Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Better choices for weapon use  (Read 530 times)

TheDourSalmon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Better choices for weapon use
« on: April 06, 2013, 05:36:41 pm »

I briefly searched for this, but I couldn't find a specific thread about it. Apologies in advance if it has already been addressed.

As much as I enjoy reading stories about a Bronze Colossus pummeling a dwarf with a sock, or a Giant Bat attacking a Dwarven Baby with a pair of pants (and the pants lodging firmly in the wound), wouldn't it make more sense for these creatures to use their natural weapons, such as teeth and claws and fists and whatnot?

Also, I don't know the number of times that I've had an axedwarf ignore the perfectly good steel axe in his hand and try to bite an opponent to death. It's funny when it happens, but should it happen so damned constantly?

I dunno, maybe the use of various weapons could be weighted but still randomly generated, so a dwarf with an axe would most likely use that, then slightly less likely kick, then slightly less likely headbutt, and then on rare (and delightful) occasions bite. And, of course, these could all also be weighted by their proficiency in these various combat forms, and maybe weighted by injury or even enemy type, and maybe mood. For instance, going berserk could make a dwarf be much more likely to bite, or to pick up a severed arm and thrash a goblin with it or something.

But please. No more sock pummeling. (except, maybe, an artifact sock menacing with spikes of steel or something.)

ScegfOd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Better choices for weapon use
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 11:12:56 pm »

hehehe...
actually from my experience in adventure mode, I believe that everything but pummeling with random objects happens because the attacker had a really great opportunity (easy to hit and for maximum damage with that 'weapon') so I doubt the biting and kicking is a bad choice when they do that.
I agree with the sock pummeling though, wrestling off enemy clothes and then beating them to death with it is a funny, but very odd thing to do...
Why you kids feed troll?
We're just keeping it around so we can harvest its fur.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 02:24:55 am »

It's in the way how the game calculates "simple strikes". Every single body part and attack type has exactly same probablity to score "simple strike". And since most of attack types are useless punches and pommeling, there tends to be much of those. The game really doesen't that aiming for the head even without optimal probablities would be wiser than biting enemy's fingers.

Hopefully this will change in next release with combat overhaul.

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 02:51:50 am »

I mean Come ON guys, add real attributes to weapons and items!

I don't want to die via pants to the brain. I don't want to die by being smacked around with a sock. And I definitely don't want to die when by an OP pebble.

Cloth is cloth. You literally, CAN'T be harmed by being hit with it.
A small stone is a small blunt object. I've tried this, and I can not be smashed in the face with a pebble the size of a [normal sized] finger nail, and die.

C'mon, we can do better than this. Using natural abilities like claws and teeth would be /EXTREMELY/ more realistic, rather than picking up a pair of Pig Tail Fiber leggings and throwing it at someone, hoping that it will get a
!!CRITICAL HIT!!
and kill the target in one smack to the face.
¤MASTERWORK¤ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 01:45:01 pm »

Cloth is cloth. You literally, CAN'T be harmed by being hit with it.
I've drawn blood with a pillow in its case.  I've also done it with a wet towel slash.  You can absolutely be harmed with cloth.
A small stone is a small blunt object. I've tried this, and I can not be smashed in the face with a pebble the size of a [normal sized] finger nail, and die.
Sure you can, it just needs to be heavy enough and moving fast.  A gun and bullet are just fancy ways of throwing a rock.  Most bullets aren't much bigger than your fingernail, some are smaller.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 11:44:58 am »

This is Dwarf Fortress, medieval and without guns.

When I said that, I was thinking about In game DF, not in real life things. If you got pegged in the forehead by a pebble the size of a fingernail, you wouldn't get hurt.

Cloth in DF is mainly silk and things that aren't heavily threaded.
¤MASTERWORK¤ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 12:03:49 pm »

Part of that stems from DF skulls being significantly more fragile than in reality.  I don't have a quote but I recall even Toady admitted this. 

As for being beaten to death by cloth I think it puts some of the wielder's size and strength behind the calculations.  So it might be closer to a giant having your pants wrapped around their fist as they hit you with it than the old style duel slap with a glove thing.

I agree that it could use work.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!