Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: On the new multi-tile trees (Discussion heading towards weaponization)  (Read 4884 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As you may know, in the coming version the trees will be completely overhauled. Fortresses will benefit both from the increased amount of wood and the new fruits they will bring. The question is, what are this community's plans to use them?

I, in particular, am thinking in building my main stairwell rounding a giant spore tree (why? because I imagine them as the dwarven equivalent of christmas trees, so I wold use them as the place where Goblin Claus leaves the goblinite).
Also, tree farms will need to occupy multiple z levels now, wich translates in more digging, and less flooding.

What are you planning to do with these trees? Plant one at the creation of your fortress so that it grows with it? Using it as an sniper hideout for your marksdwarves? Creating elegant gardens? Fruit frams? Feel free to put here your ideas.

Centigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On the new multi-tile trees
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 09:21:14 am »

Burn them all. Suffer not an elf-thing.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 09:27:38 am »

It depends on exactly what sorts of things end up being possible with them.  I'll probably just make it a point to cut down the trees closest to my fort's walls, both because this is most efficient and because goblins can probably climb them to get on the walls now.

Fruit and leaves have a lot of modding possibilities.  This will significantly simplify the hacky tree creatures used by some mods, although they won't be as flexible since we won't be able to directly cultivate orchards in this release, so far as I know.

Having said that, if possible I'll probably try to keep a fruit tree or three inside my walls for a supply of free food.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 09:30:28 am »

It depends on exactly what sorts of things end up being possible with them.  I'll probably just make it a point to cut down the trees closest to my fort's walls, both because this is most efficient and because goblins can probably climb them to get on the walls now.

Fruit and leaves have a lot of modding possibilities.  This will significantly simplify the hacky tree creatures used by some mods, although they won't be as flexible since we won't be able to directly cultivate orchards in this release, so far as I know.

Having said that, if possible I'll probably try to keep a fruit tree or three inside my walls for a supply of free food.
The free fruit stuff will probably be very worthwhile in the long term. Imagine the selective trampling of unwanted saplings so that you only have mango trees? No need for fertilizer, just free fruit.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 09:51:04 am »

Burn them all. Suffer not an elf-thing.

woah, let's not be hasty there.

if you burn all the trees, you won't have any left for wooden bins (decorated with wood) to store your crystal glass items in to show off to the elves before you drop them in magma.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 09:55:01 am »

In a terrifying biome;-

"It's Raining!"

Badgers and the like huskify into monsters capable of nothing but destruction, the evil rains cause nothing but peril, except...

..the trees, are they.. 'tap, tap, tap', as the dwarf touches the tree with his battle-axe. The trees seem to be as hard as steel!.

The wood in the trees huskify into a material unlike any natural substance, the hardness could be anywhere from copper to steel depending on the type of tree, (oak = copper, maple = steel etc).

This would allow elves to be a race that could end up being an unstoppable force, their wooden armors and weapons being stronger than perhaps the dwarves themselves.

Or... perhaps in an update that is much farther away.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 10:01:03 am »

We will need to do much !!SCIENCE!! about managed tree growth and propogation.  Dwarven Forestry!?  Who knew?

One question that will need to be answered is what will the optimal tree size for fruit growing be?  Also, how will we manage tree sizes to maintain this?  Annual pruning like fruit orchards IRL?  Or growing them in 2x2x2 walled areas?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 10:15:33 am »

I'm going to gen a world with wide caverns and build a city into the mushrooms below. Going to go for a telvanni meets dwemer vibe.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 10:47:35 am »

Yeah, I cannot wait for the dwarven Forestry. Also, I think that walling the tree in a 2x2 space in the first (and porbably second) level will allow us to control the growth of the tree. Maybe even using ladders can prevent them from growing?
On the other hand, we can make bonsai trees!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 11:03:23 am »

Studying tree growth is a must, but I sure as hell will have my own little orchards inside my fortress perimeter. Gotta have them apples! Mainly, I intend to embark on elf sites, kill the population and use their orchards and stuff :P

In this release at least we'll be lucky in that NPC AI can't climb yet, so trees won't necessarily compromise your security in fortress mode. Whenever Toady does do proper climbing/flying pathfinding though, we'll be screwed like nothing else.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 11:24:53 am »

In a terrifying biome;-

"It's Raining!"

Badgers and the like huskify into monsters capable of nothing but destruction, the evil rains cause nothing but peril, except...

..the trees, are they.. 'tap, tap, tap', as the dwarf touches the tree with his battle-axe. The trees seem to be as hard as steel!.

The wood in the trees huskify into a material unlike any natural substance, the hardness could be anywhere from copper to steel depending on the type of tree, (oak = copper, maple = steel etc).

This would allow elves to be a race that could end up being an unstoppable force, their wooden armors and weapons being stronger than perhaps the dwarves themselves.

Or... perhaps in an update that is much farther away.
Special trees with metal-like wood should be on good sites, I think

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 12:15:53 pm »

I wonder if we'll get a 'climb tree' command in Adventurer...and if that could somehow extend to Fortress mode entities.

Those walls you're relying on to keep gobbos out? Yeah, you'd better make sure that no trees grow adjacent to them...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 12:21:31 pm »

In this release at least we'll be lucky in that NPC AI can't climb yet, so trees won't necessarily compromise your security in fortress mode. Whenever Toady does do proper climbing/flying pathfinding though, we'll be screwed like nothing else.

Has Toady stated that?  I thought he already had NPC climbing working?

Although now that you mention it, getting jumping to work would probably require fixing some issues related to path finding that Toady apparently doesn't want to tackle any time soon.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 12:38:25 pm »

The walls I mentioned were to control the growth of the tree (basically, encasing the trunk), and allow dwarves to get to the braches and their fruit without climbing

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 12:57:07 pm »

If you bury an elf in the ground in a terrifying biome, will it grow into an elf-bone tree?

Killing them first is optional.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6