Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23

Author Topic: The Increasingly Tragic Tale of Dumplin  (Read 78152 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: The Increasingly Tragic Tale of Dumplin (Updates M/W/F)
« Reply #195 on: September 06, 2013, 04:59:23 pm »

Deleted all my buffer and am in the process of rewriting, expect update monday.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 06, 2013, 07:06:04 pm »

Eesh. Thanks for thre heads up man! Cant wait!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 06, 2013, 07:41:32 pm »

Eesh. Thanks for thre heads up man! Cant wait!

Should probably clarify, I purposely deleted all my buffer because I didn't feel it was of a quality my audience deserved.

You guys are awesome, Dwarf Fortress is awesome, and what I write must be worthy of your combined glory.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 06, 2013, 07:42:56 pm »

Ah. Thanks for thinking we are worthy of rewriting this!
Highly Opinionated Fool

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 06, 2013, 08:10:05 pm »

Ah. Thanks for thinking we are worthy of rewriting this!
Are you kidding? This is Dwarf fortress! The game that in a world of blu-ray graphics, billion dollar budgets, and massive development teams said "ascii characters, voluntary donations, and these two dudes." This is Bay 12!  The community that looked at an overpopulation of domestic pets, a peaceful sea dwelling civilization, and flesh rotting toxins and said "meat, bone-farm, and fireproof lotion." You disproved the tragedy of the commons, you transcended casual AND hardcore gaming, you are METAL. It is an honor to be part of this community it is a joy to play this game, and it is a privilege to write for you.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #200 on: September 07, 2013, 02:44:35 am »

Thank you for the effort you put into this. :)

The biggest change in writing I noticed is simply that the start was quite satirical, taking routine fort situations that every player knows, and turning them on their head. The latest texts about bold-cuddling, paranoia and so forth are not bad as such, but lack the connection to the game. Dwarves wouldnt be paranoid about a lever on top of a grate over magma, no, on the contrary, they would happily pull it if told so.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 07, 2013, 06:21:06 am »

Thank you for the effort you put into this. :)

The biggest change in writing I noticed is simply that the start was quite satirical, taking routine fort situations that every player knows, and turning them on their head. The latest texts about bold-cuddling, paranoia and so forth are not bad as such, but lack the connection to the game. Dwarves wouldnt be paranoid about a lever on top of a grate over magma, no, on the contrary, they would happily pull it if told so.

I think some of that's inevitable due to the nature of Dumplin. She's supposed to be a dwarf who doesn't do the things that normal dwarves do and questioning things that seemed strange. The different chapters focused on different elements of fortress life as Dumplin perceived them. Daily Grind was all about work, Cwivers of Dubious quality was all about dealing with nobles, Dwarven Justice System was all about well the dwarven justice system, Hairless Baboons was all about the military, and Worst Dwarf in the World is all about players whacking their dwarves. 

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 10, 2013, 02:35:34 pm »

Had a sudden surge in my workload and had to put off writing. I've got tommorrows update written now and I'm working on friday. Expect a shift towards a more familiar tone and the updates to proceed as normal.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dumplin Lakewanders and the Worst Dwarf in the World
« Reply #203 on: September 11, 2013, 05:18:46 pm »

“Ambush!”

The dwarven cry rang out like a gunshot in the crisp morning air. It hung there for a moment before it was answered by call of:
“Shut it down you bold snuggling lunatic!”
Patrol was usually very boring but today was rich with action. Most dwarves on patrol walked around the perimeter enjoying the peace and quiet, munching on the lunches they carried in their pack, and occasionally investigating the odd noise. Today however patrol was a never ending series of ambushes, assassination plots, attempted abductions, and goblin raids. Dumplin was deafened by the sound of silent assassins. Her  meal was tainted by the taste of tasteless poisons. The odd noises were met with crossbow bolts instead of investigation because that was just what they expected her to do.

The dwarves found the first and second ambush worth investigating, the third worth ignoring but ambush number eight and all ambushes thereafter provoked only angry yells from dwarves who had just aboutv enough of Dumplin Lakewanders' and her ambushes. She was ambushed by bear, and a deer, and a hawk, and a few suspicious shadows, and on one occasion a suspicious looking fish.
“Dumplin,” Bim chose his words carefully “I think we should double check to ensure the next ambush is, well, an ambush- for the purposes of security”

“Bim,” Dumplin was only loosely aware she was speaking “by the time we double check we'll have been killed by the ambush.”

“Well,” Bim considered his options. “Perhaps we should rule out certain events as ambushes, such as a flock of birds, or fish, or inanimate objects.”

“But what if there are frog men in the water, or elves in the trees, or goblins riding giant falcons?”

“Well I don't think there are frog men living in the pond, I don't think elves hide in trees, and that falcon was not giant.”

“It was very large”

“Not large enough for a goblin to ride.”

“It could have been a very small goblin.”

“There was no goblin.”

“We can't be sure of that it got away.”

“Dumplin I think you need to calm down.”

“We can't calm down everything outside the fortress walls is under eternal threat by invaders and everything inside is the dominion of a homicidal maniac!”

“We're prepared for anything that happens, you need to calm down.” 

“Every time I calm down the floor collapses beneath my feet, I always say I won't be surprised by the next hellish swerve my life takes and I decide I'm ready for whatever's coming and then I'm blindsided! It's not just me anymore, I have to worry about Obok and the Baboons. Degel is in the hospital, Stodir is in the jail, and Vakun is in a stone casket, I can't be surprised again!”

Bim gathered up his resolve. “Dumplin, you cannot live like this and we cannot live with you like this. The Baboons are all adults and they can survive without your constant fussing. We've discussed it and we're going to reorganize the work schedule so Angzak, Iral, and Stodir are always on either patrol, in the barracks, or in the watchtower to handle anything that goes wrong. We aren't going to attend any more late night meetings or entertain your paranoia. We can manage our own safety”

“You made a schedule!? Now it will be easier for the Overseer to figure out where you'll be and he'll-”

“Dumplin!”  Bim shouted. “We appreciate everything you've done and we're happy to follow your lead but we're beginning to think you've taken too much responsibility on yourself. We are responsible for our safety not you.”

Dumplin's grip on her crossbow tightened.
“I am perfectly capable of managing this squad Bim,”  she said through clenched teeth.

“You've been spending your nights banging rocks  together, assembling insane contingency plans, and crawling on the floor to read the carvings.”

“That's what it takes to keep everyone alive Bim!”

“Dumplin this isn't helping anyone!”

Before she could reply a rustling caught her eye and in a fluid motion she swung around, fired her crossbow into the brush, and loosed a cry of:
“Ambush!”

She was immediately answered by a call from the distance.

“Lakewanders I will shut this gate and make you sleep out there!”

“It's monkeys!” Bim yelled in vain. “Dumplin it's just a few monkeys!”

“We're surrounded!”

“Dumplin they'll circle for a little bit and leave,  just stand your ground!”

“Bim help!”

“Dumplin calm down!”

Dumplin lashed out like a whirlwind striking at tiny bodies, stomping on tiny limbs, and pleaing for aid. The bulk of the troop fled in different directions but she felt something touch her shoulder deadly close to Obok. She spun to drive the butt of her crossbow into the child snatcher and Bim struck the ground with a thud. He lied there clutching his stomach and groaning for a moment before Dumplin recovered the presence of mind to extend a hand.
“No!” His reply was sharp as he slapped the hand away and found his feet. “I've had enough of this, I'll trade jobs with Iral- maybe he'll have the stomach for this madness!”

“Bim I'm sorry-”

“No!” He snapped again, a look of fury hanging upon his kind face. “You've gone insane and if you ever remember who you are again then there will be something to discuss!”

Dumplin stood silently as the old dwarf made his way back to the fortress.

Dumplin Lakewanders was at war with a being commanding the resources of a fortress, the population of a city, and the self-importance of a god. Dumplin Lakewanders was losing and she was losing more than she'd ever imagined.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 11, 2013, 07:09:44 pm »

Jeaze, someone gotta go be a hermit in the woods or somethink.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 12, 2013, 06:47:32 pm »

i was sort of hoping that at some point she would spiral and become a normal dwarf... shirking her duties and drinking in the food stockpile--and inadvertently avoid everything the overseer does to try to kill her.

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 13, 2013, 04:05:24 pm »

This chapter was really enjoyable and was worth the wait.  Thanks for continuing Dumplin's tragic tale.  :)
I really like how her breakdown is being handled.  It really gives us insight into the terror she's feeling, and it was pretty funny too, although that may just be me being mean.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dumplin Lakewanders and the Worst Dwarf in the World
« Reply #207 on: September 13, 2013, 05:05:06 pm »

“So.” Bim chose his words carefully. “I think we need to... reaffirm our leadership.”
The baboons had assembled in the hospital, Stodir had recently been released but Degel was still in recovery. While the medical team was skilled and numerous it was apparently it was not unheard of for dwarves to be ignored in the hospital for days or weeks when a party broke out in the dining hall or a few breaks coincided.
“I'm doing a fine job of running this squad Bim!” Dumplin recognized she'd stumbled but if the baboons left her control they would be in horrible danger.

“Well you are patently insane.” Angzak replied.

“Also you did lewd things to a kobold.” Inod added.

“That didn't happen and that's not true!”  Dumplin snapped back

“Well the alternative is the elf-fondler.”  Iral pointed out.

“I don't fondle elves!” Degel insisted.

“He can fondle all the elves he wants Iral!”  Tath said.

“I'm not an Elf-Fondler” Degel said from his bed. “Also, I don't want to be leader, I'm no good at leading!”

“You tried to save Vakun.”  Bim contended.

“I failed to save Vakun!” Degel replied.

“Speaking of, we need a new member.” Athel said.

“We can't put more dwarves in danger!” Dumplin insisted.

“Well if we have an extra dwarf maybe they'll be killed before us.” Iral said.

“Nobody else is getting killed!” Dumplin yelled.

“Then there's no reason we can't have a tenth member.” Bim pointed out.

“I think the biggest question is whether elf fondling is worse than bold snuggling.” Inod suggested.

“It's not!” Degel said. “And I don't fondle elves, they're just sort of nice.”

“So you would campaign as the anti-fondling candidate?” Athel asked.

“Fondling isn't relevant in this election!” Degel said.

“We aren't having any election!” Dumplin shouted.

“That's precisely the point!” Bim retorted. “Degel is the captain and the fact that he hasn't been leading us is a product of his incompetence.”

“He shouldn't be leading us if he's incompetent.”  Dumplin replied.

“I'm not incompetent!” Degel contended.

“Well Degel has yet to start a private war with the entire fortress, if you really care about keeping the squad safe then you can't lead it.”

Dumplin tried to form words but they caught in her throat.

“Then it's decided.” Bim said with gravity. “We follow Degel now.”

“Are you going to decriminalize elf-fondling?” Tath asked.

“I don't fondle elves!”

“Hush the both of you!” Bim snapped.

Dumplin sank. She was tasked with protecting dwarves who didn't want or appreciate protection. Her stomach turned a little sour as she felt a sudden sense of kinship with the Overseer.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 13, 2013, 05:06:55 pm »

Caught the flu and I'm not handling it well. I've been bed ridden for two days and I'm not at my best, if you spot something wrong with this bit please let me know.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 13, 2013, 07:59:20 pm »

Nothing seems wrong to me.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23