Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Time To Segregate Suggestion games?  (Read 9923 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: Time To Segregate Suggestion games?
« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2013, 08:28:27 pm »

Funnily enough, this has gotten me in the mood to do a suggestion game.

WHAT HAVE I BECOME!?

"You are a person arguing on the internet about stupid shit"

Ironically, it will be a multi-part illustrated epic.

Don't be an ass Freeform. He has argued his points well. What he argues or his position on it does not matter as long as his arguments are well thought out.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2013, 08:30:16 pm »

Don't be an ass Freeform. He has argued his points well. What he argues or his position on it does not matter as long as his arguments are well thought out.

I wasn't talking about him, I was talking about everyone in this thread, including me. I thought Fniff and Bdthemag presented very compelling arguments for segregation and were honest about it.

Alternate solution: everyone just posts in my suggestion game and ignores all the others. It's high enough quality that Dariush doesn't make fun of me.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 07, 2013, 08:31:43 pm »

Thanks, Nenjin, and Freeform. I try my best to present reasonable arguments. I used to do a lot of suggestion games, but due to players being a bit... well, sometimes kinda idiotic, it left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Say what you will about RPs, you can choose your players... if it isn't a freeformer.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 07, 2013, 08:32:43 pm »

Thanks, Nenjin, and Freeform. I try my best to present reasonable arguments. I used to do a lot of suggestion games, but due to players being a bit... well, sometimes kinda idiotic, it left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Say what you will about RPs, you can choose your players... if it isn't a freeformer.

... Nerjin. With an R. Nenjin is somebody else. Unless you were speaking to them.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 07, 2013, 08:33:08 pm »

I wasn't talking about him, I was talking about everyone in this thread, including me. I thought Fniff and Bdthemag presented very compelling arguments for segregation and were honest about it.

Alternate solution: everyone just posts in my suggestion game and ignores all the others. It's high enough quality that Dariush doesn't make fun of me.

Two things: 1) I apologize then. I mistook yourgeneral insult for a specific one.

2) Did he say something nice about it?

[Sorry for the double post.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2013, 08:33:29 pm »

Okay, we've run into an impasse. I think no matter what, our arguments are going to be basically identical for both sides, i.e "RPs/Suggestion Games NEED a large audience!". Might as well just get Toady and ask him his opinion on the split.

Does anyone follow RPs other than the participants and wait-listers? They make much less compelling storylines on their own merit, beyond participatory interest of the involved roleplayers, than good suggestion games can, because if you think it's hard to find a good suggestion GM of sufficient caliber, imagine getting six good individual roleplayers of that same rare caliber to not suck in the roleplay game, plus an equally good GM to herd cats.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 07, 2013, 08:33:49 pm »

... Nerjin. With an R. Nenjin is somebody else. Unless you were speaking to them.

Sorry, misread.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 07, 2013, 08:36:58 pm »

2) Did he say something nice about it?

Yeah, it was like being complimented by Yahtzee Croshaw.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 07, 2013, 08:37:30 pm »

Does anyone follow RPs other than the participants and wait-listers? They make much less compelling storylines on their own merit, beyond participatory interest of the involved roleplayers, than good suggestion games can, because if you think it's hard to find a good suggestion GM of sufficient caliber, imagine getting six good individual roleplayers of that same rare caliber to not suck in the roleplay game, plus an equally good GM to herd cats.

... I'm sorry, but that kinda offends me.

Roleplays can be good stories. They can be excelent stories. I myself am running a roleplay with seven participants who are all very good RPers in their own right. Sure, it required me to sift through applications that didn't really make the par, but I still ended up in the end with seven very good roleplayers who GMing for is a joy. I believe that the roleplay itself (Age of Fire, if you wanna check it out) is a perfectly alright story by itself.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 07, 2013, 08:42:16 pm »

He didn't say they weren't, he said they weren't read.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 07, 2013, 08:44:05 pm »

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 07, 2013, 08:54:26 pm »

And I stand by that. Maybe you have a good RP thread that can actually interest non-participants, but getting six good players and one good GM with styles that mesh together is much harder than one good suggestion GM filtering out the good suggestions that he unifies into his own story. Would you read a book of literature, even by world-famous authors, if every page alternated between different ones?

I'm sorry, but the structure itself of the RP has less merit as a unified story, with consistent levels and styles of story-telling. That should be obvious.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2013, 08:57:13 pm »

So, how many RPs have you read, then?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 07, 2013, 09:00:31 pm »

And I stand by that. Maybe you have a good RP thread that can actually interest non-participants, but getting six good players and one good GM with styles that mesh together is much harder than one good suggestion GM filtering out the good suggestions that he unifies into his own story. Would you read a book of literature, even by world-famous authors, if every page alternated between different ones?

I'm sorry, but the structure itself of the RP has less merit as a unified story, with consistent levels and styles of story-telling. That should be obvious.
To counter-argue, a suggestion game has the capability to be more railroaded than something such as a freeform RP can. With a suggestion game, the author can simply pick suggestions that fit with what he wants to do or simply wait until someone makes that suggestion. With a roleplaying game, the GM HAS to acknowledge the choices of the players otherwise all of the players will complain. So essentially, with a suggestion game you're getting a railroaded story that was going to end with what the author had in mind no matter what the readers wanted.

See? It's easy to argue this kind of stuff.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 07, 2013, 09:05:24 pm »

Plus, players can backstab the living hell out of each other.

This is a surprisingly overlooked part of RPs. It would be easier to have a Game of Thrones scenario in an RP then a suggestion game.

Anyway, it's not a case of "inferior substitute, superior exemplar", RPs and suggestion games are two different genres who do some things really, really well, and other things not so good.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11