Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pitting Megabeasts  (Read 773 times)

Zardus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pitting Megabeasts
« on: April 21, 2008, 02:07:00 am »

In an unfortunate pit fight mishap, I had one of these guys rampage through my base. My quite impressive army of champions put an end to it with not a single scratch on them. The only casualty other than the BC was a war dog who gave his life to save the poor Siege Engineer who was transporting the colossus to the pit. The SE went berserk later due to his injuries though :-(. Watching the whole thing with combat messages on was quite fun!

Anyways, my point is: is it possible to pit megabeasts? I've pitted lots of goblins without any problems, so it doesn't seem like a random chance that it was the megabeast that caused trouble. Which creatures escape when you try to pit them?

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pitting Megabeasts
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 05:39:00 am »

The ones that fly, possibly. You never told us what species your megabeast was. Dragons fly.

Also, keep size in mind. It might be that since the enormous creatures take up so much space, they might just be able climb out of shallow pits.

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 06:59:00 am »

Actually, in native DF, dragons don't fly.  And no, creatures can't climb durrently, although that may be changing soon.  They can attack sreatures that are one level up from them though.

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 11:37:00 am »

Goblins can escape when being pitted as well, you've just been lucky in that regard. How far was the cage the megabeast was in from the pit? It's best to put the cage right next to the pit, so the dwarf doesn't have to move in order to pit the beast, meaning that the dwarf isn't spending very much time with the beast at all.

Zardus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »

Sorry, forgot to mention! It was a Bronze Colossus.

I just had a goblin thief try to escape as well...

Also, it got away almost immediately. Didn't get it anywhere close to the pit. The pit is quite far away from the prisoner stockpile. I should change that...

[ April 21, 2008: Message edited by: Zardus ]

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »

Aye, after hauling a hostile creature for more than about five seconds your dwarf panics and runs for it, leaving the Megabeast to rampage through your fortress.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 09:11:00 pm »

This is why they should haul the cage and then just throw it in there and have it shatter when it hits the bottom.
Sure, you lose a cage, but isn't that so much better then losing a dwarf or fifty?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

hamsterfury

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 01:41:00 am »

I had the big guy show up with a fortress on untamed wilds and he completely slaughtered my town too. Master (insert weapon)dwarves were being tossed like bougars into walls and/or struck down. Reloaded   ;) and built an empty shaft in the main walkway about oh..... 8 stories down into wooden spikes. Made it two width just to get the hatches covered and levelered(not a word). Needless to say, had a sweet statue in the main walkway in the end.

Keldon

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood For The Blood God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 03:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zardus:
<STRONG>Watching the whole thing with combat messages on was quite fun!
</STRONG>

How did you get combat messages in Fort mode?  :)

Girls are always running through my mind, They dont dare walk

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 03:32:00 pm »

Dwarf Companion.
t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.