Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sim City 4  (Read 1598 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Sim City 4
« on: April 06, 2013, 05:59:07 pm »

SC4 discussion thread. I'm a little surprised I couldn't find a thread for the classic game that has more depth than most RTS's out there, but here it is anyway.

Let's try not to mention Sim City 5 or EA. This is purely for SC4/Rush hour stuff.

To get us started, let's talk about regions. Whenever I try to render a downloaded region, part of the map doesn't render. Any ideas?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 4
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 06:07:15 pm »

That's caused by alt tabbing and doing something else that takes CPU, only way to make sure it renders correctly is to leave your computer alone and hope it works.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 06:26:05 pm »

That's caused by alt tabbing and doing something else that takes CPU, only way to make sure it renders correctly is to leave your computer alone and hope it works.

I left it alone three separate times and it still failed to render. It did close automatically after a few minutes though, but nothing caused it to minimize.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.

"You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 06:31:34 pm »

Pretty much. The only real solution I've found is to save before ever tabbing out, because I don't know for sure if it's going to work after.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 06:35:50 pm »

Just ran it for a fourth time and it decided to work. No idea what I did differently, but at least I have a brand new region to play with. :D

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 07:06:00 pm »

Does SC4 work with that generic mod enabler thingy? I imagine it would but it's always best to make sure before bricking my SC4 installation xD
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 07:10:24 pm »

I remembered the days when I was just starting to learn Sim City 4. Randomly placed roads and zones along with high loans and spending on utility stuff resulted in my city being bankrupt in a year. Heck, I can't even remember why I decided to build a huge airport in my little town of 1000 people during that game. ::)

Does SC4 work with that generic mod enabler thingy? I imagine it would but it's always best to make sure before bricking my SC4 installation xD

For me, I just place my mods manually so I can't say but I guess it should work. Just try it out first without trying to build too much stuff so that you can test it out.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 07:21:50 pm »

For me, I just place my mods manually so I can't say but I guess it should work. Just try it out first without trying to build too much stuff so that you can test it out.

I spent about four hours manually adding mods last night. The good thing about modding for older games is that it's really easy to fix issues that crop up because you know where everything is.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 12:19:37 pm »

I love the Simpeg mods for it. I just with they had bundles for the stuff, rather than requiring that you download and install every single building separately.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 02:26:01 pm »

I owned SimCity 4 for a while. While it is fun the lack of natural disasters is quite sad.