Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fallout 3 being weird.  (Read 1785 times)

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
Fallout 3 being weird.
« on: April 04, 2013, 04:48:50 pm »

Fallout 3 keeps crashing randomly for me, does anyone know why and how I can fix this?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 3 being weird.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 04:54:50 pm »

I had it crash on load for me; I'm using windows 7 and running the game in compatibility for Windows XP fixed it. If you're using steam, you'll have to find the EXE in program files\steam\steamapps\common\Fallout: New Vegas and set the compatibility settings there.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 04:59:58 pm »

Fallout 3, not New Vegas. Don't have that, sadly.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 05:14:01 pm »

A) Probably doesn't make a difference, you might try setting the compatibility anyway, and
B) You're playing the wrong one :V
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 05:16:33 pm »

I had some strange bugs in Fallout 3. The view was all distorted and click to move wouldn't work. Made me think I wasn't playing Fallout at all!

ZING!

On a more serious note, this is not the best place to ask that sort of question. Unless someone has had the exact same issue, it is better to just google it and jump on a Fallout forum.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 05:22:05 pm »

Fallout forums not really helping. Thanks for the idea Sensei, and I cant afford New Vegas, spent too much on Skyrim and expansions.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 05:29:52 pm »

There's a metric ton of things in either game that can cause random crashes. I managed to get 3 and NV stable most of the time, but I could never get 3 to consistently work as well as NV.

Try using Fallout Mod Manager and loading the community bugfix patch, Fallout Script Extender and the replacement quicksave mod (I forget the name), and the hack to make the game large address aware.

Related: The company's forums are crap. I've caught Bethesda removing posts about issues that didn't have common solutions to hide that the game was made on the same half-finished engine they keep re-using to save money.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 05:52:25 pm »

Could you find the names for the quicksave mod and the large address mod? Got the manager, and script extender.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 05:55:02 pm »

How long have you been playing the game (e.g. how old is your character, several days, weeks, a couple hours)? Has the crashing gotten worse over time?

Are you using quicksaves, and/or do you still have autosaves enabled?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 06:00:20 pm »

Autosave is enabled, and my character is pretty old, been playing for a while now. Few real time months at least.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 06:08:20 pm »

And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 07:13:01 pm »

A general rule with Bethesda games:
Never, ever use the built in auto-saving. Never, ever use quick-saves.
Make fresh manual saves as often as you feel the need (I usually do just prior to fast-travel, just after "clearing" an interior zone, before and after a boss-fight, or after any major plot point with a horde of dialogue I don't want to sit through again) but never, ever overwrite older manual saves with new ones.
All Bethesda's games have save corruption issues. Keeping a backlog of manual saves so you can go back to before the issue starts and try again is really the only sure way to avoid it.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 12:00:46 pm »

Really? Because I played skyrim, oblivion, morrowind, daggerfall, and arena, and fallout 3 is the only game that I have had this problem with.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 01:04:39 pm »

Do you have mods installed? Some of them can cause crashes. If all else fail, back up your save and reinstall.

Also, I actually liked fallout 3 better than NV, the setting in the latter didn't feel as immersive to me.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 01:14:57 pm »

Yes, mods...  having a certain cocktails of mods = crash.  You'll have to take the time time find out which ones are screwing with which... then decide what you would let go.
And... community patches/fix-it mods are a boon.

Also, I never really had problems with auto and quicksave....
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: [1] 2