Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Zeno Clash 2!  (Read 3608 times)

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
Re: Zeno Clash 2!
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 06:47:54 pm »

I've played it today for a couple of hours and I had a blast. All of the areas from the first game are now connected to an open world. The story is less vague but the gameplay now has more depth. There are more moves and weapon types. I feel like the devs listened to the fans and decided to heavily nerf gunpowder weapons. Guns now only have one magazine so you can't just stick with the best weapon forever.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 08:03:56 pm »

Are the melee weapons now more complex then press button, swing stick? :P

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 02:48:13 am »

No but punching techniques are now a lot more complex.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 03:14:35 am »

Well that's nice! I liked the first game but it could get a little samey.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 03:58:00 am »

I'm a little let down by the direction they took with the cutscenes and dialogue in general, I feel like they lost a lot of the bizarre yet whimsical tone the original had. Aside from that the combat is really fun, and the world and it's inhabitants are kept well in line with the original's designs. They added in three static weapons that you keep with you regardless of what guns/sticks you find, and they did a pretty good job of giving them unique elements that really impact the way you can engage an enemy. My expectations for the story are kind of low but there's always that chance for a surprise. Overall, pretty happy with it so far.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 04:10:44 am »

I'm a little let down by the direction they took with the cutscenes and dialogue in general, I feel like they lost a lot of the bizarre yet whimsical tone the original had. improved the godawful yet entertaining voice acting.

FTFY
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 04:18:38 am »

Yeah the voice acting is pretty much the same and there is more of it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 04:19:40 am »

It's out?!  Ahhhhhh I'm going to need so much willpower.  I loved the first one.  Don't care if there were bad things about it.  It was memorable.  I even loved the personality of the voice acting and the incomprehensible story.

Preorder debate:  What if there are decent perks to go along with the pre-order?  I pre-ordered this game for the art book and so I could gift a friend my extra copy of the first game.  Seems worth some risk to me.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 12:08:20 pm »

I've finished it. The story was much better than in ZC1. It gives a sense of closure to both games and reveals a lot about the world of Zenozoik and the nature of the golem you found in the first game.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 12:09:30 pm »

One question about Zeno, is the art still good?

Cos that was the best part of the game. Not including the crazy kung fu.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 12:18:13 pm »

It's the same as in the first game. Meaning excellent. Only now the engine supports huge open spaces. There are some both gorgeous and surreal views. A zone called "Rathbird Plains" or somesuch is probably the area that has most freedom of movement and the most breathtaking artistic design in the game.

The visuals in this game made me reminiscent of when I played Morrowind for the first time.

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 04:09:12 pm »

What did you think of the voice acting for the priest character who wears the masks?

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 04:32:01 pm »

Adrence, I mean

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2013, 05:53:20 am »

Pretty great game overall. Story kept me engaged all the way, and I didn't find the twist(s) dissapointing at all. And I actually found the ZC1 twist rather meh.

It's pretty much what I'd expect from a proper sequel. Everything's bigger, the combat is better (or at least it doesn't feel like everything's got the gazillions of HPs I remember from the first game), the setting is expanded upon in a way that doesn't ruin it, and there's some new mechanics in place. It's one of those games I wish was longer (and I did unlock the last tomb).

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2013, 09:28:32 am »

Started on it this morning.  Already immersed.  It's just such a refreshing style of game.  The art book is pretty neat, and explains how defying game industry standards of design was one of their goals.  They say they modeled a lot of their stuff after 80s fantasy art, where ugliness was acceptable for the sake of characterization, and explain some of their decisions.  I really appreciate this stuff.

I'm kind of annoyed, though, that I can't play the game at my native resolution of 2560x1600.  It won't go higher than 1920x1200.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 [2] 3