Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Illustrating Dwarf Fortress- Now Complete! (sort of)  (Read 7930 times)

The Hadad

• Bay Watcher
  • Lighten up, it was funny!
    • View Profile
Illustrating Dwarf Fortress- Now Complete! (sort of)
« on: April 03, 2013, 02:10:39 pm »

Spoiler: And here it is (click to show/hide)

This version is shrunk down for the original, since it's almost 6 MB and 9600 pixels tall. Still, I intend to post detail shots of the scenes... but not tonight. I'm taking a break.

--Original Post--

Bear with me for a sec here, guys. I'm taking an Illustration class at art school. Our current assignment is to create an "editorial" illustration: we pick a topic, write up an editorial on it, and create a full-page illustration to go along with it. The topic I picked was Dwarf Fortress' inclusion in MoMA, with the editorial on how awesome DF is, emphasizing its status as a feat of programming, its depth in gameplay, how it merits as a work of art, etc. etc. (the instructor suggested we pick smething we can get passionate about, see).

Here's where you guys come in: I want the illustration to depict a scene that encapsulates what DF is, but what kind of scene would do that in the most effective manner possible?

At the time of writing, I have two possible ideas--one, a scene from a community game (probably Boatmurdered); two, a scene depicting a Forgotten Beast attack, with the FB facing down the military in a cavern, with a clear view of a magma pumpstack in the background. I feel that either one would be "good," but I'd like to have a "great" concept for the illustration. What do you, the madmen of Bay 12, have to suggest?

EDIT: I've now got the project figured out

Had the class again today. Of the concept sketches shown, Halceon's idea was what got the most positive feedback, so that's what I'll be going with. What I've done is a rough sketch of a cross-section of a fortress and the caverns it's a part of; once I've cleaned that up and made it more professional-looking, then I'll do the same with various scenes (many of which inspired by others' suggestions here) of dwarves doing dwarf-ish things and shrink them down to fit the cross-section panorama.

Here's what I've got so far--though bear in mind these are very rough (most of my sketches tend to be):
Spoiler: The Fortress (click to show/hide)
As you can see (or maybe you can't. I dunno how clear this is), "Museum of Modern Art" is carved out between cavern layers. It was suggested that the image be tied back into the article a bit more (i.e., DF being displayed at MOMA), and that struck me as acceptable, since it seemed like it could be construed as a megaproject.

Here we see a tantruming dwarf chasing another dwarf around with a throne to beat him with (though can you blame him? That hair is awfully elven-looking), while a third dwarf and his cat friend (each scene will have at least one cat, dead or alive) watch the show.

As for what else will be in the illustration,
  • The area marked 1 is the outside of the fort, so naturally there will be a beseiging goblin army and a merchant caravan struggling to get inside.
  • Area 2 is where there will be some workshops, including an artifact-producing dwarf.
  • Area 3 is the hospital/cemetery (for whatever reason, I always have the two right next to each other), where one or more bedridden dwarves watch haulers carry the dead to their final resting places.
  • Area 4 is the dining hall and kitchen, where the above scene will be located (among others, possibly).
  • The bottom-left part of the first M in "Museum" (indicated by the 5) is a breached aquifer which resulted in the entire word getting filled up with water. Naturally, at some points along the word are dwarf and cat skeletons of those unfortunate to not escape the flood.
  • Area 6 marks where there will be several waterwheels hooked up to a pump that's pumping water from the word "Museum," as it wouldn't be Dwarf Fortress without some demonstration of dwarven physics, so a perpetual motion device is practically a must.
  • Area 7 is the prison, where some ne'er-do-well is about to receive justice from the hammerer.
  • Area 8 marks the first cavern layer and the word "of," which the eagle-eyed will note connects the first cavern and the second cavern together--something which a winged Uninvited Guest to the dwarves takes full advantage of.
  • Areas 9 and 10 are the second and third cavern layers, respectively (and obviously). Haven't got much planned for them yet, aside from the obligatory GCS feasting upon the body of its latest victim.
  • Area 11 is the Magma Sea (which unfortunately got cut off by the scanner, but there wasn't much to see, anyway). As any good dwarf knows, with magma comes fun, and is best transported with a pumpstack, indicated by the long, vertical shaft by the 12 (and powered by the aforementioned perpetual motion device). The magma is carried up to area 13, above which is a bridge (not shown) that will retract and send the invading force to a fiery death. :D
  • The magma also fills up the word "Modern" and provides power to the magma forges marked at area 14. The magma is cut off by a contstructed wall in the hall next to the bottom of the N. A wall being built by a mason standing on the wrong side.
  • And finally, the lower-right portion of the A in "Art," marked by area 15, pokes a hole in one of the cotton candy tubes, heralding the circus' arrival.

EDITEDIT: And now those scenes and others sketched up!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:09:46 pm by The Hadad »
>Unnecessary detail
>Dwarf Fortress.

Excuse me?

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Illustrating Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 03:05:36 pm »

Hrmm... I suggest a high quality engraving of Urist McCatlover fleeing a dragon with his many kittens stuffed in his beard for safe keeping.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 03:16:46 pm »

You reminded me of an older thread with a similar goal. A while ago, TinyPirate asked for DF anecdotes to turn them into illustrations for his book. That thread hat tons of awesome stories, maybe I can find it...

Yes, here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101071.msg2994410
Maybe you'll be inspired!
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 03:36:55 pm »

Boatmurdered. Need I say more?

The Hadad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 03:50:38 pm »

You reminded me of an older thread with a similar goal. A while ago, TinyPirate asked for DF anecdotes to turn them into illustrations for his book. That thread hat tons of awesome stories, maybe I can find it...

Yes, here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101071.msg2994410
Maybe you'll be inspired!
That thread should indeed be useful for ideas, and I'll certainly give it a read-through in case I do find inspiration, but my main concern is that TinyPirate collected several stories for multiple illustrations; I can only have one illustration for my assignment, so I need more than just an amusing or awesome story, I need something that decisively says, "this is Dwarf Fortress."
>Unnecessary detail
>Dwarf Fortress.

Excuse me?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 05:26:07 pm »

I need something that decisively says, "this is Dwarf Fortress."
An interesting idea would be to draw an entire DF world. A goblin daycare center, a Dwarven cat herd on the move, a Kobold cautiously trying to steal a tooth from a clear crystal plains Titan as it approaches a Dwarf Fortress, carved into a mountain...

The Hadad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 12:10:11 pm »

Aye, I thought of something like that, too. Problem is, I got until next Wednesday to finish the sketch, so while that might be a project to tackle on my own time, for this one it might be a bit too much. Plus, I think the image will ultimately get shrunk down to 9"x12".
>Unnecessary detail
>Dwarf Fortress.

Excuse me?

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 01:51:12 pm »

Make it ASCII

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 02:08:48 pm »

Make it ASCII
Nothing like a whole bunch of ASCII. Tell stories within ASCII within pictures.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 09:23:12 pm »

Check out the DF art thread. There's a LOT of material there. You can't really make a piece of art that encapsulates DF, though, because it IS a work of art. It's like trying to make a painting of the Mona Lisa that encapsulates the Mona Lisa; it doesn't really make any sense.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 03:40:50 am »

Hm?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There are tons of fan stories too which can give you great ideas - and often times they're true (as in true ingame).

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 09:22:40 am »

Might be able to find some good stuff on the bravemule site.  http://www.bravemule.com/

Because you know, It's awesome.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 09:37:04 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 07:59:39 am »

I think adventure mode has the best inspiration for DF art.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 08:51:31 am »

Pretty much the only way you can encapsulate DF in a single picture is with something like something out of a Where's Waldo book.  Hundreds of simple little cartoon characters engaged in various actions in a single scene in a visually confusing way. 

It could be called "Where's Socko?", and you have to find the one sock hidden somewhere in the scene.

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 03:29:07 pm »

If you're able to, I'd suggest doing a scene of a full-on siege, forgotten beast, caravan, clowncar, tantrum, vampire, mandate, zombie, adamantium artifact, werehamster pileup on a single fort. Do it in a sideview cross-section style, including as many industries + a half finished megaproject.
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul
Pages: [1] 2 3 4