Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: undead are overpowered!  (Read 3998 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: undead are overpowered!
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2014, 01:41:10 am »

I, honestly, believe that if it doesn't have a functioning brain it shouldn't get back up. "Remove the head or destroy the brain" Stick to true zombie lore, Toady!

I don't mind the divergence from the "true zombie lore" (though the true meaning of that statement is debatable).  Mainly because I've gotten burned out on the whole zombie thing and find it rather refreshing when a new spin is put on it.  Though I must admit, I find it hard to believe that the same severed head can continue to attack my dwarves after it has been hit with a steel battle axe twelve times.  There should at least be a point where maximum mutilation is reached and the body part is simply in too many pieces to be a threat anymore.

The pile of masterfully minced Urist McDeadguy pushes the Axedwarf in the head, tearing the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2014, 03:29:51 am »

Yeah, these are good points. It's not that zombies punch too hard but rather the extreme resilience their body parts have over the course of multiple reanimations. The reanimation trick is great, it makes for some awesome stories and very dynamic battles with the undead but at the same time there needs to be some sort of mechanism to track permanent damage to severed body parts or even a simple rule that once a disembodied part dies more than a couple of times it is now mashed beyond the point that it can attack if reanimated.

Then again it could be argued that it is simply part of the dark magic that during reanimation complete tissue regeneration occurs as well. Shattered bones knit themselves back together etc.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:36:19 am by Melting Sky »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 07:00:32 am »

'regular' undead have good speed and imo too much armour penetration, but you know they are there, wander aimlessly and slowly, and are pretty easy to damage.  the smaller the part, the less damaging it gets.

husks/thralls are different.  They are invincible and its your fault if you have them.  you knew they would be made.  but thralls* are laughably slow, to the point where if you wash them clean somehow a small pet would serve nicely as an inpromptu cabe blob, but with swords.

Zoms in this game are fine.  if i had one issue with them itd be that every piece gets up, multiple times.  rules on what can and cant attack, and perhaps limits (or just increasing the cooldown on biome-related animating) would be grand.  I like tge undead in this game.  you know they are coming, respect traps, and you should know not to expect a recruit to pound out every one without dying.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 08:51:13 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2014, 10:13:52 am »

Pulping undead is in the next version. IIRC corpses and body parts get progressively more damaged as they are "killed" over and over, until eventually they're so mushed they can't rise up again.

So just wait a little while longer.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 08:23:05 pm »

My pet dragon was stuck in a never-ending feud with a disembodied zombie head at the entrance of my fort, spitting fire at it ad nauseum for a good year or so.  None of my marksdwarves could fire at the head through the smoke, and all of my miners were scared off whenever they tried to drop a cave in on it.  Plus all of my dwarves were being spooked constantly, a few of them caught fire, and I couldn't train my dragon anymore because no one could get near it.

This brief collection of sentences contains the maximum possible amount of win.  It is a brief, pithy explanation of why DF is the best game ever, and why we all continue to play.  Almost every game will give you a story that will enrich your life until the end of your days.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.
Pages: 1 2 [3]