Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A portable DF  (Read 2610 times)

Dredonius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A portable DF
« on: April 01, 2013, 12:20:04 am »

Recently I was thinking about a portable Dwarf Fortress. Is there any way to do this? Does it already exist?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: A portable DF
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 12:55:45 am »

If you're referring to an in-game fortress that can change map locations, that sounds like a rather challenging mod project that you should ask about in the modding subforum.

If you mean playing Dwarf Fortress on the go, then you're rather limited in your choice of platforms. You could always play it on a laptop or netbook running your OS of choice, but since you're asking I assume you mean something out-of-the-way, like a tablet or smartphone.

There was a thread a long time ago about running DF on an Android tablet (I believe, it's been a few months). It was quite a job getting a virtual keyboard implemented within the program, but it was at least somewhat successful as I recall. Considering how resource-intensive Dwarf Fortress is and how most tablets and smartphones overheat if you so much as give them a funny look, you should either acquire a high-end device or lower how many resources Dwarf Fortress uses by disabling features like weather, blood spatters, and so on.

Considering how stable the Linux (Debian) version of DF is and the incredible portability of Ubuntu, you might want to research installing a distribution of Linux on your device. It's entirely up to you to pick a distribution that you will like, and the quality of Linux software varies wildly, but that is the most direct method I can think of for ensuring total software compatibility with Dwarf Fortress.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 08:34:31 am »

Every day a new DF phone thread...
Since when did laptops become not portable.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 04:35:17 pm »

My desktop is completely portable.  My desktop is more portable than a drier so I call it portable.   Now I just need a portable electric outlet and a back brace.

I suppose an actual portable version can't be too far off.  At least the old 3D versions anyway.  What I would think you would need is a windows based portable OS(or capability to emulate such) that supports minimum viewport size, and a functional keyboard system and you could feasibly get a portable version of DF on a mobile device.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 04:42:41 pm »

In theory recompiling DF to run on the Android platform should be doable without recoding enormous amounts of it.  It would still be very time consuming and painful to do, and Toady has little reason to put up with that.

The interface is going to be impossible to use on a phone in its current state though.

Wasn't there an application that would let you run DF through a terminal session somehow?  I have no idea how they sidestepped the interface not working well, if they even tried to.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 05:34:29 pm »

Thinkpad X230.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 06:08:34 pm »

Well remote terminals are a thing.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Lasander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 11:59:00 pm »

It fits and runs off of a USB drive.  Thats pretty dang portable.

Worship!

Naraceaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 11:40:15 pm »

One of the easiest things to do is put a linux server on an old box at home, ssh into it and play df that way. You main limiting factor is finding a good ssh app on your tablet/smartphone/<insert other portable device>. I've also used this when I wanted to play large forts on my low end laptop.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 10:28:51 am »

Every day a new DF phone thread...
Since when did laptops become not portable.
THIS.

God damn tablet normies. Buy a god damn laptop and rid us from Windows 8 and similar abortions invading the REAL stuff.

It fits and runs off of a USB drive.  Thats pretty dang portable.
And this.

I have my DF on DropBox. I can play it everywhere where I have Internet access and a computer.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 10:30:59 am by Trickman »
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 04:23:07 pm »

You'd have to find a phone with a large enough power supply first; and unless you can walk and play DF at the same you're going to be sitting down while you play. Most likely next to a wall outlet. Wondering why you aren't using a laptop.

Seriously though, why do people want DF on their phones? Is it just so you can say you have awesomeness on your phone, or is there a legit reason?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 09:38:10 pm »

Netbooks are pretty great for portable gaming. My netbook has dwarf fortress versions 23a (Wine) 40d (SDL version) 31.25 (linux native) and 34.11 (linux native) on it, all run well, along with a host of other roguelike games ( Umoria, Rogue, Nethack, Angband and a few variants ... etc. etc.) and it fits in my bag without issue. It's about as portable as could be expected.

As for phone and tablet versions, I don't think toady should bother with them. the game is very resource intensive, and would probably be too much for a phone or tablet processor to handle properly. Not only that, but toady would need to rework the interface to make it work properly with a virtual keyboard or worse a touchscreen.
Not to mention DF is not a good game for the type of gaming people want for a phone - it requires time, a lot of memory, some degree of focus, and even more time. Most mobile phone games are made to be playable in breaks or while in waiting rooms when you mayt only have 5-10 minutes for a session.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 11:29:41 am »

Thinkpad X230.

I would have gone with a convertible like the 230T

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 02:45:47 pm »

Use a netbook, or maybe one of those machines partway between tablet and netbook. Simple.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lasander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 02:42:52 am »

I have my DF on DropBox. I can play it everywhere where I have Internet access and a computer.
NICE.  Why the hell have I never thought of that?
Worship!
Pages: [1] 2