Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oddom of Pickworship  (Read 1148 times)

BusinessWolf

• Escaped Lunatic
  • All immigrants get their turn in the arena.
    • View Profile
Oddom of Pickworship
« on: March 28, 2013, 01:01:02 am »

I'm new to this forum so I don't know if there's a common format but I've been reading a few of your stories while playing, and this happened. So I decided I would share.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oddom Rimadrimtar, a soap maker and an axe-dwarf in the squad "Geared Long-Hooves" in the town of Pickworship

Parts of his description:
-Sixty-nine years old, born on the 14th of Malachite in the year 141
-Average size, sideburns, very long moustache is arranged in double braids, as is his beard.
-When possible he prefers to consume dwarven rum
-He can handle stress, very assertive.
-He is rarely happy or enthusiastic. He is put off by authority and tradition.
-Cannot get through the day without a drink

He had only one friend, another grumpy dwarf named Lokum Zatuzol, who died the year before from a tunnel collapse. His wife [Can't recall her name...] died the year before that during the fight against an invading Minotaur, which he slayed shortly after, avenging his wife.

Many dwarves dislike him, he doesn't have many Acquaintances and kids run from him. He has a cruddy home in SF3 [Subfloor 3, which is the slums in my fort] which only contains a bed and a chest where he puts his armor when he isn't training. He spends most of his time in the main hall drinking at the same table everyday. Until danger came.

On the 5th of Granite 211, the forgotten beast "Lor" breaks into the lower caves. Oddom is on patrol in that area with 4 other dwarves from his squad. They are immediately told to retreat until the other squads arrive, but Oddom charged.

Did Oddom realize I was going to sacrifice some miners to buy time and decided to save them? Was he just mad at the world? Did he wish to die? I still don't know, but I do know what followed.

Oddom charged deep into the caves and turned the corner, now faced with Lor. Lor is a giant rat [about 3 times his size] with four tusks, red fur, and can spit fire. Oddom charges, blocking the creature's fire breath with his shield and collides with it, knocking it back a step. As Lor tries to regain his footing Oddom slices its front right leg, taking it down again. Oddom attempts to chop its head off but before he can there's a huge blaze of fire.

The other squads arrive, smoke everywhere. Blood all around. On the left is Lor, what's left of him... he is separated into five pieces: head, left front leg, right back leg, head, and torso. The torso still has a silver battleaxe sticking out of it. On the right is Oddom, sitting and smiling. From his mouth pours blood, the other dwarves move to help him but he doesn't need it. He stands on his own and recovers his axe from his opponent and walks back into the main hall.

I read the logs... and the last move... the last line... "The Axedwarf bites The forgotten Beast in the head and the severed part sails off in an arc!"

Many dwarves still see Oddom as a grumpy old dwarf that spends too much time drinking, the kids still run, and he still has a boring job. But trust me Oddom, I will remember.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Oddom of Pickworship
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 06:22:14 am »

That's one badass dwarf.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 11:14:05 am »

Man, love it. Classy way to finish the beast. Dwarven, no less.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 11:36:58 am »

Build him a grand tomb. Also,

Many dwarves still see Oddom as a grumpy old dwarf that spends too much time drinking, the kids still run, and he still has a boring job. But trust me Oddom, I will remember.
No such thing.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 12:03:54 pm »

No such thing.

On Break
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 04:07:03 pm »

No such thing.

On Break
GET BACK TO WORK YOU LAZY SLOB.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

BusinessWolf

• Escaped Lunatic
  • All immigrants get their turn in the arena.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 06:42:45 pm »

No such thing.
I am already constructing his tomb and I upgraded his housing to the main floor with a dining room.

And you're right, there is never enough drinking, I apologize.