Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does "Take from a pile" work?  (Read 2706 times)

Freddybear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How does "Take from a pile" work?
« on: October 05, 2007, 09:15:00 pm »

I'm having trouble with "take from stockpile", getting more than one small dining area to draw from the main food processing area pile. For example, pile 18 is the main kitchen pile. Pile 16 is "prepared food only, no barrels" and pile 20 is drinks only; both of these are near a dining area. I designated both piles 16 and 20 to "take from pile" 18. But they aren't taking. There are empty spots in both "destination" piles, while there is plenty of stock in the source pile 18. There are plenty of haulers available. What's going on?

I did read the wiki. It says something about not allowing for a direct loop, but it doesn't say whether multiple piles can draw from one main pile.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How does "Take from a pile" work?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 09:56:00 pm »

Did you go from 18 to 16/20 or 16/20 to 18? How long did you wait?

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 09:58:00 pm »

Although I'm no expert in this game myself. From what I've seen, things that are not in stockpiles have higher precedence over things in other stockpiles.  The only place I seen "Take from pile" actually work is in the wood piles because there are much less of those than there are food.

But I could be wrong.

[ October 05, 2007: Message edited by: Klokjammer ]

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 10:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Freddybear:
<STRONG>I'm having trouble with "take from stockpile", getting more than one small dining area to draw from the main food processing area pile. For example, pile 18 is the main kitchen pile. Pile 16 is "prepared food only, no barrels" and pile 20 is drinks only; both of these are near a dining area. I designated both piles 16 and 20 to "take from pile" 18. But they aren't taking. There are empty spots in both "destination" piles, while there is plenty of stock in the source pile 18. There are plenty of haulers available. What's going on?

I did read the wiki. It says something about not allowing for a direct loop, but it doesn't say whether multiple piles can draw from one main pile.</STRONG>

Take from stockpile does work.  If hauling tasks aren't backlogged (double-check this) it will work quickly.  As far as my experience goes, a stockpile may have at most one other stockpile taking from it.  If you try to have another take from it, the first take from order will be canceled.

In your case, consider having the haulers take directly from the kitchens and breweries to separate, large, central edibles and liquor stockpiles.  The first should be on the path most dwarves take to your main dining hall.  The second should be near the center of fortress activity.  Secondary stockpiles may be filled from them as desired.

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 12:51:00 am »

The thing is, one stockpile can only be supplying one stockpile at a time.

For example, you can't have this:

code:

# = Stockpile
% = Main stockpile

#
  |
#--%--#
  |
  #

With a line meaning that it is currently grabbing from the main stockpile.  Instead you're going to have to do something more like this:

code:

#---
     |
#--%  #
|     |
---#---

That's if you want the items to at least go through all of the stockpiles, or if you have enough of the stuff to keep all of them full.

Your problem can't be helped with this information though.  It's just how it works right now.

Edit:  Oh, one stockpile can grab from multiple piles, it just can't supply to more than one.  If you assign a stockpile to grab from a stockpile that's already assigned to give to another, then it will just stop giving to the latter, and start giving to the newly assigned pile.

[ October 06, 2007: Message edited by: Pacho ]

Freddybear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 06:36:00 am »

Yes, that's what I'm seeing. After I just sat and watched it for a while, it works, but only one destination stockpile can be taking from a source pile at a time. Trying to add another destination cancels out the previous one.

Oh well, so much for that plan. Back to micromanaging stockpiles.

Mu.

• Bay Watcher
  • Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 08:47:00 am »

Yeah, I really wish stockpiles could supply multiple stockpiles.  I had 2 plant stockpiles near my farms, a sweet pod stockpile and pig tail stockpile near my farmer workshops, and then a large general-purpose unprepared-food stockpile near my kitchens.  It would have been nice to have each plant pile pointing at the other three stockpiles.