Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crises/Historical moments  (Read 1996 times)

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crises/Historical moments
« on: April 04, 2013, 02:02:47 am »

I got distracted in the first year of my new fortress and they ran out of food with no farms or animals or anything. I traded with the elves but tagged something made of wood by mistake so they left.

My brave dwarves endured famine and worked until finally humans came and I bought several meals and animals and lots and lots of cheeses and everyone was rescued. Now every year I give the humans a gift of something worth about 1000* as thank you

I know that the human rescue was a great historical moment but the dwarves don't seem to. At least I haven't seen it engraved in any artifacts, floors or walls a caravan of humans bringing food or a big dwarven cheese party. I'd like it if they could figure out when a crisis happens and how it was averted.

And why not have other historical moments like finishing a great wall after many dwarves fell to constant ambushes and sieges, a damming of a river or something else entirelly?

It might be impossible to do and end up with dwarves celebrating Getrobokon the heroic door that averted the Great Floods of 342 when it was just a water channel but I think there must be a way

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Re: Crises/Historical moments
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 08:02:13 am »

Your idea is very good, but you also pointed the worst flaw in it. It's really hard for AI to decide what is "important" event and what is not. Maybe the player could himself "declare" something to "important event/item", in, like, bookkeeper menu.

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 04:27:57 pm »

More events to put in legends would be really nice. Marking something as an important like Matoro said sounds pretty good, but it kinda feels like the player would be just making up a story(which isn't necessarily bad) and the AI wouldn't really recognize it's significence aside from engravings.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:15:28 pm »

I can't program at all so I don't know what's possible but some of this definitely is

a crisis would be triggered by the death of 3 or more dwarves, 33% or more of the population going hungry or thirsty or a certain percentage becoming miserable or whatever. (maybe smaller numbers and percentages if the dwarves are children)

In the case of death, it would have to be by the same cause, say a flood, a siege, a single creature, a cave-in or something and the code would try to define the entity that killed the dwarves.

In the case of siege, creature or cave-in it's easy to define the entity but if it's a flood it would have to be something like:

- must not be a pre-existing body of water(so 3+ dwarves drowning in a river would count as something other than a flood)
- must happen in a dug-out or built area
- must kill 3 dwarves or more
- all deaths must occur in water tiles connected to each other by water

and it would become a tragedy in the history of that fort. The entity would then be dealt with somehow by killing the invaders, draining the water away(maybe it could check for the floor where the dwarves drowned being dry) or whatever measure was applied and that would enter the history as well even if it was years afterwards

of course, not all historic events must be tragedies. It depends on how economy works in the future but right now you usually end up with thousands of food and drink so maybe if food and drink units were 10x the number of dwarves they'd throw a feast or banquet(and maybe you could tell your noble whether feasts are allowed) and that would be an event

maybe parties and feasts could be linked to nobles getting married, having children and so on

other historical moments could be the construction of something particularly elaborate such as a sublime well, artificial waterfall(if there's a way to check that one exists), the manufacture of some elaborate product("it refers to the establishment of a cheese industry in the bla bla bla") or the discovery of a cave

I think it'd be really cool if you looked at engravings, artifacts and so on and found things that had actually happened in your fortress

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 11:53:45 pm »

This is an /extremely/ good idea. I think that when dwarves endure famine, or any kind of thing, murder, sieges, murder of a noble, etc should result in *No Madness or Insanity moods* a stone mason or engraver should make a small, almost tombstone-like engraving that depicts what happened.

No Pictures tho.

Just a story on what happened, and how it ended.
¤MASTERWORK¤ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 11:35:23 pm »

no, the whole point is that they engrave the historic occurences as pictures

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 12:59:17 pm »

What might be another interesting addition would be to have them hold annual commemorative feasts for particularly special events. Or maybe days of morning, taking a page from the Roman dies atri. If made to be a week (more would probably be horrible) then it would actually be pretty awesome to see your dwarves remembering the Great Victory at Bronzefurnace in 259.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 07:50:19 am »

You should also have the ability to do this. If a tomb is for your dwarf Azuz McBaron, then the negraving should be about him.

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 12:08:18 pm »

I think the best way to implement this would be being able to link some events (like, "Sarvesh McBrewer was struck down by Hyena in 142", "Minkot McNoble died of thirst in 143") together into one big, significant period or event, that can be viewed in Legends mode. That'd be a great way to preserve historical information, as I often forget what was happening in my fort 10 years ago.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 12:24:58 pm »

What would be better would be able to make your engravers engrave certain things, like tell them to engrave this room with things relating to a certain dwarf, or fill this hall with engravings of the important events of the fortresses history.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 10:20:25 am »

What would be better would be able to make your engravers engrave certain things, like tell them to engrave this room with things relating to a certain dwarf, or fill this hall with engravings of the important events of the fortresses history.
That would be nice. I'd like to engrave my nobles' rooms with pictures of death and destruction. Just to fuck with them. It's also annoying when a wall has an engraving of cheese then the next section has an engraving of a goblin shitting on a dwarf. Walls/rooms should stick to one theme.

I think there should be more parameters so the AI can discern what constitutes an important event. Stocks can be considered. If the fort is low on food for say, at least three then everybody knows that there's famine happening. Likewise, a lack of alcohol would necessitate a drought. Should be easy enough to implement. Syndromes would be harder to discern, I think, but Tehsapper's idea might be useful there. If a lot of people are seen to have died because of a syndrome, and this goes on for quite some time, then we can consider this as a plague of sorts.

Note the key phrase here being, "after some time". Food can't just suddenly disappear and suddenly there's engravings of the "Great Famine of 264" all over the place. Nor can a forgotten beast spray 10 schmucks with an explosive fart syndrome and then suddenly everybody calls it the "Exploding Fart Plague of 199". It has to have been around for a long time.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 08:53:36 pm »

it shouldn't be related to stocks or at least not just the stocks but rather dwarves' hunger and thirst. For a crisis to be a crisis, it should have a few deaths

choosing the theme of the engravings(and statues and artifacts, don't forget) is a great idea. Maybe you could designate themed engravings so that if they were in a dining hall they'd be cheese, pigs, legendary meals and so on, in a tomb they'd be dwarf deaths if it was collective or engravings about that particular dwarf if it's a single tomb and so on

Of course, there'd have to be the option to do generic engravings/statues/etc. It wouldn't make much sense to engrave the walls of a bedroom according to a single dwarf's tastes since he or she won't be around forever to enjoy them

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 10:30:42 am »

Yes, but if there has been 0 food for six months, deaths would inevitably follow. Another thing to consider: Say you burrow half your population such that they don't have access to food or alcohol, but the rest of the fort is okay. Obviously half of the population will die, most from hunger/thirst, some from tantrums. If we go by your method of checking, the game will consider this to be a crisis, when in fact, it's just a case of dwarves (or actually the player, since why would you do that) being criminally stupid. See what I'm getting at? It's not enough that we just look at the percentage of dwarves who died due to hunger. We have to ensure that those dwarves did indeed die because there is a lack of food, and not just because they can't access the food.

As for engravings, I really just want the dwarves to stick to one topic per wall/room. The ability to choose would be nice as well (so dining rooms wouldn't have unsavory images of elves), but I'd be fine without it. Engravers could also eventually tell a story spanning an entire wall, which would be Nito.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 03:11:02 pm »

I would consider the loss of half the population to be a crisis. It might have been caused by stupidity/cruelity from above, but still.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 07:03:23 pm »

I would consider the loss of half the population to be a crisis. It might have been caused by stupidity/cruelity from above, but still.
Crisis, but not a famine. There's a difference.
Pages: [1] 2