Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Huge problem need advice before next move!  (Read 679 times)

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Huge problem need advice before next move!
« on: February 27, 2007, 12:01:00 am »

NOTICE: I LIKE TO WRITE STORIES SO THERE IS A LONG VERSION AND SHORT VERSION, SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM IF YOU WANT THE SHORT VERSION BUT THE LONG VERSION IS VERY ENTERTAINING.

Okay, so everything was going good and fine. My doomsday weapon, the magma flow that goes out into the world was working fine, flood gates worked, aquaducts, lever, everything was fine, and i tested it out at a siege and it worked like a charm and everything was great.

Skip forward a year or so towards the end of winter, all is going normal, business as usual, then all of a sudden i get a strange new announcement:

Basalt Floodgate Destroyed.

What could that mean? I thought to myself. I looked around for hostiles to see if i was being ambushed ; nothing.

I looked at my farm floodgates to see if someting happened ; nothing.

Then, with fear, i looked at my doomsday device floodgate at the magmaflow ; one of the floodgates had...disappeared?

I wasn't sure what to make of it, so i simply had a dwarf go and set up a new floodgate thinking it was a random one time thing ; wrong.

Soon after i got another similar announcement:

Pumice Floodgate Destroyed.

I looked back... and low-and-behold.. my second floodgate wasn't necesarily GONE, but it was in "item" form as in it wasn't installed as a floodgate that would stop anything...and magma was already rushing out of it...

There was nothing else besides that to stop the magma, i never in my wildest dreams expected this to happen so i never planned any back up devices. In a panic i tried to get a door put up at the end of the tunnel, but i had no doors, but i did have some other flood gates which unfortunately had randomly chosen to be studded with silver and was at the opposite end of my base.

Despite the imminent doom, i tried to have a dwarf set it up. As i quickly began to accept that it wouldn't work, in a last ditch attempt at saving my fort, i tried to destroy my aquaduct. One of my quicker miners got right on it, he was even half way down the tunnel when the magma crossed it...No escape...

I immediately called all dwarves inside and locked the doors leading to the outside.

At this moment : The world is flooded with magma, 2 trappers and a mason were caught before they could escape, unfortunately.

-------------

Short version:

Floodgates to my magma doomsday device that floods the world with magma were "destroyed" and the world is flooded with magma (but my dwarves are safe at the moment).

1.) Is there anything that can be done?
2.) Why were my floodgates "destroyed"?    :eek:

[ February 27, 2007: Message edited by: ColonelTEE3 ]

[ February 27, 2007: Message edited by: ColonelTEE3 ]

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

UncleTumble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Huge problem need advice before next move!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 12:12:00 am »

Not sure if your fortress can be saved, but I believe the destroyed floodgates is the work of magmamen, who delight in tearing apart dwarven buildings on the magma flow. This is includes forges, furnances, and unfortunately floodgates.

I build my "magma doomsday devices" by digging a long channel from the floodgate at the magma flow to another floodgate at the entrace of a cavern leading outside. The magma won't overflow the channel, so even if both floodgates somehow go down, disaster should be averted.

Sorry this doesn't help you now, but for future reference.

(Actually, I doubt they'll make it in time, but you could try having a miner dig a channel at the cave entrance to stop the outpouring magma.)

(EDIT: Just re-read your post and figured out that this wouldn't work anyway. If the world is already flooded, I'm pretty sure your choices are to abandon, or to keep on trucking with a "hermit fortress" cut off from access to the outside world. On the bright side, no more +narrow cave spider cloth trousers+ cluttering your hallways.)

[ February 27, 2007: Message edited by: UncleTumble ]

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 12:22:00 am »

No i know for a definite fact it wasn't a magma man's work, one because there were no magma men around when it happened, the only thing it said was "basalt floodgate has been destroyed".

And more importantly, soon after that a magma man DID coincidentally attack, and he DID destroy a floodgate and it DID say "Pumice floodgated destroyed by magma man" which means if it was done by him, he would have gotten credit.

Right now im going for my very last hope at saving this fortress by making a bridge from my upper chasm bridge, down to the lower one that connects the magma, and if i get in right between where the magma doesn't flow over into the chasm... maybe... JUST MAYBE.... i could destroy the bridge and floodgate and that MIGHT stop the flooding.

It's a faint whisper of a hope but its a hope and thats all i care about...

leather coat

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 01:16:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ColonelTEE3:
<STRONG>No i know for a definite fact it wasn't a magma man's work, one because there were no magma men around when it happened, the only thing it said was "basalt floodgate has been destroyed".
</STRONG>

That's what it will say, even if it was a magma man, and your dwarves just didn't see it.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 01:27:00 am »

You can destroy channels by causing a cave in.
Is the magma at any point going through a channel it would be safe to dig near?

[ February 27, 2007: Message edited by: Eiba ]

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 01:58:00 am »

No, i tried everything:

First i tried building that bridge from my original first bridge when i first crossed the chasm, and built a vertical one extending down to the bridge and aquaduct carrying magma. I succeeded in destroying the aquaduct, ironically, and unfortunately, the stone bridge continued to transport lava across and all attempts at building a vertical aquaduct to the bridge failed instantly.

My second idea was to build a bridge extending from my bridge over the underground river, but as most of you knew while i did not know, steam is nearly as lethal as lava it's self....The events following the attempt at recovering one dwarf's items when he died from the steam were so horrific i dare not speak them allowed....

And now i've given up... Umarducim, a great town of 20 war dogs,40 trained soldiers, 184 dwarfs total and a foodstock pile of 2100... was brought to its knees in blood and agony all within a season...

leather coat

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 03:31:00 pm »

I like the idea of blasting channels by causing a cave-in. It should be safe to dig next to your filled channels to create 7x7 areas, then abandon the area and wait for the cave-in.

Also, steam is fatal for you? What climate is your fortress in? (Steam is not fatal for me, and magma does not melt things or burn wooden furniture, but all of my fortresses are in tundra or glacier areas)

Before someone says "OMG TURN ON TEMPERATURE" again, it is very much enabled.

[ February 27, 2007: Message edited by: SL ]

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 03:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SL:
<STRONG>Before someone says "OMG TURN ON TEMPERATURE" again, it is very much enabled.</STRONG>

Are you sure that's not "weather"?
Because it sounds odd that magma has no effect on wood.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 03:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SL:
<STRONG>I like the idea of blasting channels by causing a cave-in. It should be safe to dig next to your filled channels to create 7x7 areas, then abandon the area and wait for the cave-in.

[ February 27, 2007: Message edited by: SL ]</STRONG>

What do you mean channels? I never built any channels, i just dug a route for the magma to pass through but i never went uild channel or anything like that.... would a cave in work? And could go make a diagram or try to describe it more? I was actually thinking about trying that before i gave up, its no use now but im still interested.

leather coat

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 04:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast:
<STRONG>
Are you sure that's not "weather"?
Because it sounds odd that magma has no effect on wood.</STRONG>

:mad:

No. Both weather and temperature are enabled.

quote:
Originally posted by ColonelTEE3:
<STRONG>

What do you mean channels? I never built any channels, i just dug a route for the magma to pass through but i never went uild channel or anything like that.... would a cave in work? And could go make a diagram or try to describe it more? I was actually thinking about trying that before i gave up, its no use now but im still interested.</STRONG>

No channels? D:

You're basically out of luck.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive