Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: *beta* Lazy Newb Pack Launcher - Cross Platform [0.34.11] v0.5.2  (Read 70322 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

@Dricus - take however long it takes, this has been great so far. 

@fricy - Looks good.  My general rule of thumb is to include stuff with unique graphics, but not tilesets - to keep it manageable - unless I feel like doing something else.  Do you have source links?  I tend to use them as a general thing instead of being too concerned about licenses.  Also - how 'official' is Ironhand 0.73.4? 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Dricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, in the latest snapshot build I've reworked the configuration part. The settings file is no longer a properties file, but is now a YAML file. This is still is a relatively simple file format, but compared to properties or INI files much better suited for storing lists of things (like utilities, graphics packs, etc).

With the addition of the ability to autostart utilities with DF comes the need to not only read the launcher's configuration, but also to save it. That's where the other change emerges. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to create a configuration file and let the launcher modify it in place preserving formatting and comments. I've done some research on Java frameworks that can do this in an easy and elegant way for properties files or INI files, but didn't find one. However, I think that the benefits of using this new file format outweigh this inconvenience, because adding more configuration to the launcher is now a lot less work than it was before.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile

@Dricus: I couldn't get autostart to work, and it only saves the state of the checkbox if I launch the game, or save the config explicitly. Quitting the GUI without doing either will not preserve the setting. I don't know if it's a problem at all though. :)

@PeridexisErrant: DO you mind if i call you PerX from now on, sorry, your name is too long for me to learn how to write it properly. :P
Here's my config with the new markup. http://pastebin.com/NAwa9P86
It looks like no more square brackets from now on, it's a syntax in YAML, so we will have to come up with something instead. Parenthesis works, I'm using it for now.

Dricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@fricy:
  • Thanks for pointing that out. Turns out that I needed to add some MacOS-specific code to handle Cmd-Q properly. It should be working now.
  • Autostarting wasn't implemented yet in the snapshot you tried. It should be working in the latest snapshot.
  • Square brackets work if you put the name between single quotes like this:
Code: [Select]
-  name: '[stuff] A clever name'

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
    • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
      • View Profile

@fricy - yeah, no issues with that.  I've only got such a long handle to ensure it's unique...

Woohoo autostart!  I'm testing my idea to just include both this and the windows-only version in my pack now, which would give a somewhat smoother transition since people can use whichever they prefer. 

On the current snapshot I just get
    Spoiler: this error (click to show/hide)
    - related to that mac code? 

I can at least get the new config done though, that'll help a lot. 

Two feature requests:  a version number in the snapshots (eg 0.5.3.04), and a non-coffeecup icon for the launcher. 
     Donations here.

Dricus

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile

Damn, even with Java developing cross platform applications isn't easy ;-). I'll have to load the MacOS code dynamically to resolve this. Will do so somewhere this evening.

Also, I'd like to make the application look a bit more like a "real" MacOS program on MacOS. I think I'll work on that for a bit as well.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
    • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
      • View Profile

Cool.  Once I get a working version with auto-launch, r32 of my LNP will be released with a choice of two GUIs. 

Also:  my config for this version, with single-quoted square brackets:
    Spoiler (click to show/hide)
     Donations here.

Dricus

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile

@PeridexisErrant:
    Yes! I've done some quick testing with the snapshot I just released and the slightly "macified" launcher now seems to work correctly with your pack. I've tested it with your config file and r31 of your pack.

@fricy:
    Saving the config file seems to be working correctly now. I've tried exiting with File - Exit, just closing the window and by pressing Cmd-Q and all variants work.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile

Thx Dricus!

I'll test it tomorrow and if I don't find any problems it's time for a new release of Macnewbie.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
    • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
      • View Profile

Good news!  The GUI now opens fine, still looks better than the old one, and even autostarts utilities just fine. 

However.  There seems to be a problem with starting DF itself - I just get the utilities and I can see a cmd window flicker in and out. 

lnp.YAML has also gone weird, stripping the formatting out.  Starting from the config above, ... huh.  copy-pasting here at least put it back on separate lines, with the comments stripped out and re-ordered. 
    Spoiler (click to show/hide)
    I tried setting the cmd path for terminalpath but no change. 

Back to good news though: 

- besides the obvious bug, the ONLY[/i] notable feature this is missing compared to the windows LNP is a links menu (for the sake of completeness, no init text editor is included and setup is more manual but also flexible). 
     - [hint] maybe implement the links menu next?  Also:  the help menu is pretty unhelpful, "how to use" just pops up "Press button. Obtain Lazy", so no need to worry about that for some time.

Soon.....  mwa ha ha Ha HA HA HA HA !!!!!!
    « Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:26:42 pm by PeridexisErrant »
     Donations here.

Dricus

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile

The problem with starting DF is solved in the latest snapshot. Turned out to be a small derpage while adding support for starting .jar files directly on Windows.

The "lnp.yaml gone weird" thing is a known issue. It's not a bug. See this post where I mention this downside of the new configuration implementation.

Also, as you can read above, I've reworked the way DF and utilities get started on Windows a bit. First of all, if you configure a .jar file as the executable of a utility it will now work correctly on Windows. On Linux it still doesn't work, so I'll need to look into that as well. Secondly, setting showTerminal to true should behave much more consistently now.

As a consequence of this, starting soundSense.exe doesn't need showTerminal to be set to true. I'll update the configuration in the example config file to make clear how starting DF and utilities work.
    « Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:32:15 am by Dricus »

fricy

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile

@Dricus: Yesterday's snapshot is out in the wild, I tested it and found it stable enough to release a new mac.pack with it.
    Thx again, I'll keep on testing!

@PerX: If your lines are not separate I suppose your text editor can't handle the linebreaks correctly. Try notepad++ if you haven't tried it yet, it's the best free text editor I found on windows. Also get the compare plugin, it let's you spot the difference in two versions of the same file.

Dricus

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile

@fricy: Awesome :D! I'll keep an eye on your thread to see if some useful feedback gets posted.

In other news: In the latest snapshot configurable folders and links are added. The finishing touch for version 1.0 will be adding more user friendly error messages and implementing the defaults button.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
    • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
      • View Profile

I'm about to publish r33 have published r33, with this as the recommended GUI.  It's beautiful, now beating the old version on features, even on windows. 

I've also sent out a call for a Linux volunteer here and on Reddit

This is the dawn of a glorious new era. 
    « Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:43:36 pm by PeridexisErrant »
     Donations here.

Dricus

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile

@PeridexisErrant: Awesome :D! I should also keep an eye on your thread ;).

Speaking of threads: I'm thinking about moving this thread to the Utilities and 3rd Party Applications forum. Good idea?
    Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9