Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The "Prisons and Guns" patch (was: "Features disabled in LCS' source code.")  (Read 3970 times)

usr_share

• Bay Watcher
  • "For great justice!"
    • View Profile

No, I mean the src/ folder.

This patch doesn't modify the art/ folder.

To use this patch on a Linux system, one has to perform the following:
  • Check out the source code from SVN.
  • Browse to the src/ folder of the repository.
  • Copy the prisons_and_guns.patch file from the downloads folder to the src folder.
  • Apply the patch by typing patch -p0 < prisons_and_guns.patch.
  • Compile as normally described.

This patch breaks save game compatibility, so be careful!

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile

What about on windows?
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/

I cleaned up the whitespace, made a few polish changes of my own, and committed your patch to SVN.

This doesn't just apply to you, but for anyone editing the code, when working on LCS, endeavor to use 3 spaces for indentation rather than TAB characters. Most source code editors have options that allow you to make the tab key insert any amount of spaces rather than an actual tab character. I know 3 spaces is a really unconventional way to indent source code, but it's the convention for the game.

What about on windows?

This type of patch is a patch for the source code, not the game itself. You would need to recompile the game in order to apply the changes. But, this will certainly end up in the next release.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile

Awesome possum. Hey, did you add the news paper that was already in game, or did you add mine?
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome possum. Hey, did you add the news paper that was already in game, or did you add mine?

Looks like he blended elements of yours into the existing story.

Teh Barple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

is this playable?

usr_share

• Bay Watcher
  • "For great justice!"
    • View Profile

First of all, I didn't expect this patch to be accepted into the LCS' code. Especially as what it did was (mostly) reintroduce stuff disabled in the game.

Well, I tried to make sure the new prison policy works just like others. It can be influenced by prison raids or prison-related news articles.

I tried to use the torture view and laws as an example to see how they can be changed, and implemented similar checks for prison laws -- that means they should be as playable as any other laws are.

Right now I've discovered that my patch still doesn't allow some modifications to the prisons view (for example, via the Liberal Guardian or media takeover). I'm really sorry for that, so, here follows a fix:

http://ompldr.org/vaTVtZg/prisons_and_guns_fix.patch

It adds a prison documentary to the list of recruit aids (the $50 option), allows Liberal Guardian articles to influence the prison views, lets the squad discuss the prison system's flaws on TV and radio, as well as allows some sleepers to influence the prisons view. Not only that, but police station and intelligence raids now also influence prison views. This seems to finally make it a view as actively modified as any other views in the game.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 12:49:20 am by usr_share »

usr_share

• Bay Watcher
  • "For great justice!"
    • View Profile

is this playable?

I haven't noticed any serious bugs. While it may be harder to influence prison views and laws right now (before the fix is applied), it is playable.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First of all, I didn't expect this patch to be accepted into the LCS' code. Especially as what it did was (mostly) reintroduce stuff disabled in the game.

Aw, I hate to see good work get swept under the rug.

Well, I tried to make sure the new prison policy works just like others. It can be influenced by prison raids or prison-related news articles.

I tried to use the torture view and laws as an example to see how they can be changed, and implemented similar checks for prison laws -- that means they should be as playable as any other laws are.

Right now I've discovered that my patch still doesn't allow some modifications to the prisons view (for example, via the Liberal Guardian or media takeover). I'm really sorry for that, so, here follows a fix:

http://ompldr.org/vaTVtZg/prisons_and_guns_fix.patch

It adds a prison documentary to the list of recruit aids (the $50 option), allows Liberal Guardian articles to influence the prison views, lets the squad discuss the prison system's flaws on TV and radio, as well as allows some sleepers to influence the prisons view. Not only that, but police station and intelligence raids now also influence prison views. This seems to finally make it a view as actively modified as any other views in the game.

Excellent. Also applied, tested, and committed.

Teh Barple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

is this playable?

I haven't noticed any serious bugs. While it may be harder to influence prison views and laws right now (before the fix is applied), it is playable.

yes but what do i do from here :3

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 08:39:42 am by Teh Barple »

usr_share

• Bay Watcher
  • "For great justice!"
    • View Profile

As the patches have been introduced into the LCS code proper, you don't have to patch the code anymore. To compile LCS on Windows, use the Visual Studio solution or a CodeBlocks project from the workspace folder.

usr_share

• Bay Watcher
  • "For great justice!"
    • View Profile

Also, I was browsing miscactions.cpp and found a reference to different squad stances. Apparently, the LCS could fight EVIL anonymously ("anonymous action"), claim themselves as LCS ("claimed action") or even put on the LCS colors -- which would totally eliminate any disguise, but make their actions even more significant (in case of radio/TV takeovers, 3 times more significant).

I wonder what happened to this feature -- was it cut for any reasons or is it just abandoned or unfinished at the moment?

seth--

• Bay Watcher
  • We need a slogan!
    • View Profile

Also, I was browsing miscactions.cpp and found a reference to different squad stances. Apparently, the LCS could fight EVIL anonymously ("anonymous action"), claim themselves as LCS ("claimed action") or even put on the LCS colors -- which would totally eliminate any disguise, but make their actions even more significant (in case of radio/TV takeovers, 3 times more significant).

I wonder what happened to this feature -- was it cut for any reasons or is it just abandoned or unfinished at the moment?
baseactions.cpp has the code to show the change stance text and stealth.cpp has code to not be stealth when wearing the lcs colors
There isn't code to handle the stance change but it should be easy to add

I'm interested too in knowing why it wasn't finished
I am confused are you saying you changed the kidnapping so it is less... Saw?
Did Saw consist of you beating them then yelling Ronald Reagan in their face?

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile

baseactions.cpp has the code to show the change stance text and stealth.cpp has code to not be stealth when wearing the lcs colors

It was only used for one release, and it was very buggy. I'm guessing it made more sense to disable this feature and focus on developing the game in other ways than to wrangle it into working correctly.
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It was only used for one release, and it was very buggy. I'm guessing it made more sense to disable this feature and focus on developing the game in other ways than to wrangle it into working correctly.

This was another feature that was finished and in the released game, but while it seemed like a good idea on paper, it didn't actually enhance the game practice, possibly due to the details of how I wrote it. It probably also was buggy, though not in a crash-the-game way, just in the fact that so many things feel like they should be affected by the decision to advertise yourselves as LCS members or not, and it's hard to account for all the things in the game that would be impacted by this.

Instead, the idea of the LCS deciding whether or not to claim an action or act anonymously was abstracted. In the past, picking a single lock in the slums would result in a LCS struck again news story on page whatever. Now you can rob apartments all day without getting a story, even if you cause an alarm in the process. Certain actions are deemed not sufficiently political or dramatic to get into the news cycle, and are only commented on when you do something bigger as well, like shoot a person.
Pages: 1 [2]