Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: D&D: Converting a 4e character to 3.5e  (Read 5112 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D: Converting a 4e character to 3.5e
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 01:37:17 am »

Honestly though I am not sure what the topic creator can do in the case of some character classes that don't have an equivilant build.

Warden for example.

Maybe us knowing what classes (s)he wants to convert could help.
Once I looked into the rune domain, I decided to just create a cleric. It had the thematic similarities to a rune priest that I was looking for.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 01:39:17 am »

Honestly though I am not sure what the topic creator can do in the case of some character classes that don't have an equivilant build.

Warden for example.

Maybe us knowing what classes (s)he wants to convert could help.
Warden, from what I have gleaned from a quick Google search, appears to be a melee-oriented druid thing. Fist of the Forest, Storm Warden, and that one Barbarian ACF that trades rage for minor druid casting might work. Or a very defensively built ranger with some bumped up spellcasting. It's not hard to approximate roles and flavor with 3.5 stuff because there's simply so much of it. I have something like 40 books on my shelf, and my friend has at least thrice that many in ebook format.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 01:46:55 am »

Spoiler: Paradigm Conflict (click to show/hide)

Yeah, Rune domain on a cleric is probably a solid, elegant way to go. Good luck, buddy.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 01:49:01 am »

Warden is a Defender Sub Controller (and can even be Sub leader if you are a Life Warden)

there is more to a Warden then just hitting things and casting spells as Transforming himself into a multitude of forms that give certain advantages (but arn't full transformations) is also an important aspect of the Warden.

It is the "Subcontroller" aspect that is the hardest to replicate as each blow has a dirrect affect and a negative affect. Which is something that 3.5 actively avoids as that is the domain of spellcasters.

Fighters are, if I remember correctly, Defenders sub strikers. Which is much more different then their 3.5 counterpart and something you could never successfully replicate because a 4e fighter in 3.5 is a terrible fighter.

Though I would like to see what would happen if 3.5 and 4.e fight eachother using their own rules.

In fact I'd almost would rather have rules that just allow you to use 4e character wholesale. I mean essentially what is the power difference between a Warlock and a Warlock?

I mean if the conclusion is that they are similar in power (at least enough so that the range is between samurai and wizard... being the weakest and most powerful classes) then why not instead just "convert" as in change a few rules to allow them.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:15:42 am by Neonivek »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 02:16:48 am »

Not really sure what the term Sub Controller means, but transforming for war is exactly what the 3.5 Warshaper is all about. Growing bear claws halfway through a punch, spontaneously shuffling organs around to avoid crits, et cetera.

It'd be interesting to compare the 4e and 3.5 fighter, but they're two wildly different animals. 3.5 has ludicrous numbers of feats to abuse with those bonus feats, but the 4e fighter gets (I think) something like spells that do things other than attack. If the 3.5 fighter goes for an ubercharger build, though, it's game over. One hit for 4,000+ damage is all it takes. As far as I know, there isn't such an easy route to breaking the 4e fighter, but I haven't played with it much.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 02:25:36 am »

Well there are the archtypes in 4.0: Defenders either draw attacks or prevent them (They also have great accuracy and consistant damage), Strikers deal lots of damage, Leaders heal and buff, and controllers give status effects and alter the field (essentially control the field).

(It should be noted that Controllers are only good as an extra in an already balanced team)

For example Warlocks are Strikers Sub Controllers: They are all about hitting for the most amount of damage but their attacks also change the battle field by moving enemies around, blinding them, or crippling their armor.

Sub just means it is the minor aspect of the character. So a Controller Sub Leader would be a controller who also does Leader type stuff on the side.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 03:02:03 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 [2]