Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chargin' Chuck Armageddon  (Read 837 times)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Chargin' Chuck Armageddon
« on: April 02, 2013, 08:43:33 pm »

So you've played Super Mario World (SNES). I assume this to be true if you've ever played a video game. If not, go slap yourself with a wet fish and play this epic gem of 16-bit evolution.

Now that you've been educated as to the nature of Chargin' Chuck... I have decided to mod these suckers into DF, inspired by this video, which I can only describe as "Mario VS The Chuck Army"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM6F53YoTV8

Current version: 0.00 (Concept planning stage)

I already know I'm giving them PRONE_TO_RAGE, and their own entity, and intend on making them hulking, testosterone-fueled behemoths, who pillage and murder for the sake of FOOTBAAAAAAAAAAAALL!

but suggestions are much appreciated

edit: I plan on implementing each variation of Chuck in some way (Standard chucks, Clappin' Chucks, Leapin' Chucks, Splittin' Chucks, Baseball Chucks, Football Puntin' Chucks, Whistlin' Chucks, and Diggin' Chucks), and the Whistlin' and Splittin' Chucks make me nervous, as they're going to require some kind of shenanigan. Especially splittin' chucks, as I don't want them spamming the interaction and overflowing the world with duplicates. In the original game, they could only split once, reverting to standard Chucks as soon as they hit the ground.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:54:42 pm by laularukyrumo »
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Chargin' Chuck Armageddon
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 12:03:51 am »

If you can figure out how to make them duplicate, just make them emit a vapor at the same time that's a time delayed conversion syndrome, that turns splittin' chucks into normal chucks.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 01:21:30 am »

If you can figure out how to make them duplicate, just make them emit a vapor at the same time that's a time delayed conversion syndrome, that turns splittin' chucks into normal chucks.
Duplicating interactions exist, they are just a bunch of jumping through hoops and are only semi-reliable. For your splitting ones you would want to do these steps:
1)Make the Splittin' Chuck transform into a 3 part creature for an instant. Part 1 is the main body, part 3 is a grasping part, and part 2 connects the two and is made of a material that evaporates at room temperature. Part 2 should boil away, leaving you with a the Splittin' Chuck (having transformed back at this point) and a grasping corpse part that fell off.
2)Make the creature raise the corpse piece.
3)Make the corpse piece transform into a standard Chuck.
4)Make the creature transform into a standard Chuck.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 12:44:48 pm »

Excellent.

Now, I presume there's a way to give them the reraise interaction without turning them into omni-necromancers? Probably with interaction target unique creature class.

I also did a bit of wiki-fu and discovered that PRONE_TO_RAGE has odd effects. As far as I know, the only creatures with the tag by default are badger variations, and supposedly the BENIGN tag conflicts with PRONE_TO_RAGE, causing them to repeatedly flee, enrage, chase someone down, rage wears off, enrage, repeat. I'd rather the Chucks not be in an effectively permanent rage a la badger, but if it's the only option, I guess I can just stick the no-flee tag in to keep that from happening. Anybody done recent science on PRONE_TO_RAGE?
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 01:30:32 pm »

Now, I presume there's a way to give them the reraise interaction without turning them into omni-necromancers? Probably with interaction target unique creature class.
You only enable the raise dead interaction for a tiny amount of time with the original "split" interaction.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 01:36:13 pm »

I also did a bit of wiki-fu and discovered that PRONE_TO_RAGE has odd effects. As far as I know, the only creatures with the tag by default are badger variations, and supposedly the BENIGN tag conflicts with PRONE_TO_RAGE, causing them to repeatedly flee, enrage, chase someone down, rage wears off, enrage, repeat. I'd rather the Chucks not be in an effectively permanent rage a la badger, but if it's the only option, I guess I can just stick the no-flee tag in to keep that from happening. Anybody done recent science on PRONE_TO_RAGE?

You can give them an interaction that makes them CRAZED or simply give them OPPOSED_TO_LIFE and NOT_LIVING so they simply hate everything all the time. Basically kill anything living.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 01:55:13 pm »

I thought PRONE_TO_RAGE has a number modifier on it? You could drop that modifier number down and they should rage less shouldn't they?

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 02:31:37 pm »

No can do, Pufferfish. Badgers themselves have PRONE_TO_RAGE:1. No nonzero positive integer lower than 1 exists.

I like the idea of an interaction that makes them CRAZED instead, though. Can give it usage hint: attack so that it only works when they actually attack things. It works better than the OPPOSED_TO_LIFE route so that they aggro undeads too, and has the bonus of allowing rage at will in adventure mode. :D

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 03:50:47 pm »

any attack usage hint would never make it target itself. However if you make them pansies (only in context) you can make the useage hint as FLEEING thus when combat or someone startles it, it becomes crazed and attacks, no surrender, no retreat.

EDIT:
also the higher the value in PRONE_TO_RAGE means rages more often so 5000 would be near instant rage, just the sight of something that annoys it will set it off.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 11:27:47 pm »

argh. Fucking wiki holes. I would presume that the process to overwrite the predefined tissue structures entirely would look something like [SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ARM_LOWER] [SET_TISSUE_LAYER:DISINTEGRATION_TISSUE], but the wiki lists no arguments for the [SET_TISSUE_LAYER] token, leading me to believe that it does not accept arguments. Do I have the right process to make a Chuck's hands fall off, by transforming it into a creature with those tokens set up in its body definitions? Or am I completely insane?

EDIT: Never mind, I got that part down... Now to find a way to accelerate the process of de-limbing. The lower arms aren't melting fast enough for my personal taste.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 05:32:11 pm by laularukyrumo »

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread