Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23

Author Topic: The Increasingly Tragic Tale of Dumplin  (Read 78132 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: The Increasingly Tragic Tale of Dumplin
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2013, 10:37:41 am »

Posting to watch. This is a brilliant story and has gotten me back into the game.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2013, 08:16:30 am »

Cerol Sabershaft did not explain himself to garbage dwarves. Dumat was sent back into the fortress and  away from the battlefield. She had no idea what conscription would mean for her life in Arrowstockades but it couldn't be worse than Goblin Christmas. “Find Captain Degel,” was all she had in the way of orders.
   The barracks, she thought, would be as likely a place as any to find a militia captain. She went upstairs to the roof, as though she was headed to the hospital, but this time she went directly forward into a medium sized rotunda where dwarves lapped in different qualities of armor there were a few protected by the same brilliant and ornately decorated aquamarine armor that Cerol wore. Others wore armor she recognized as nearly impenetrable welded mithril, most wore common but high quality steel, and pair of dwarves in oppressively heavy and not spectacularly tough bronze armor. One of the least impressive dwarves was sleeping on the ground, grumbling a bit when he an errant boot struck him, and the other sat trying ineffectually to load his crossbow without a left hand. Knowing her place in Arrowstockades far too well she had no delusions about which of the many dwarves in the barracks were her new squadmates.
   “Hello,” she said. “Which one of you is Captain Degel?”

AN: So, exams have ended but with my new free time I've suffered a relapse and have begun injecting Skyrim directly into my veins. I'm going to schedule a little writing time each day so I can get back to the twice a day updates.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dumplin Lakewanders and the Hairless Baboons
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2013, 04:59:33 pm »

The one handed dwarf kicked the sleeping dwarf. He groggily muttered and sat up.
“Captain Degel Steelycrew,” he said with drool drying on his chin. “Who're you?”
“Dumplin Lakewanders,” Dumat Stakepondered replied. It was easier to go by the name she'd been given than to go through the confusion again. “Cerol told me to join your squad.”
“Oh dear,” Said Degel rising to his feet. “I guess he was serious about finding conscripts for my squad. I was supposed to find nine dwarves but so far only Inod was willing to join.”
The one handed dwarf she took to be Inod had his feet on either arm of his crossbow and was trying to draw the string and succeeded in sending the crossbow flying back into his face.
“This isn't working, you'll have to do it for me!”
“No Inod I'm talking!”
“You can just reload it and hand it back when we're shooting at goblins!”
“No Inod I'm talking!”
“Excuse me.” Dumplin said.  “Do you have any orders?”
“Um...” Degel paused. “Find some equipment. You'll need metal boots, greaves, gauntlets, mail, a breastplate, and a helmet. There should be plenty down in the stockpiles.”
It was at that point a warm thought struck her. Without another word she ran, down the stairs and through the halls deftly dodging passersby until she reached the finished goods stockpile wholly out of breath. She rifled through bin after bin sifting through priceless golden trinkets, tattered socks, coils of rope, flasks, garishly decorated skull totems and unsealed jugs full of honey, before she finally found what she was looking for. The quality was too poor to be of interest for anyone else and it's valuable was so negligible that selling it to the merchants was not worth while. It was deemed beneath sale or acquisition and so it had sat unloved for nearly five years. Inlaid with bone, decorated with glass, carved ornately, and the interior padded with lovingly stitched silk it was her masterpiece. She slung the strap over her shoulder and stood proudly with the quiver at her hip.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2013, 07:13:19 am »

Awww. Now that's sweet.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear no man, and trust no wizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2013, 01:42:27 pm »

Great story, I'm really inspired to get back into DF. It's been far too long since I made a haul-slave and generated an unofficial master-race of super-dwarves.
Greater Collection
Quote from: Steel Resolve
I shall be ready! My head is full of disturbing but useful information. And all it cost me was my peace of mind and sanity. A bargain!
They told me to aim higher, so we dug deeper.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2013, 11:33:11 pm »

So five consecutive days of Skyrim have finally satisfied my hunger and I'm once again prepared to start keeping my schedule. I've already got tomorrows updates done and I'm starting work on a buffer in case I get distracted by a shiny object.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2013, 10:28:07 am »

For five years Dumplin had passed through different levels of hell and she'd learned to adapt. Even in the madness of Arrowstockades there were patterns and where there were patterns technique could be refined. With practice and dedication even a city born dwarf like Dumat was more than capable of learning to survive. But now, now the days of posturing and rolling with the punches seemed to be over. She was no longer pretending and no longer surviving. Now that she walked the halls of Arrowstockades appearing quite imperial clad in bronze armor, crossbow at rest, Obok on her shoulder, and a quiver of her own design bristling with bolts on her hip she was in control. The nervousness she felt at the thought of becoming a warrior, the sickness she felt from slaying the goblin, and the sense of unease inherent to walking the halls of Arrowstockades all burned away in the face of her raw excitement. No force on heaven or earth could intimidate her today.

She marched triumphantly, if awkwardly due to her inexperience with armor, back to the barracks. She stood proudly for a moment hoping to catch the eye and earn the praise of one of her peers but she quickly remembered that as the most junior dwarf of the most useless squad she was the least impressive dwarf in the entire military. Degel sat stroking his beard and Inod was wholly inverted, feet planted on either arm of his crossbow, and his back against the wall trying desperately to draw back his crossbow string.

“I have my equipment.” Dumplin said.

“That's good,” Degel replied. “You're a full fledged member of the Hairless Baboons now.”

“Why do they call us the Hairless Baboons?” Dumplin asked.

“I don't know.” Degel replied.

“We keep asking them to stop.” Inod said.

“Now that you have equipment you should carry some paper and charcoal to write down where you leave it.”

“Leave what?” Dumplin asked.

“Your equipment,” Degel said matter of factly. “If you drop it on the ground you'll be able to remember where you left it when it's your turn to train.”

“Why would I drop my equipment on the ground?” Dumplin asked.

“Well sometimes when it's hot I just take off a piece and leave it on the ground and come back to it when I get orders. Then if it's still hot I drop another and another, sometimes I leave pieces laying around in the barracks or in my room or in the dining hall and then when it's time to train or mobilize I forget where some of it is and I show up without any bolts, or without my quiver. Heck, last time we received orders I forgot my crossbow so I just cheered for the other archers until they asked me to leave.”

“Maybe you should keep your armor on, or store it in the armory until you need it.” Dumplin suggested.

“That sounds complicated.” Degel said apprehensively.

“It's easier than dropping it all over the fortress.” Dumplin replied.

“No, I think my ways better.” Degel insisted. “Besides, if I write down where I keep my armor on the front of the paper I can write down potential squad members on the back.”

“You could still carry the paper-”

“I'm having trouble finding new squad mates.” Degel explained. “I keep asking but nobody wants to join because everyone hates me.”

“It's true.” Inod said inadvertently launching his crossbow into the air. “Everyone hates him because he's secretly an elf.”

“I'm not an elf!”

“That doesn't stop him from fondling them.”

“I don't fondle elves!”

“He's even a flower picker.”

“I'm an herbalist!”

“He drank too much mead and said he wants to marry an elf.”

“I do not want to marry an elf I just admire them for their marital bonds.”

“See, he likes elf bondage. I saw him eying a naked elf prisoner once.”

“First of all that's not what that means and second of all it was in the middle of the dining hall, it was hard not to notice!”

“He's an elf fondler.”

“I'm not an elf fondler!”

“Now,” Dumplin began quickly cutting off the pairs discussion. “Being a soldier is a big commitment. They probably just aren't cut out for it, I'm sure they don't think you fondle elves.” Dumat assured.

“No.” Degel said. “When they say no they always say it's because they hate me for being an elf fondler. They're very specific.”

Dumplin had nothing to say that wouldn't be incredibly sad so she settled on prolonged awkward silence. While she waited for Degel to say some other horrible thing a thought struck her.

“I think I know where you can find plenty of willing participants.”

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dumplin Lakewanders and the Hairless Baboons
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2013, 10:34:28 am »

“I think I know where you can find plenty of willing participants.”

Oh no...
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2013, 02:36:22 pm »

hooray feb is joining the squad
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2013, 07:43:36 pm »

Dumplin Lakewanders came to a rest at the foot of the grand staircase and Degel Steelycrew clambered down to meet her .
“You know,” he wheezed. “When you said willing participants I thought you meant elves to fondle.”

“I know.” Dumplin replied.

“Not because I fondle elves.” Degel clarified. “Just because of the way you phrased it.”

“I know.” Dumplin replied.

“There are too many stairs here!” Inod whined lagging far behind.

“The cavern dwarves should be eager to find a way to return to the fortress.”

“And they won't accuse me of fondling elves?”

“Not if you don't give them a reason to. Don't just start denying you fondle elves, it makes you sound guilty.”

“There had better be a faster way back up!” Inod threatened, laboring down the remaining stairs.

“How could there be a faster way up?” Degel asked. “Do you think there's another path that covers the same distance with fewer stairs?”

“Maybe there's a waterfal we can swim up.”

“That's so much more difficult than climbing stairs!”

“No it isn't.”

“Yes it is you would get tired and drown.”

“I would just hold my head outside the water.”

“If your head isn't under the water the gravity will pull you down.”

“Don't tell me how heavy my head is.”

“Maybe we should  go recruiting now.” Dumplin interrupted.

“You're right.” Said Degel. With a sharp exhale he pushed open the doors.

A few hundred feet away from where the stone, ore, silk., and gems were stacked was the small encampment where the most reviled dwarves of the entire fortress resided. These poor souls were denigrated to the most menial of labor, robbed of all security and community, and forced to survive on the little nourishment the caverns could offer. Spread out around a large central bonfire dwarves

“Hello!” Degel said. The dirty congregation stared at him. “I fondle elves!”

Dumplin quickly pulled him off to the side. “I should have been clearer.” She apologized. “When I said don't deny you fondle elves I meant stop saying that you don't fondle elves, not to start saying you fondle elves.”

“Oh.” Degel turned back to the crowd. “I will not confirm nor deny that I fondle elves!”

“That wasn't better.” Dumplin said.

“I'm looking for new members to join my squad, the hairless baboons.”

The response was a long period of silence followed by a call of “Elf Fondler” and a series of jeers.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2013, 09:01:31 pm »

i love this story

i also love you broseph
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2013, 08:07:12 pm »

this and likot soap eater are so dead

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2013, 08:46:11 pm »

this and likot soap eater are so dead

Not really. Some of the other forumites have lots of other things to do with their time- work, uni, family, etc. It's possible Broseph is just taking a break.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2013, 10:42:21 pm »

So if you've ever followed a community story, webcomic, blog etc. you've probably noticed a pattern that eventually the author starts apologizing for not posting more often than they post and then it dies forever.

That is not happening.

I've had some stuff to sort through and I got addicted to Unreal World so I did get behind with my posts but I repeat:

This is not dead.

I have the story clearly plotted out from right now until the end, I am not just going to forget about this. I will be posting at least one update tomorrow and I should get back to regularly updating very shortly. On my dwarven honor this story will be told.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2013, 09:40:15 am »

Despite his desperate efforts to rebuff his own indictments Degel failed to persuade the mob that he did not in fact fondle elves. The chuckling and hollering went on until a voice called out from the back. 

“Hold!” Cried a filthy dwarf. Moss thick in his beard and his elegant clothes in rags the speaker was the shell of the Jeweler Bim. In the caverns simple amenities were precious treasures and Dumats gifts to Bim had made him very wealthy. His bucket meant he held a source of fresh water that could be accessed without treading near the treacherous pools. His pillow meant when he laid his head down at night it would rest comfortably off of the damp moss and he would rise comfortable and dry. His blanket meant precious warmth when one had the misfortune to be too far from the central fire. He used these precious things to ensure his own comfort and on occasion loaned them to others in exchange for favors. Bim was as low as any garbage dwarf could ever be but in the caverns he was king.

“I know one of these dwarves,” he motioned to Dumplin. “I'm certain that if she's cast her lot in with this elf-fondler--”

“I won't confirm or deny—”

“Hush you!” Bim snapped. “I'm certain that it mustn’t be as bad as it sounds.”

“He only fondles elves on the weekends.” Inod added.

“You hush too.” Bim snapped.

“It is a very big decision.” Dumplin said. “You would have to patrol every other month, train occasionally, and you wouldn't be able to live in the burrow anymore.”

She had their rapt attention now.

“You wouldn't be able to wear your old clothes either. You'd have to wear a uniform that includes a full suit of padded leather clothes. It's a very regimented life, you'd be expected to live in the barracks, that means no sleeping wherever you please, and you'd have to eat and drink rations instead of just drinking out of puddles and eating mushrooms whenever you feel like it. You may never see the caverns again. Now is anyone still ready to sign on?”
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23