Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any good free roguelikes? (Except Dwarf Fortress)  (Read 3786 times)

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
Any good free roguelikes? (Except Dwarf Fortress)
« on: March 30, 2013, 11:23:41 pm »

Yeah, title says it all. I just like roguelikes, how can somebody hate that genre?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any good free roguelikes? (Except Dwarf Fortress)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 11:28:38 pm »

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AhZ2bGNb4RZIdE5JTEs4b2xyNmllNnNRTWR1NzlCVXc&hl=en&authkey=CNScwJoF
This is a good place to start looking. There are many, many roguelikes.
Also useful may be
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Unless you want people to spout out every roguelike you've heard of, you should post which ones you've played.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 11:40:11 pm »

Would LCS count as one?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 12:07:26 am »

Quote from: official OP
Liberal Crime Squad is a satirical open-source text-based modern strategic political RPG with bad pickup lines and bad graphics.
It doesn't have roguelike elements, for the most part. I would say LCS is not a roguelike.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 12:38:09 am »

I really like Triangle Wizard.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 07:01:51 am »

Cataclysm.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 07:13:55 am »

Cataclysm is probably a pretty harsh experience for a first roguelike...

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup if by far one my favourites. IVAN has graphics, and is absolutely kickass as well if you can get it running. I've heard wonders about DoomRL for beginners, since it's more actiony. For a more puzzle-like experience, you might want to try Desktop Dungeons.

I'm not going to mention Nethack or ADOM because, for me, they are surpassed by DCSS at almost all levels.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 07:20:47 am »

Brogue is pretty awesome.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 08:33:22 am »

The ones i play the most in the RL genre :

Tales of Maj'Eyal (ToME4)
Great visuals, effect and interface , very replayable due to how differently each classes can play, very fun. Can use the mouse

Dungeon Crawl : Stone Soup
A more classic roguelike but with nice visuals and interface (in tile version) with lots of content and replayabililty. Can use the mouse (in tile version)

DoomRL
Amazing recreation of the Doom atmosphere in a RL environment, so well done that it feels like an action game despite it's turn based, very replayable. Can use the mouse

Elona
At its base there's a classic roguelike inspired by ADOM on which lots insanity and hilarity have been injected, often hilarious, sometime disturbing but with more sandbox/freeform element than the usual rogue likes . Can't use the mouse.
(most people may have moved to Elona+ that is a continuation of Elona development that itself ceased)

Brogue
Very good classic roguelike but streamlined to make it more easy to play than your usual RL , some interesting ideas , superb ASCII effects too. Can use the mouse

Rogue Survivor
Mix of zombie survival game and rogue like , lots of very good ideas and lots of fun to have there. Can use the mouse. Development seems to have ceased.

Cataclysm
Survival game with lots of horror movie/book references mixed with RL elements, lots of depth. Can't use the mouse.
original Cataclysm development has ceased
But fortunately a new team has taken over and release Cataclysm : Dark days ahead

UnrealWorld
Amazing survival game with some rogue like elements, very replayable and atmospheric. Can use the mouse
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:37:12 am by Robsoie »

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 08:53:36 am »

Prospector was a pretty awesome space resource gathering/exploration roguelike and the dev posted on this forum, but I'm not sure if it's still active.

Desktop Dungeons is a pretty decent coffee break roguelike/puzzle, but I lost track of what's free and what isn't, so I stopped playing it. Should still be a link to the free version on the website.

I'm even gonna slap on Spelunky! here, because it's awesome. It's a roguelike-like platformer and again the older version should be free. It's not a traditional roguelike though, so you might not like it.

From the ones Robsoie listed I'll recommend Tome4 and DCSS for more traditional roguelikes and DoomRL for a more coffee-break/beginner experience.

Also you should try IVAN since it's amazing, just ... just don't expect to win. Or do well. Or survive, really. To my knowledge it's the only one with actual code that spawns stronger enemies when you get better equipment. Also you can turn your arms into steel, or adamantium, or banana flesh.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 10:09:21 am »

Liberal Crime Squad is a satirical open-source text-based modern strategic political RPG with bad pickup lines and bad graphics.
It doesn't have roguelike elements, for the most part. I would say LCS is not a roguelike.
Why? It's got perma-death and randomly generated locales.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 11:19:14 am »

Incursion is essentially what you would get if you turned a one-person dungeon from D&D and turned it into a roguelike.
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 12:08:10 pm »

This does not make a roguelike.
Spelunky is not a fucking roguelike.

I'm not going to mention Nethack or ADOM because, for me, they are surpassed by DCSS at almost all levels.
Each of these is different enough for its own merit. DCSS has a focus on exploration, while Nethack has small floors. ADOM is pretty distinct in its randomization and sparse worthwhile loot; neither exploration nor massacre are rewarded much.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 12:35:57 pm »

This does not make a roguelike.
Spelunky is not a fucking roguelike.

Each of these is different enough for its own merit. DCSS has a focus on exploration, while Nethack has small floors. ADOM is pretty distinct in its randomization and sparse worthwhile loot; neither exploration nor massacre are rewarded much.
What makes a game a rougelike then?
Pages: [1] 2