Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventurer Mode Guilds  (Read 661 times)

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventurer Mode Guilds
« on: April 06, 2013, 04:09:26 pm »

I sometimes WANT to be a bandit. I know you all do too.

While playing Adventurer Mode, a random but true thought popped into my mind. Why aren't there join-able guilds in game? The three main guilds could be (like The Elder Scrolls, I know)

Thieves' Association
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Assassins' Guild
With the new update, this would fit in PERFECTLY!

[[If you guys would put suggestions in the comments, I will add them in as I get them]]

The Bandits

Again, give me more suggestions so I can add more guild ideas and add the descriptions.
¤MASTERWORK¤ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer Mode Guilds
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 05:46:26 pm »

I'd much rather guilds come up a bit more naturally and not... have set names. Something more like:
"A group of noble thieves called the Hard Cheeses".
"An Assassin group called the Great Abbeys"

And bandits are already in there, just not joinable.

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 06:25:48 pm »

I'd much rather guilds come up a bit more naturally and not... have set names. Something more like:
"A group of noble thieves called the Hard Cheeses".
"An Assassin group called the Great Abbeys"

And bandits are already in there, just not joinable.
Yes, I did not mean for those names to be set, they should be randomized.

And It would be amazing to be a bandit. I know they're in there because my great Dwarf Adventurer got his arms broken and his eye gouged out. lol

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 09:49:28 pm »

I say no.  When law is implemented, you can be a thief/bandit/assassin.  People won't know instantly that you killed someone or stole something, and shady figures in taverns will ask you to do certain shady things.  You will be able to rob merchants on the roads, kidnap children, and all that.  So why Guilds?
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 10:53:33 pm »

So why Guilds?

Guilds are designed to protect monopolies. It'd add to the fun if you perform crimes in an area and the gang/syndicate/mafia/whatever sent some thugs after you.

And if you join a gang or whatever you'd have acces to their safe houses, fences, etc. Of course you could get all of that stuff on your own, but why go to the effort if you don't need to?

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 02:32:34 am »

So why Guilds?

Guilds are designed to protect monopolies. It'd add to the fun if you perform crimes in an area and the gang/syndicate/mafia/whatever sent some thugs after you.

And if you join a gang or whatever you'd have acces to their safe houses, fences, etc. Of course you could get all of that stuff on your own, but why go to the effort if you don't need to?

You're forgotting that the world of DF is based in medieval, like many other fantasy worlds. There really wasn't much syndicates/mafias. There was no need for high organization, since even justice system didn't have so great organization. Assasin's guilds and other things are more like secret cult-like groups, and you can't really just say "i'm going to join them". The way how DF uses bandits right now - inpendent little (or not so little) gangs seems fine to me. I don't see reason why we should make different groups for assassins, thieves and bandits.
Like CaptainLambcake said, the future releases of DF will make it possible to be freelancer-assassin/thief/bandit.

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 02:47:02 am »

Having associations with particular things like Assassins, Thieves, and Bandits would add structure to what you do in game as a thief, assassin, bandit or all three. Just going around doing whatever for no particular reason (only reason being, that you can and want to) would get boring, and fast. Having a leader and a team to work with would add diversity to what you do. What if you wanted to rob a merchant? How would you know where the merchant would be at a certain time? A scout hired by the leader of the association would tell you. Sure, you could stand at a road for 4 hours in game and try to wait it out, but it would be more realistic to have data on those that you have targeted.

If this doesn't strike yer fancy, then can I get a link to where it says there'll be more assassin-like assassinations and thievery without being automatically exiled from a civilization, kidnapping, all that?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 02:51:41 am »

Or you could get hired by someone who wants someone stolen from or assassinated?

Helari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 07:50:31 am »

Sub entities inside entities like kingdoms and such will probably be randomised.

You may someday generate the Cheese wheels of gloating, an entity which goal is to profit by murder, slay night creatures and collect hoards of plump helmets. Their secret symbol is an adamantine sock. (ofcourse names will probably be a bit more appropriate because of the word sphere thingy)

I also remember there was stuff in some DF talk also about the players themselves forming their own entities which could continue to function ran by ai after the player adventurer retires or is killed.

Having strictly defined generic groups like ~the assasins guild~ or ~the paladins order~ or something cliche like that would be the wrong way to go imho.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 07:53:37 am by Helari »

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 09:43:52 am »

this games starting to sound like skyrim now... (except you cant disembowel children in skyrim without modding).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 03:50:15 pm »

You're forgotting that the world of DF is based in medieval, like many other fantasy worlds. There really wasn't much syndicates/mafias.
Historically speaking, there were.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 03:52:52 pm by Loud Whispers »

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 11:42:15 am »

In the spoilers, or the text itself, I said this would sound like Skyrim.
But it is not.
Skyrim compared to Dwarf Fortress, leads to Skyrim being Dwarf Fortress Lite