another, but I generally set the weapon rack to "Squad Equipment" only, and training on the targets.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 01:28:01 pm »

well i currently have a successful(boring) fort with 120+ dwarves. I have total 30 marksdwarves who train continuously at their keep and also there are archery targets located separately(no overlapping here). Plus another 30 dwarves who are regular workers but armed with crossbows and those targets are assigned to them too. All of these squads have ammunition assigned to them like this :Metal(for combat only)250 and about 120 wood, 120 bone bolts for training as well as combat. Im at year ten and i got about 6 elite marksdwarves from the former 30 and the workers have a few accomplished archers among them. By the way ive got sieged only once :( and a few ambushes so the only training they got other than the targets are result of a few mass pitted thieves or animals.