Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: The Legend of Roll and Dodge: Turn 3: Counting Turns Might Not Be Lame  (Read 12827 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Let me tell you a little story.

So there's these kids, right? Roll's the lad with the hair gel, Dodge is the lass with the quick tongue. Twins or somethin' like that. They always dreamed of makin' a fortune when they got older, but ya see, they got a little impatient. Sometime round 16, Roll and Dodge caught wind of a bounty on the head of Sorceress Whitewater. So they went out searching, ya see, they went out searchin', and would you know it? They found Whitewater's dungeon.

They pushed blocks, solved puzzled, slew ghosts and got the key to boss room. You know how these dungeons are, ya can't just go right up to the boss an' slay 'em. So as I was sayin', they got the key to the boss room and got in this big battle. Whitewater put up a good fight but in the end Dodge put a sharp one through the witch's bloodbeater. The kids are thinkin', yeah, they're rich now. But of course Whitewater pulls a fast one on them and casts one of those spells what splits her into seven Crystal Shards or somethin'. Can't even grab 'em before she splits 'cause they're scattered around the world. Oh, bother.

So Roll and Dodge travel across the land and fight these guardians, right? Each one protects one of Whitewater's crystals. Even when they're cuttin' up dragons and golems and elementals, they just know it'll all be worth it when they finally put together Whitewater's crystals and get their million Gold Rupees. Then at last they're on the seventh final dungeon, right after battling some giant beast or other when they find, finally, Whitewater's last crystal. Roll and Dodge go up an' lay their hands on it...

...When Whitewater's master plan is revealed. Roll and Dodge, now the two most competent young heroes in the land, are trapped in enormous Crystal Shards in the depths of the final dungeon of ultimate destiny. Can't even turn their head, they power of the evil crystals they collected is slowly draining their life force to nothin'. In a matter of weeks, they'll be dead as a doornail, and Whitewater will return again.

'Course, that's alright. I know this story back an' forth by now. That's why you lot are here. You lot are four bumbling beginner heroes sent out on the most dangerous suicide mission known to man: rescue Roll and Dodge from the clutches of the most powerful sorceress in the world.

Spoiler: Sign-up sheet (click to show/hide)

Current players:
-
-
-
-

Waitlist:
-There is not a traditional waitlist. Instead, when it's time to bring a new character in, I will select the most applicable of the applicants so far and PM them.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:44:20 pm by freeformschooler »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Roll and Dodge (0/4)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 05:14:14 pm »

IN GIVE MOMENT.

The height was a typo but then I went yes and beautiful things happened.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:46:15 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 05:18:54 pm »

Reserve.

Name: Lazaras Khane
Appearance: Lazaras has short brown hair and pale grey eyes with tiny stubs where his ears used to be.
Backstory: Lazaras is a complete and utter coward, his father insisted on this life for him in a vain attempt to force him to grow a spine and to date Lazaras has spent most of his time advancing away from his enemy as fast as his feet will carry him.
This has resulted in his being very fast on his feet and also very strong due to all the excersize he gets.
Now Lazaras is not incapable of fighting, he just lacks what most would call a set of balls and so prefers to stab or shoot his enemy in the back from the shadows if at all possible otherwise he will in his opinion make the only sensible choice.
He will hamstring his ally and run while the enemy is busy finishing said ally off.
Class: Shadow Hunter. ( Uses twin blades and a longbow. )
Strength: 1D8
Intellect: 1D4
Dexterity: 2D4
Vitality: 1D6

(( Yes my hero is a complete and utter wimp, somebody has to live to the tell the tale of your heroic deaths after you accidentally got hamstrung..... ))
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:32:33 pm by Brood »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 05:18:58 pm »

Spoiler: Alduin, Magic Gunner (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:39:19 pm by adwarf »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 05:21:13 pm »

What yes in. Just need to-

"Bro" is not an acceptable name.
Wait, damn.

No, you cannot be a robot.
Aw but that-!

No, you cannot be a sexy snailman warrior.
THIS IS BULLSHIT FFS. THIS GAME IS BULLSHIT AND YOU'RE BULLSHIT.

Really though augh, so many options. NEED MORE TIME! TIME SUFFICIENT.

Name: Cherry Skullpop
Appearance: Very pale-skinned girl with a high-set white ponytail. Prefers villainous-looking revealing studded leather clothes.
Backstory: Cherry is the seventh daughter of Queen Chalcedony, a sorceress-warrior-queen who attained the throne by saving the kingdom from various disasters better than all the other heroes she was competing with. This also left a convenient number of nearly equally powerful, fairly enraged contenders to help keep the kingdom "strong."

Unfortunately, Cherry wasn't even born when one of Chalcedony's old friends/rivals/bitter enemies made a play for the throne. The resulting catastrophe was truly glorious, with demonic invasions and weird curses and the moon acting all funny and everything, but poor Cherry was forced to hear about all this after the fact and largely as an explanation for why someone else was probably totally going to get the throne instead of her. Explanations that she could probably still get a hold of some land or a bandit camp or something and serve as a foil to her eldest sister the way all the various barons and other runnerups served as foils to her mother were not very comforting.

When another rival made a play, this time with Cherry available, she tried her hand at adventuring, but soon lost heart at the prize- specifically, Duke Lemonheart's ploy was basically just to destroy everything with lava, and Skulldust was still far in the lead as far as throne-gaining. Faced with trying and probably failing to melt everything or toadying up to her sister, Cherry took a third option and just took off, leaving the whole mess behind and hoping to make her fortune some other way.
Class: Disciple of Mammon
Strength: 1d4
Intellect: 2d4
Dexterity: 1d6
Vitality: 1d8
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:39:54 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 05:25:00 pm »

FIRST SPOT ON WAITLIST, HERE I COOOOOME

Name: Lilianna Kythros
Appearance: Cold weather clothing - overcoat, scarf, vest, thick shirt, shapeless patched pants thingies, gloves, pompom hat, and a few too many belts. Leading colors are washed out greens, yellows and browns. Bright azure hair. Long, fancy looking staff, too, with a blue glowy thingy. Quarter elven, or so she claims.
Backstory: Hailing from an obscure mountain country somewhere to the north, more specifically from its so-called Royal Academy of Geomancery, Lilianna is out here in the search for the World Tree which, she says, is absolutely vital for a few key aspects of her craft. Most of the time that seems to be a front to tour the world, get wasted and rack up huge unpaid tavern bills, though...
She absolutely cannot resist cracking cheesy jokes and groanworthy puns at the worst possible times, and rarely takes anything seriously... so she kind of slid into the whole saving the world business, but hey, taking down an evil sorceress? Piece of cake!
Class: Geomancer
Strength: 1d6
Intellect: 1d8
Dexterity: 2d4
Vitality: 1d4
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 07:11:02 pm by Errol »
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 05:26:02 pm »

Waitlist time

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 06:03:50 pm by scapheap »
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 07:27:12 pm »

IN!
EDIT: FREAKING NINJAS NINJAING MY SHITTY SLOW INTERWEBS SHIT CRAP DAMN
OTHEREDIT: Also, calling it, the 7th dungeon Roll and Dodge are in isn't the final dungeon. There's eight. There's always eight.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 07:31:49 pm by Geen »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 07:41:05 pm »

PTW
CHARACTER LATER FOR WAITLIST
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 07:43:44 pm »

yeah just waitlist me.

I always had a character sheet what are you talking about.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:25:39 am by Ochita »
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 08:15:46 pm »

I FINALLY CAME UP WITH AN IDEA! And then I fiddled with it, because there's no way "Ciro" would be accepted.

Spoiler: Gumthog the Undying (click to show/hide)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Benjamaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 08:28:20 pm »

Name: Hehkakei
Appearance: Green hair, brown eyes. not very tall. He always wears a black & white coat over anything else he's wearing. Wears a diadem.
Backstory: Hehkakei is the last heir to a fallen kingdom. He wants to revive his kingdom no matter the cost. AND KILL SOME MOTHER F***ERS!!! He suffers from fandom violent tantrems that usually end up with someone dying.
Class:  Berserking Alchemist-Swordsmen
Strength: 2d4
Intellect: 1d6
Dexterity:  1d 8
Vitality: 1d4
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:46:06 pm by Benjamaru »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 08:43:47 pm »

AGH.  Why did I miss this?  Oh well- I got through MKW's waitlist in a year, time to beat this one in a similar timeframe!

Name:  Backmor
Appearance:  A gangly, blonde long haired youth with bright green eyes.  His eyes gleam with hope of what the future holds.
Backstory:  Backmor is the ultimate idealist.  He is fully convinced that good will win in any conflict, no matter the odds against them.  He is apprenticed in the local mage college, studying the art of the Swiftmage- magic users who use their art to enhance the speed of the user, solving their problems by avoiding blows and either hitting faster or outrunning their opponent.  Hearing the plight of the heroes, he volunteered as quickly as he could to see them rescued.  He will not be daunted by evil, for he feels the power of True Good is enough to see him through.
Class:  Swiftmage
Strength:  1d6
Intellect:  1d8
Dexterity:  2d4
Vitality:  1d4
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 08:48:35 pm »

Turn 0

Well, what's this, now? A rowdy band of aspiring ne'er-do-wells? Nah, it's the Roll & Dodge Rescue Team, carefully assembled just hours ago at Everbrook Fortress. Lord Everbrook himself appointed these four to go on a most dangerous rescue mission. Why don't we go right ahead an meet 'em?

This one's Liliana. She hails from the Frigid Northerlands because every game needs at least one character hailing from the Frigid Northerlands. She's a beginning Geomancer, a type of sorceress who takes advantage of terrain to the detriment of her foes. Whitewater's many dungeons no doubt have all kinds of treacherous terrain, so Liliana will be a valuable asset to the team.

Marina is a hair... guitarist... bard... elf. Uh, you know, even I ain't entirely sure why Lord Everbrook picked her. Maybe it's her dashing good looks or the fact that her head's a few pixels higher than the others. Yeah, that's it. Marina's a Bard of Hair, meaning she uses her hair and her songs to foil her foes. I'm sure she'll need a lot of locks for those spellsongs, so it's a good thing she has plenty to go around!

This one is - oh, my, what the heck is she wearing? This one's Cherry Skullpop. She sounds like a candy and comes from some kinda candy kingdom, I think, maybe. Word is she heard of the fortune still on Whitewater's head and took off toward fame and gold after a series of outrageous tragedies in her homeland. She's a Disciple of Mammon, a type of ne'er-do-well what specializes in backstabbing allies and other anti-social behavior. Tsk, tsk.

Finally, Alduin is a rough-and-tumble magic gunner hailing from nope don't even care. He has dreams of being a bounty hunter, and Lord Everbrook provided him just that opportunity. Now, Alduin's surrounded by pretty ladies, yes, but I doubt he'd wanna start with any of them. The lot look awful competent.

Now, being this is one of those top-down games, why don't we get to the start of the story and switch perspective here?

The group stands at a crossroads just south of Everbrook Fortress. A few Slimes are just hangin' around, you know, doin' whatever it is Slimes do. A big ol' wooden sign points them in the right direction, whichever way that is. To the north, Everbrook Fortress stands tall, still visible in the distance. To the south, the Citizens' Everbrook  - the Village, that is - has all sortsa shops n' advice for a young adventurer startin' out. The Flutter Fields, to the east, are one of the rumored locations of the Sorceress Whitewater's dungeon. The Contested Lands, to the west, are another.

((You may now roleplay at your leisure. All actions must be bolded.))

Spoiler: Marina/Dermonster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Liliana/Errol (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Alduin/adwarf (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:54:21 pm by freeformschooler »

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 08:58:39 pm »

Nooo! I'm too late.  :'( Waitlist, please?

Name: Skittles
Appearance: Clean shave hair, muscular, with many tattoos.
Biography: Skittles hopes to become the ultimate bard. He has performed many poems before, and entertained many people. He was abandoned when he was young, but found by a nearby priest named Cleric Dre. He performs his poems quickly, calling them "raps".
Class: Bard. He can perform rap spells which can invigorate allies or demoralize enemies.
Strength:  1d4
Intellect:  1d8
Dexterity:  2d4
Vitality:  1d6
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8