Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23

Author Topic: The Increasingly Tragic Tale of Dumplin  (Read 78149 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Dumplin Lakewanders and The Worst Dwarf in The World
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2013, 10:40:28 am »

Your praise has summoned the ancient power of the bonus weekend update!

This is the last chapter of The Hairless Baboons, on Monday we start The Worst Dwarf in The World.

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Increasingly Tragic Tale of Dumplin (Updates M/W/F)
« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2013, 02:34:43 pm »

good work.  keep it coming. 

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dumplin Lakewanders and the Worst Dwarf in the World
« Reply #152 on: August 12, 2013, 02:49:11 pm »

Life, like fortress design is an unforgiving thing. Every decision is like a cut into block of marble, great or small every choice limits all future options. Dumplin Lakeponders was not a warrior. She made that decision proudly and she would stand by it for the rest of her life. However, she was still a soldier. Two circumstances warranted the release a dwarf from the Arrowstockades military. Death, and injuries so severe that death is a far fairer alternative.

The retirees of the fortress military trudged through their miserable existence closer to death than life. Their bodies maimed beyond all recognition and the horrors of war plain upon their faces they went about their business. They were always very happy and very industrious, those retirees. They knew they were blessed to have survived their service and twice blessed to have lived in such a glorious fortress. They were also quite aware that if their work was somehow lacking or they were somewhat less than grateful that the caverns could always swallow one more soul.

No, though she never had much say in the matter she was a soldier and until she died she would be a soldier. A decision that she did make did regret and could not take back was hugging the kobold rather than crossing her arms and refusing to fight. She was now a bold-snuggler. Dwarves sneered at her in the corridors and laughed when they thought she couldn't hear. They told stories about how she had been forcibly pried from a kobolds passionate embrace, about what exactly she'd done to warrant being stabbed by the thief, and about how in the right light Obok's eyes were a peculiar shade of  yellow. These jabs however were the least of her concerns.

She had spit in the face of the the entire Arrowstockades military tradition and ruined a perfectly fine murder party with  a display of affection. The hallowed graves of Arrowstockades swelled with the bodies of dwarves who had perpetrated far less dire slights against far less important institutions. Inferior to goblin ambush or forgotten beast attack but superior to assassins and gnomish revenge attacks “unfortunate accidents” were among the most common causes of death within the fortress.

It wasn't uncommon for a dwarf to accidentally be entombed inside a wall, or to stand in a magma channel that was accidentally dug beneath their feet, or to fall asleep beneath the venomous snake and loose arrow disposal hatch which had accidentally been created over their bed.  The idea of an accident occurring in an environment as rigidly managed as a fortress was laughable. If you offended the overseer ,even  a little, the best possible outcome was that he made your life hell rather than making it brief. In that sense Dumplin Lakewanders was very very lucky. In every meaningful sense her life was ruined.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 11:17:56 pm by Broseph Stalin »

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #153 on: August 13, 2013, 02:50:39 am »

The retirees of the fortress military trudged through life more living than dead.

Did you mean more dead than living?
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2013, 09:47:57 am »

The retirees of the fortress military trudged through life more living than dead.

Nice catch

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 13, 2013, 12:57:25 pm »

Nice catch
I actually thought that was an intentional inversion: as long as they aren't down in the caverns, the veterans are barely more alive than dead.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I admire how much character portrait and development you can milk from the madness that is a well-running dorf fort.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 13, 2013, 01:09:48 pm »

I actually thought that was an intentional inversion: as long as they aren't down in the caverns, the veterans are barely more alive than dead.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I admire how much character portrait and development you can milk from the madness that is a well-running dorf fort.

1. I fucking love that imagery and I will be including it later in the story.

2.Thank you, I think there's a lot of untapped beauty in Dwarf Fortress that we're all just too busy to notice.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 14, 2013, 03:53:33 pm »

The day following the bold snuggling incident she received a rather large amount of bad news rather quickly. First, the Hairless Baboons were now deemed exactly as useless as initially assumed and Cerol's grand experiment was over. They would no longer train whenever it was convenient and spend the rest of their time however they liked. Positions would rotate daily so that at all times two dwarves would train, two would patrol, two would man watchtowers and the remaining four would function as civilians. Further, every member of the Hairless Baboons was restored to full duty as a laborer. This meant before and after their military duty they would spend each day working leaving no time for recreation and a scarce few hours for sleep. For the cavern dwarves this meant routinely returning to their own personal hell. For Inod this meant long hour of backbreaking labor and nauseating smoke burning remains. For Degel this meant an morning and evening of leisurely flower picking to unwind. For Dumplin this meant she was going to be run into the ground.

The second bit of bad news that Dumplin received was that she was once again deemed competent to haul stone. Not only was she capable of hard manual labor she was also fit for every other unappreciated, difficult, and unpleasant task in the fortress. She was now an oven operator serving beside Inod shoveling carcasses, a fish cleaner removing and disposing of the inedible bits of the fishermen's bounty, she was even named the new fortress hivekeeper. The position of hivekeeper, she was told, could be held by only one dwarf at a time so as to mitigate the damage done. Hivekeepers you see had a nasty habit of going insane from the neverending series of bee stings, standing in the forest, and waiting to die of thirst. Any time the manager came across a particularly miserable work order he smiled to himself and wrote Fumplin Logbonglers because he was an illiterate but the go-betweens always made sure that they found their way to Dumplin.

After hauling a wheelbarrow full of gold ore to the furances, burning more rat carcasses than a person of character ought to burn, removing the ickier parts of a few dozen fish, being stung several dozen times, and explaining to several dwarves that she was not in fact plotting her next bold snuggling she received her third bit of bad news.  Her husband as it turned out as spouse of a bold snuggler was no longer considered important enough to justify his own room. Certainly a simple militia captain, his veteran wife, and their young son should gladly sleep in the dormitories so that Bemul Sheap-Shearer, the dwarf whose sole element of notability came from the fact his back was once broken by a wheel of cheese in a display of bad luck and stupidity, could have a bedroom all his own. As it turned out her sleep schedule for the dormitorieshad gone more or less ignored. After a day of nonstop labor the desire to adhere to an orderly schedule was overridden by the compulsion to collapse into a warm bed. After she was dubbed a bold snuggler the schedule had been outright abandoned and dwarves appeared to be going to bed early just to ensure she had to sleep on the floor. As she lie on one of the softer piles of dust surrounded by the cacophonous snoring of work weary dwarves she sought comfort in her dear husband.

It was at this point she received bad news number four. Her husband was not particularly pleased that the room he'd earned for them was stripped away, that he was being put back on corpse duty, and that five years of hard work had been undone all because of his wife's unilateral decision making. She tried to lay out the facts but Asen little desire to speak to her and less to hear what she had to say.

Dumplin stared at the ceiling. She'd always been shocked by the cruelty of Arrowstockades but she now understood that was simply the way business was done. The overseer did not work dwarves to death or subject them to immeasurable horrors because he despised them, it was just how he kept the fortress running.  She had never actually seen the terrifying might of the dwarven war machine focused on causing her deliberate harm. She only appreciated now that the fortress was very, very large and she was very, very small. The cold, logical, efficiency was now abandoned. The Overseer saw her, the fortress saw her, and they were very angry.

She ran her fingers over her quiver. She had no choice but to hope and pray that the inscription was more than a lie she told herself to feel better. She had to believe that someday she would find something that made all these hardships worth facing. A feeling of illness overcame her as the warmth that drove her onwards left her body. For the first time she sincerely began to regret leaving the city, she lamented coming to the fortress, she began to seriously question whether these were trials to overcome or a series of parallel causes of death. For every dwarf that became a hero against impossible odds there were a thousand who quite in line with the odds accomplished little more than contributing in some small part to the filling of a mass grave. Any happy thoughts she clung to couldn't silence the sound of Feb One-Eye's snarling voice barking “Garbage Dwarf” over and over in her head.   

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 14, 2013, 09:58:32 pm »

can i ask what happened to poor kobold
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

snjwffl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 14, 2013, 11:39:34 pm »

Well, the embrace was broken by armored dwarfs , meaning members of the militia had a Kobold within sight.  This has three possible endings: (1) the entire military of Arrowstockades was annihilated, (2) those armored dwarfs are still kicking the Kobold's head, and (3) the Kobold died.

cross33

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2013, 01:29:51 pm »

Well, the embrace was broken by armored dwarfs , meaning members of the militia had a Kobold within sight.  This has three possible endings: (1) the entire military of Arrowstockades was annihilated, (2) those armored dwarfs are still kicking the Kobold's head, and (3) the Kobold died.
In other words there's a 50/50 shot he's still alive

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 16, 2013, 05:57:08 pm »

After a few long days of long labor in the fields, caverns, and forest and silent nights with Asen Dumplin had learned enough of the new routine to prepare her counteroffensive. Captain and sole leader of the Hairless Baboons Degel joined Dumplin at the mandatory meeting she'd scheduled to discuss the groups future. In the few seconds where she wasn't distracted by nonstop labor Dumplin spent her time planning. She was confident that she could survive whatever the fortress brought down but she dragged the baboons into the fray and she would not have their blood on her hands.
   Getting the whole group together meant that they had to surrender an hour of precious sleep now that they were being run ragged. Iral was a more dishevelled variety of crazy, Angzak's energetic zeal was sapped, and Tath had apparently neglected her hygiene. Her greatest concern was the new orders to patrol. The patrol outside the walls was one of the most dangerous activities the military regularly engaged in. The patrols kept dangerous beasts from entering the fortress, and dangerous beasts on occasion required significant persuasion to be deterred.  They were the ones charged with spotting and chasing off thieves, assassins, and childsnatchers often being injured or killed in the process. They were the ones who spotted marauding werebeasts before they could weak havoc, and their efforts were often repaid with dismemberment. Most fearfully of all they were the ones who spotted ambushes before they could penetrate the fortress defenses.
   When an ambush was spotted was immediate cessation of all outside labor and dwarves outside were given a few brief minutes to find their way back before the gates were sealed and the military was rallied. It was not unknown for the soldiers of Arrowstockades to take up more than an hour to assemble and prepare to mobilize as a unit. In that time anyone with the misfortune to be trapped outside was left to flee into the dense wood and hopelessly attempt to survive long enough for cavalry to arrive. If it was a few Baboons who were trapped outside Dumplin expected the military may not be in any rush to save them. If the fortress procedure wouldn't save them then Dumplin would make her own.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 16, 2013, 09:58:38 pm »

i only read this and likot soapeater because i like the publishers and they are interesting stories.  if i may suggest, i love when main character gets a pet.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 16, 2013, 10:40:51 pm »

i only read this and likot soapeater because i like the publishers and they are interesting stories.  if i may suggest, i love when main character gets a pet.

Dumplin already has a pet silly, we all saw how attached she is to that kobold.  :P
But in all seriousness I doubt she's in much of a position to be focusing on a pet right now.

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #164 on: August 16, 2013, 10:46:16 pm »

If she got a pet, she would be forced to kill and eat it at some point.
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23