Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: The Legend of Roll and Dodge: Turn 3: Counting Turns Might Not Be Lame  (Read 12824 times)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Roll and Dodge: Turn 3: Counting Turns Might Not Be Lame
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2013, 12:52:59 pm »

Niiiiiiiiiiice.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2013, 09:06:58 pm »

Eh, guess I'll hop in the waitlist, even though it seems statistically unlikely that I'll end up in the game proper. :P
Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2013, 09:11:45 pm »

Why, because it seems to have stalled?

We even have all four characters posted!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2013, 09:17:29 pm »

((This isn't really a fun game. For me. Like, making it.

I'm not sure how to make a fun game other than I keep accidentally stumbling onto the formula for one every once in a while.

I'll try to squeeze an update out sometime soon though.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2013, 09:19:36 pm »

Which part?  The plot, the art, or the setting?

Did it not turn out like you thought it would or did it end up being less fun and more work?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2013, 09:25:48 pm »

I'm not sure how to make a fun game other than I keep accidentally stumbling onto the formula for one every once in a while.

I can imagine. Doing lots of art and such seems like it'd sour things a bit quickly. :/

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2013, 09:29:06 pm »

I can imagine. Doing lots of art and such seems like it'd sour things a bit quickly. :/

That's not even it though, just part of it. I'm starting to realize something about the games I make.

The ones that I run for a long time and get invested in and have great success with are the ones I don't think out at all beforehand.

Warrens was just going to be a generic dungeon crawler parody. MKW was just going to be running about bashing goombas and making Mario references. So on and so on.

It's like, when I have an idea in mind for how something "should" be run or "should" be written or 'should" be drawn I get tired of it immediately after starting it.

It's funny. I've seen it in every GM tips thread: think things out BEFORE you start them! But, as it turns out, that corners me into doing things a certain way. Like, even if it doesn't, I absolutely hate to downsize. I don't know. Maybe those tips aren't for everyone and I should just stop making games with a story at the beginning.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2013, 09:31:23 pm »

Ah, I see now. Well, I can't make you run it and wouldn't want to if you didn't want to run it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2013, 09:36:53 pm »

Well, if that's the way you feel that you've found the most success(or fun as the case may be), then GM by the seat of your pants.

Going by the past times you've done that, everyone'll inevitably end up loving the hell out of it.
Though, since this was equally loved, maybe it's just an inherent trait of every game you make. :P

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2013, 09:41:01 pm »

Well, if that's the way you feel that you've found the most success(or fun as the case may be), then GM by the seat of your pants.

+1

I can't speak really because I'm not playing, but you should torpedo the game now if you already don't like it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2013, 10:05:07 pm »

[If it isn't fun for you, don't continue it for our sakes. The goal is for everyone to have fun, GM's especially included. If you feel confined by a setting, or plot line, or whatever, just toss it out and do a reboot, or do something entirely different, or whatever you want.

Never feel confined with what you're trying to work with, unless you want to be, because ultimately its your thing you're trying to work with, and if it isn't what you wanted, why do it? No one will think any differently if you kill the game off, no one wants to force you to do anything you don't want to do.

That's my two-bits on the situation at least.]

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2013, 10:08:31 pm »

Thank you but I do feel bad killing anything off, especially so soon :( Also poor Errol, he probably feels like a bad luck charm in my games :P

One could, possibly, say that a dedicated forum game GM is constantly on a quest to find the perfect maintainable ratio of enjoyment to work - both for the players and author.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2013, 10:11:56 pm »

Here's an idea I just had.

Most of the games I've had or I am having fun with, I started with an idea for the start and my "planning" was figuring out how things worked--and I didn't do too much of that. Most notable examples: Metamorphican Madness II and The Art of Minimalism. The former started with "I'll stick people in a lab and have them do whatever." One's a giant trying to steal a bike that'll fit, one's a wormbatthing monster who might be founding the Worm Tribe, and dermonster destroyed the laboratory!
Sig

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2013, 10:16:25 pm »

Here's an idea I just had.

Most of the games I've had or I am having fun with, I started with an idea for the start and my "planning" was figuring out how things worked--and I didn't do too much of that. Most notable examples: Metamorphican Madness II and The Art of Minimalism. The former started with "I'll stick people in a lab and have them do whatever." One's a giant trying to steal a bike that'll fit, one's a wormbatthing monster who might be founding the Worm Tribe, and dermonster destroyed the laboratory!
And so far, every RTD that I've done, I've just started with a basis, and added stuff as I went along. For example with Mall Fight, which started with three people wandering the mall, and is now the aftermath of a pokemon battle, with most characters gaining some kind of pokemon, and one character getting into a bonus boss fight with Darth Vader.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2013, 10:21:06 pm »

...one's a wormbatthing monster who might be founding the Worm Tribe...

Make that a definitely, just gotta figure out some way to stay a wormbatthing monster to keep the looks of a proper worm shaman. Then to figure out how to force others to accept him as a shaman. Probably by water bending and hyper voicing. ...Didn't I start as a janitor that was basically Scruffy from Futurama? Damn, that game does weird things.

Sorry for the off topic, just had to make that comment.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8