Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need help  (Read 1432 times)

I K4 I

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
I need help
« on: April 04, 2013, 04:44:04 pm »

I've been trying to give my embark dwarfs adequate level in each of the skills by pasting the Below into the Embark Profiles .txt file. The problem I had was when I went to select it I only had adequate level in the first 3 skills on each dwarf. Can someone help me?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: I need help
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 04:49:45 pm »

Each Dwarf is only allowed a certain number of points to be spent on skills starts, regardless of embark point costs.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 04:50:08 pm »

The problem you are having is that you are running out of embark points to spend on the skills, so they are not added.  You can add [NATURAL_SKILL:] to the dwarf raws in creature_standard.txt in the raws in order to have them have adequate in all skills.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

I K4 I

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 04:57:51 pm »

The problem you are having is that you are running out of embark points to spend on the skills, so they are not added.  You can add [NATURAL_SKILL:] to the dwarf raws in creature_standard.txt in the raws in order to have them have adequate in all skills.
Where do I put it in? I found the file

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 05:14:52 pm »

You could also just use advanced world generation and set the embark points limit higher. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

I K4 I

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 05:16:46 pm »

You could also just use advanced world generation and set the embark points limit higher. :P
I already tried that, same result :(

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 05:50:18 pm »

Wait, you're trying to add more then 10 skill levels to each dwarf? Then you will need to use natural skills, yeah. By default the game won't let you put more then 10 skill points into any dwarf upon embarking.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 05:51:25 pm »

I already tried that, same result :(
Like I said, I'm fairly sure it's the skill limit set on the dwarves, you can only assign 10 levels of skills, regardless of how many embark points you have, and that can't be modified.

Ninja'd by i2amroy
The Derail Thread

I K4 I

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 05:59:11 pm »

Will doing this in the raw file like zanzetkuken suggested work? (Only posted part of the dwarf profile)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 06:14:35 pm »

Will doing this in the raw file like zanzetkuken suggested work? (Only posted part of the dwarf profile)

Try it and see if anything goes wrong in the error log.
The Derail Thread

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 07:43:09 am »

?
Maybe it's your thing (which if it is, hey), but -- didn't it take more time to write that script than it would take to sell of the wheelbarrow, etc. and just manually add the skills?  We're only talking 10x7 sets of key strokes.  I've always found that setting up the skill set took much less time than deciding where to embark, and THAT took much less time than deciding where to actually strike the earth after looking around ...

Um... as I think about it, maybe I'M the one who needs help ...
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 08:08:12 am »

That will work, but all the dwarves in the newly-generated world will be curbstomping humans and such. Note that you can improve those skills further in the sense that when you embark, you can put points in any of the skills and the natural skill will stack with the embark skills.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 11:18:58 am »

?
Maybe it's your thing (which if it is, hey), but -- didn't it take more time to write that script than it would take to sell of the wheelbarrow, etc. and just manually add the skills?  We're only talking 10x7 sets of key strokes.  I've always found that setting up the skill set took much less time than deciding where to embark, and THAT took much less time than deciding where to actually strike the earth after looking around ...

Um... as I think about it, maybe I'M the one who needs help ...
As we pointed out earlier the problem he is running into is the fact that each dwarf will only take a maximum of 10 skill points before the game caps it. Thus he can't add them manually, and the only method is the natural skills one.

I K4 I

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 05:05:22 pm »

I've finally done it, can't remember how though all I remember is putting the natural skill in each of the embark profile files, (There's a second raw file somewhere in the data file among the region saves I think) I re-embarked and my dwarves now have legendary in near enough every skill. (It might have something to do with the fact that I typed in skills for embark dwarves 8-12, but you don't actually get the extra dwarves)