Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Time To Segregate Suggestion games?  (Read 9937 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Time To Segregate Suggestion games?
« on: April 05, 2013, 04:45:17 pm »

This is the frontpage of FG&R right now:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's dominated by suggestion games. By the numbers:

Suggestion Games(And Their OOC Threads): 8
Stickies: 3
Others: 9

Suggestion games are drowning out all other types of games and it is making it harder to find other good games that are worth playing. Do you think the time has come to move Suggestion Games to their own subforums like RTDs and Mafia?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Time To Segregate Suggestion games?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 04:48:20 pm »

The logic is sound.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 04:49:33 pm »

Sounds like a plan.

(Quick next poster begin with the word plan.)
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 04:51:57 pm »

Plan's good. I like it.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 04:52:50 pm »

Planning for this sounds like a good idea.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 04:54:18 pm »

Dammit, Xant.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 05:18:56 pm »

No.

I don't agree with this.

Suggestion games thrive on the influx of enormous amounts of readers and discussion. Similar to an out-of-character thread for an RPG, I feel that diverting suggestion games to a separate sub-forum would draw part of that readership away (as many of the FG&RP players I've seen on here have never stepped foot into either of the other subforums). The very concept of suggestion game is vague, anyway. I've seen games that incorporate both reader suggestions and direct input from players to their player characters.

On the other hand, I agree that there's an outrageous amount of low-effort suggestion games that can be easily started and finished. They come and go every day and it does clutter the forum. I can see how that would make it difficult to find cool stuff.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 05:22:47 pm »

No.

I don't agree with this.

Suggestion games thrive on the influx of enormous amounts of readers and discussion. Similar to an out-of-character thread for an RPG, I feel that diverting suggestion games to a separate sub-forum would draw part of that readership away (as many of the FG&RP players I've seen on here have never stepped foot into either of the other subforums). The very concept of suggestion game is vague, anyway. I've seen games that incorporate both reader suggestions and direct input from players to their player characters.

On the other hand, I agree that there's an outrageous amount of low-effort suggestion games that can be easily started and finished. They come and go every day and it does clutter the forum. I can see how that would make it difficult to find cool stuff.
+1
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 05:24:34 pm »

Alternate solution: everyone uses Title Tags. For example:

(ISG) - Illustrated Suggestion Game
(SG) - Suggestion Game
(RP) - Roleplaying Game
(RP)(OOC) - Roleplaying Game, Out of Character

Etc.

If the only reason you want to segregate is to make it easy to find stuff, asking everyone to do this until it becomes a trend is way less drastic than a subforum split.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 05:31:38 pm »

Well obviously there is a problem here. From what I've seen the "You are..." games are the biggest offenders. They're easy to set up and all that so there are quite a few of them that are just made and then die out.. But that being said I agree they shouldn't be forced into a sub-forum. I disagree that it lowers readership. You don't go into the subs because you don't want Mafia or RTD games. I like Mafia so I often go there. If we moved "Suggestion Games" to a subforum I doubt readership would dwindle. If you want suggestion games you go to that sub. Still... This isn't something we should just "do" without a lot of consideration.

ANYWAY: I suggest a sort of "Screening" thread similar to a thread in the Mafia subforum. What this would entail is the following:

1) Suggested game is posted onto this new thread.
2) Forumites express interest or flaws in the setup.
3) If enough interest is given then they are given blessing to post the game.

This would help prevent spur of the moment threads popping up, allows the community to say "Hey, there's too many games like that going on right now. I'd wait for one of them to die.", and it helps prevent clutter overall.

It's not the perfect system. It would require someone with a lot of time. it wouldn't prevent people who don't want to follow this new protocol from posting whatever they want.

This is a primary suggestion. I'm willing to change or even scrap the idea as needed.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 05:33:51 pm »

Alternate solution: everyone uses Title Tags. For example:

(SG) - Suggestion Game
(RP) - Roleplaying Game

Etc.

If the only reason you want to segregate is to make it easy to find stuff, asking everyone to do this until it becomes a trend is way less drastic than a subforum split.

I think that would be really useful though (RP)(OOC) could be shortened to (OOC) as no other game has an (OOC) tag. Also what about conquest games? Godlikes? furthermore what about board games like "50 Tile Dash" or the "Lords of Centria: Fantasy Tactical Warfare" series?

(GDL) - Godlikes
(CON) - Conquest
(BRD) - Board Games

I would think the above are addions we should consider.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 05:39:30 pm »

See? Planning is a good idea! I approve of the above plans.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 05:47:22 pm »

I had this idea a while ago, batted off a PM to Toady, never got a response. Make of this what you will.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 06:04:54 pm »

Suggestion games are drowning out all other types of games and it is making it harder to find other good games that are worth playing. Do you think the time has come to move Suggestion Games to their own subforums like RTDs and Mafia?
I disagree with this premise. Slightly fewer than half of the front page games are suggestion games, you don't like suggestion games, therefore we need a subforum to shunt them off into. If you think they need their own section, you're going to need a better excuse than "there's kind of a lot of them and they suck."

Mind you, making up half of all forum games (as opposed to half of all forum games on the front page at the exact point when it annoyed you enough to make a thread about it) could potentially warrant a split, but again, it'd have to be on sounder logic than "and I don't like them."

(SG) - Suggestion Game
(RP) - Roleplaying Game
(GDL) - Godlikes
(CON) - Conquest
(BRD) - Board Games
On the other hand, if you feel the need to label everything anyway then maybe they're distinct and numerous enough to warrant a full split.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 06:29:53 pm »

ANYWAY: I suggest a sort of "Screening" thread similar to a thread in the Mafia subforum. What this would entail is the following:

1) Suggested game is posted onto this new thread.
2) Forumites express interest or flaws in the setup.
3) If enough interest is given then they are given blessing to post the game.

This is even more drastic than the subforum split. In fact, it's kind of hilarious. What, so someone signs up to the forum, makes You Are My Bitch, and a bunch of posters link them to the screening thread? "Sorry, you need to have your game approved by the Dark Council of Forum Game Master to post it?" There are all kinds of problems with this.

I disagree with this premise. Slightly fewer than half of the front page games are suggestion games, you don't like suggestion games, therefore we need a subforum to shunt them off into. If you think they need their own section, you're going to need a better excuse than "there's kind of a lot of them and they suck."

I agree with Irony here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11