Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I just had this idea(Free Idea, Yay)  (Read 1040 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
I just had this idea(Free Idea, Yay)
« on: April 05, 2013, 02:54:17 am »

I was just perusing the community mod list when a thought came through my head "There is a Legend of Zelda mod, a Fallout mod, even a My Little Pony:FiM mod, Why isn't there a Mass Effect mod?" I have no skills in modding so I can't make it myself, but I am willing to learn to make this idea come to fruition.

Anyone who has play the Mass Effect series would know at least one thing "The ending sucks?" No Urist McStrawman, its the lore, and it was made by a company who have such expansive lore, I'm suprised no one has made even a small DF mod for it. Of course the main draw is the dialogue, and as we know DF isn't the best way to emulate this, but most other things you could do-of course the time it would take is questionable-are possible, as an example, the 'M-3 Predator Heavy Pistol' could easily be modded in as-with the Fallout, and Fallout Equestria mod have shown-guns are relatively easy to mod in.

The races would be the part that could be a bit hard, as some races are pacifists, while others are warmongers-the Hanar and Krogan come to mind-and since this is dwarf fortress, it is almost impossible to make a truly pacifist-or warmongerish-race. One suggestion is that we take creative freedom-like with the Fallout Equestria mod did with the things in its universe-and make some in-fluff reason-though it may be unnecessary as
Spoiler: Spoiler for ME3 (click to show/hide)
-for this sudden change in disposition.

I-like I said-am terrible at modding so, anything you have to contribute will be good, and any ideas are also welcome as we could after a while, we could have a big collaboration mod

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: I just had this idea(Free Idea, Yay)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 03:04:20 am »

Mass Effect is sci-fi with spaceships, different planets and heavily ranged weapon oriented. It does not translate easily into DF. That said, its not a bad idea. I am more curious why there is no shadowrun mod though ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 03:06:08 am »

I would never make ME mod because the world is not interesting enough for me. For me, it's a Star Wars universe with a new twist and less "comics"-like overall.

Now don't think I am hating, I liked the game and I thought that the ending was not bad too, but I just don't see how can we move ME universe into DF world.

I mean it was all about high tech, interstellar travel, planet variety, space ships etc... Nothing of that would work in DF :D. If only it was a bit "grounded", heh.

Mass Effect is sci-fi with spaceships, different planets and heavily ranged weapon oriented. It does not translate easily into DF. That said, its not a bad idea. I am more curious why there is no shadowrun mod though ;)
I have a mostly completed Shadowrun mod, I just have never released it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 03:15:16 am »

Meh, its just an idea, if it is impossible to make, then so be it, I just had that idea an decided to post it, so that if anyone who WAS able to make it-and wanted to-could make it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 04:00:38 am »

It's not impossible, it's just that there wont be much of ME left :).

And anyone who wants it can do it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 04:02:47 am »

I would never make ME mod because the world is not interesting enough for me. For me, it's a Star Wars universe with a new twist and less "comics"-like overall.

A star wars mod would be prety cool(im chosing star wars cause it's my favourit sci-fi universe)...
but any thing like this in the sci-fi style has to be done right or it is just cheasy givven guns are just modded crossbows. you could consider using Puntams modding scripts to make the guns (their prety cool)

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 10:11:42 pm »

This could be done, but you could do something like turian defense.. Since dwarf fortress (fortress mode) is all about building a fortress and defending it, you could do the same thing just have it be some kind of military outpost instead of a dwarven fortress.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 11:13:32 pm »

Well, I know one sci/fi universe that can easily be covered with a DF mod.

For Dune, all you just need to do is rename bookkeepers to Guildsmen, turn the dwarves into Fremen, remove elves and replace gobbos with immensely powerful gigantic worm FBs.

Oh, and somehow find a way to rig the world generation so that everywhere is warm and there are no rivers and oceans.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3