Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The game of Go: Board game  (Read 4472 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The game of Go: Board game
« on: April 01, 2013, 04:39:15 pm »

For those of you who don't know, Go is a 2 player strategic board game where players take turns placing stones on the board, trying to seal off territory and/or taking the opponents stones (I personally think it's harder then chess). The winner, depending on the rules, depends on how much territory each player grabs, and how many stones they capture. If you're interested in learning, start here.

http://senseis.xmp.net/

Anime that seems to have a ridiculous amount of potential to get people interested in the game (half the people in my club got into it because of this)
Hikaru no Go

------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I recall an old thread but couldn't find it, so I made one. I also recall there being a bay12 room on KGS but I can't find that either.

So,ask questions, post your names and which server you use, and I will try to keep them recorded. Let's see what this turns into.

KGS http://www.gokgs.com/
-Micro102 (micro102)
-Azurestrike (azureshot)
-MagmaMcFry(McFry)

UPDATE: We now have our own room!. It's currently under "New Rooms".... Try and guess which one it is. The room is only temporary, I will try to keep it up. Need to negotiate with an admin for a permanent one. If you have an account that's a a few months old, tell me, my account is too new.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 04:26:31 pm by Micro102 »

Azurestrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The game of Go: Board game
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 05:34:16 pm »

Yeah, there was an old thread about this, but it's probably dead. I replied in the thread a few times. It'd be nice to play the game again but I don't frequent any servers. If there's an easy one to get into I'd be glad to play some games, iirc I'm around 15k? I might be rusty though.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 06:06:34 pm »

Easy to get into as in, no need to pay? KGS is pretty simple, have you tried it?

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 06:06:49 pm »

Link is broken.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 06:07:32 pm »

fixed

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 07:07:47 pm »

Seems like a good enough place to ask. Is there a decent website or client to play Go vs an AI, with graphics ?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 07:37:25 pm »

This sounds interesting, but I have the same question. Link to vs AI or KGS,please?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 08:33:41 pm »

I've actually started learning how to play Go, this is something that interests me.
I play adventure mode because it's hard and when I play, I am too.
I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 08:49:29 pm »

Interesting game that's incredibly simple to get into - but very difficult to master.

Though it's still quite fun for sure!
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 10:17:21 pm »

You lazy dwarves :P

The servers in the lists shall now be links.

As for playing a decent AI by yourself without needing a server, it's a pain. There used to be a good site but it cost too many server resources. The way I do it is through PANDA-gIGo, and I had to download a separate file for the AI. I forgot how to do it but a little searching should help. You can find some decent computers int he KGS computer go room though. Not all the time though.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:22:28 pm by Micro102 »

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 07:41:16 am »

To be honest, considering how easy it is to find both good clients and competent AI packages for chess, it is a bit odd that no such wealth of resources exists for the humble game of Go. Perhaps its all hidden in the orient of the internet or something.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 09:22:31 am »

9x9 board with limited move set is infinitely easier for a computer to search through than 19x19 board where you can put a piece pretty much anywhere.  :)

I used to play quite a bit, but I ran out of actual humans to play with and so mostly have lost interest. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 12:16:06 pm »

Well, you have servers like KGS, and if you want to play in person, you could make a club if you're in school.

Do actual Go parlors or whatever exist in the US?

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 11:11:21 pm »

Go is wonderful, and yes, so easy to get into and yet so difficult to master.

I learned to play Go with a Frenchman I met in Argentina.  We were living on a farm out in the country and would pass the siesta, and the after-dark hours playing this game.  We made a Go board out of an old plank with a red crayon, and used white and black beans for stones.  Hours of entertainment!

He was good.  Yet it was fun for both of us since we could adjust the playing handicap by simply allowing me first placement of a few extra beans.  That way we both could challenge ourselves. 

A game of Go sounds something like this:  Clack.......clack.......clack.........clack-clack-clack-clack-clack..........clack....clack-clack....."Damn!"
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 11:13:34 pm »

Yet it was fun for both of us since we could adjust the playing handicap by simply allowing me first placement of a few extra beans

It is somewhat how you do it. Someone who is a good player will generally place three stones and someone not very good will place five.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4