Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need help finding low-spec games!!!  (Read 4341 times)

chafin96

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Need help finding low-spec games!!!
« on: April 02, 2013, 07:26:34 pm »

I need help finding games that can be played on my laptop. My laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN-CR220E. It has a 2.0Ghz core 2 duo processor and the laptop has 2gb DDR2 ram. I was wondering if there is any fun rpg's or fps games that anyone would reccomend. Cost is not an issue.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Need help finding low-spec games!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 07:31:43 pm »

Quake 3 is a fun FPS game.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 07:36:05 pm »

From what I understand, intense effort has been put into making sure Doom runs on practically anything with controls and a screen.

And it's still fun, to boot.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 07:37:53 pm »

On the RPG front:

Morrowind is fairly low-impact and contains a crapton of content before you even touch the massive modding community. Gameplay (combat especially) may not be to everyone's taste, however.

Roguelikes (Nethack, Cataclysm, Liberal Crime Squad, etc) tend to be pretty easy on the hardware as well.

Please note that all of these are installed on my laptop, which is about as good (ha!) as yours is.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 07:39:52 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 07:38:55 pm »

Can add Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup to the list of crappy computer-friendly roguelikes.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 07:45:44 pm »

Planescape Torment, King of Dragon Pass, Inquisitor, Geneforge.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 08:05:21 pm »

Tribes 2 or Legions Overdrive are good FPS if you like that kind of game (fast shooters), Red Eclipse is another,  but more like Unreal than the others.
Allegiance is very good if you are willing to learn it (it is pretty hard), and if it has no problems with your graphics chip.
Some less well-known roguelikes I would recommend would be DoomRL, XCOMRL, or Cogmind.

All of those are free, and I find that they are mostly better than any paid games I have played, but the older Quake games and the Impressions city builders are very nice also.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 08:19:11 pm »

Nearly any game from the DOS era should be playable via Dosbox.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 08:50:42 pm »

Just pulled up my Steam list to throw a few more games up for recommendation:

• Half-Life (and possibly Half-Life 2, depending on your graphics card). Good solid FPSs.
  • The original Deus Ex.
  • Dungeons of Dredmor. Another roguelike.
  • Serious Sam: The First Encounter. Maybe the second as well, but I haven't tried that yet.
  • For a more action-oriented RPG, you could try the Ys games. I've only personally tried Oath in Felghana, but it works pretty well and the other games look like they'd have similar requirements.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 12:58:24 am »

Might & Magic 6 and 7
Still awesome today

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 01:05:23 am »

The ORIGINAL Ace of Spades, available for free here
Hello Hunam

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 04:32:42 am »

Fallout 1 and 2 are low spec RPGs for your computer

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 04:36:41 am »

Remember to update your drivers to squeeze a few more precious frames per second out of your computer.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 04:38:12 am »

You think that's bad, I'd call that laptop an upgrade for what I have now. Anyways,

Some RPGs that I really like:
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Icewind Dale 1 & 2 (IWD2 definitely has the worst story) and Planescape: Torment. They all look and play fairly similarly since they were all made or published by Black Isle Studios. If you do end up going for the BG series, there is a mod that allows you to play 1 with 2's engine. Heck, there's a ton of mods for all those games with both bugfixes and additional content, but nothing that you would need to worry about on the first playthrough.
Some others include Fallout 1 & 2 and Knights of the Old Republic. Mind you, all but KOTOR are older, isometric stuff, if that's something you passionately love or hate.

When you say FPS, do you literally mean FIRST-PERSON shooters, or just shooters? Some 1st/3rd person actiony goodness I've had include:
Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Armed & Dangerous, No One Lives Forever 1 & 2, Half-Life and most definitely Deus Ex.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 04:49:20 am »

Quake, the original, is probably id's best single-player FPS (even better than Doom; oh yeah, I went there :P). I have never had a problem running it, be it on netbook, ancient laptop or cheap desktop. A mouse is an absolute must though, so grab a USB doohicky.

Fallout 1 and 2 are low spec RPGs for your computer
They're bloody amazing ones too, I second this with all my heart. If you have a chance to get Fallout 1 and 2, it's worth it just for the experience.

There's also the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series, which are some of the best Star Wars games I have ever played. There's Dark Forces (which ran on the Doom engine), DFII: Jedi Knight (Quake engine), DFII: Mysteries of the Sith (expansion pack), Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (both using Quake 3). Most, if not all of the series is available on Steam. Once again though, mouse required unless you're some sort of bizarre trackpad god.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: [1] 2