Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chemical Warfare  (Read 770 times)

N0ught

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chemical Warfare
« on: March 01, 2007, 03:55:00 am »

So I was experimenting with possible lines of defense for my front gate, and here is an evil little mechanism I came up with:

:D

I know miasma disgusts dwarves, but does it disgust other creatures too?

If not, I guess this whole thing is just for effect - bathing my enemies in purple gas will be fun anyway...

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Chemical Warfare
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 05:08:00 am »

I dunno if miasma goes through floodgates.

Poil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 06:29:00 am »

Miasma goes through anything except walls, closed doors and closed floodgates.

This defense would be awesome if you could catch diseases from miasma. What the game needs is an alchemist who traps miasma in bottles, adds some other ingrediences and creates vials of poison.

[ March 01, 2007: Message edited by: Poil ]

[DEMONLORD]

TomTheHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 09:49:00 am »

I don't believe bones, skulls and shells actually create miasma.  You may need to restrict those refuse piles to only stinky stuff, and keep bones, skulls, and shells near your craftsdwarves' shops to be made into stuff.

qwip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 11:46:00 am »

I applaud the ingenuity!  I don't know if siegers have thoughts of disgust that encourages them to retreat.

And if bad things enocourage them to retreat, would good things, like a "sublimely built bridge" or platinum masterpiece statues encourage them to destroy your fortress more so?
Heh-heh, that sounds like something evil that Toady would implement...

qwip

Efficiency is intelligent laziness

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 03:54:00 pm »

Well if they got enough bad thoughts surely they would go insane?
I can imagine a screen full of
"Goblin ______ has been stricken with melancholy!"

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 06:12:00 pm »

Alternately, if disgust was effective against invaders, you could have an elite "cave adaptation" unit... Keep them locked deep inside your fortress for years until you get a particularly bad siege, and then send them out.

They'll all vomit, which will hopefully make a few goblins (the one's exposed to miasma?) vomit, nauseating other goblins, until their whole army is incapacitated with retching goblins.

You then finish them off with some strong-stomached dwarves... Or something... Honestly, making an entire goblin army throw up is a good enough goal for me.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 07:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eiba:
<STRONG>Alternately, if disgust was effective against invaders, you could have an elite "cave adaptation" unit... Keep them locked deep inside your fortress for years until you get a particularly bad siege, and then send them out.

They'll all vomit, which will hopefully make a few goblins (the one's exposed to miasma?) vomit, nauseating other goblins, until their whole army is incapacitated with retching goblins.

You then finish them off with some strong-stomached dwarves... Or something... Honestly, making an entire goblin army throw up is a good enough goal for me.</STRONG>

Future plans for Urist?

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 09:26:00 pm »

I don't even care about the throwing up part, just the idea of Urist under siege by goblins (or humans, more likely) makes me grin.  :D

It's so cool that it really is possible for one dwarf to defend an entire fortress, just so long as they're able to pull a lever.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 10:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gakidou:
<STRONG>Future plans for Urist?</STRONG>

I was about to discount the idea entirely, as I doubt one dwarf's vomit would induce a sickness chain reaction in the goblins...

Can you assign non-criminal dwarves to chains?
It would eat into the food supply though...

I probably won't, because it probably won't work, but I if I thought it would, I'd totally have Urist take a bunch of immigrants captive until adaptation sets in and then send them out to gross out a singing party.

The goblin commander was determined to evict the Mad Dwarf and make the cave his own.
"Would you please open the door!" he yelled for the hundredth time.
Much to his surprise, it did open this time, and not one, but five pale gaunt looking dwarves stumbled out, squinting in the sunlight... Staggering about, one after another they all retched and vomited all over the place.
"Oh good god! Now that's just gross!" The goblin commander declared.

Didn't mean to threadjack, just had to get that out of my system.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 01:05:00 pm »

Interesting, but I'm surprised a goblin is using words like "please" and "good god". ;-)
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 08:49:00 pm »

I have seen a screenshot on this forum where a whole bunch of ratmen went beserk/insane/melancholy. I'm not sure if monster thoughts are the same as dwarven though...

Dumbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 11:32:00 pm »

The effects of miasma should be easy to test, just lock up a goblin behind a fortification and keep dumping cat chunks on the other side. I think I'll set up the experiment in my current fort, once I get some goblin thieves.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 06:09:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dumbo:
<STRONG>The effects of miasma should be easy to test, just lock up a goblin behind a fortification and keep dumping cat chunks on the other side. I think I'll set up the experiment in my current fort, once I get some goblin thieves.</STRONG>

That won't be a good test; monsters that get locked in a room already go insane without any miasma...