Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Feudal Wars: And So It Begins, A Tale Of Samurai  (Read 3349 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Feudal Wars: And So It Begins, A Tale Of Samurai
« on: March 27, 2013, 09:13:11 pm »

I'm going to be running this as a mechanics-light story-heavy game, so bear with me.

There stood six castles on the archipelago of Mugepasu. Each castle, and it's lord, stood in staunch opposition of one another, but had been united under the Lord of Sun, Shogun Yamato. However, this story is not about Lord Yamato... It is about the events after his death.

Lord Yamato left no ancestors, and when news spread the great emperor shogun had passed, the Lords of the land saw it as opportunity masked in a solemn sense of loss. It was not long before armies were massed, and total war declared...

Six Castles Stand.
The Castle Black, Moumoyoufu
The Castle White, Kiboukoro
The Castle Red, Funsaikido
The Castle Blue, Nagareshin
The Castle Green, Mitsurii
The Castle Yellow, Keikentaiyou

These castles each held a Lord, the Lords each held an army, each army held a flag. The flag was held high... but no Lord commanded a full assault. They would be crushed as soon as they marched upon another. Soon, border towns boomed with warriors, and these borders became areas of isolated but constant strife...

You are a ronin. To pledge to one of the Lords is to devote yourself to them in order to gain their bonuses and their abilities. You will become one of the warriors of the border. You will either bring yourself to fame and prosperity or die on your chosen flag.

Technical stuff time. Basically, I will let one player in per flag, maybe two later on, and you will be able to create your own samurai. This is the only technical bit to the game, and here's how it works:

Characters have three types of builds: Light, which have high stamina but low HP, Medium, which strikes a balance between the two, and Heavy, a type that tires quickly but takes hits easily. Depending on the flag you choose, your appearance will change and your fighting style will be a mix of personal choice and the nation of your choice. First players, you get the luxury of having no metagaming ability, and don't know what each nation's style is, nor what their lord is like.

Lastly, your sword will change with you. At first it will look like any other, but it will begin to change based on your actions.

Oh, there's also a GM avatar, but she's harmless to player-characters and will not interfere with fights. Again, a wait-and-see mechanic.

TL;DR? Here:
Player applications should look like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: without notes (click to show/hide)

------
Style Notes for the Nations:
Black: These samurai are draped in billowing black silk over their armor and wear Noh-like masks.
White: Golden-white armor and weaponry with geometric design, very efficient and stylistic.
Red: Mostly metal armor with leather connecting it together, and weapons designed to maim as well as they kill.
Blue: Mastered thin, almost chitin-like armor. Very strange, ornate blade designs.
Green:Mostly cloth armor with metal plates underneath. Often uses weapons other than a sword.
Yellow:Uses lots of samurai-inspired style armor, and long, broad swords.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:48:09 pm by Tsuchigumo550 »
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Feudal Wars: And So It Begins, A Tale Of Samurai
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 09:13:55 pm »

Reserved.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 09:14:40 pm »

First in, Reserved.

Name : Shinnyuusha
Build : Light
Bio : Shinnyuusha was simply a soldier in his lords army, he was a pore man from a pore family and was content with his life.
Several years into his service his lords son was kidnapped and he was sent out along with a large number of others to locate the son under the command of a fool.
That fool was killed a short while into the mission when he walked into an ambush and Shinnyuusha took control.
He discovered that he could understand that style of warfare very well and in short order managed to trick the enemy and captured them all.
With them taken he forced them to give him the location of his lords son and returned in triumph and was given training by another of his lords retainers and elevated to retainer himself in reward for his actions.
Personality : Shinnyuusha is a very loyal man but he is somewhat lacking in the normal sense of honor, he is more then happy to attack enemies from behind, to ambush in the night and to kill wounded and unarmed men to send a message.
His only priorities in battle are to keep his men alive and to win, he is incredibly devoted to his brother warriors putting them above anything else.
He is a very quiet man when he is not giving orders and more often then not will be found in a dark corner silently watching whats going on around him while having little or nothing to do with it himself but when he is forced to take action a cold look comes to his face as he shuts down all emotion and becomes a cold and efficient killer.

Tactics : Fast, Balanced, Gurilla, Raider. ( Honor has no place on the battlefield, he will use any tactic no matter how underhanded to win. )
Nation : The Castle Black, Moumoyoufu
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:43:09 pm by Brood »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 09:15:53 pm »

Lets try it.

Name: Hajime
Build: Medium

Bio: Hajime hailed from a mediumish town of respectable wealth, born to a merchant. After a bandit raid killed his father on a trip, he took up the sword in his honor. He gained skill in a notable fashon, and became a full soldier at the age of 20. He became a Ronin after it became clear that his sense of fair battle was, to the others, tarnished heavily. He has been on the road for three years.

Personality: In public or when a threat is near, very boistrous. Makes grand claims and purposefully stumbles around clumsily, as to put up an air of foolishness and incompetence. In private, or when no detectable threat is near, quiet and kind, prone to helping others and passing out sage advice, yet befriends few and trusts fewer. Sits with his back against a wall and is quick to use any means neccessary to end a fight in his favor. Likes noodles and is fond of rainy weather.

Tactics: Pragmatic, dirty.
Nation: The Castle White, Kiboukoro

"The purpose of fighting is not to gain glory, it is to stop the other combatant from killing you as swiftly as possible."
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:00:56 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 09:17:48 pm »

Reserve

Name: Ganji Mimakura
Bio: The son of a poor, downtrodden farmer, Shojo learned the way of the Samurai, not for a noble purpose, but simply to prove that he was not weak, and to crush any man who would dare get in his way.
Personality: Loud, boisterous, arrogant.  Very competitive and single-minded.
Tactics: Offensive, not all out, but very aggressive still.
NationThe Castle Yellow, Keikentaiyou
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:33:49 pm by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 09:18:13 pm »

Reserve.

Nevermind, I'll be to busy, someone can take my spot.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:08:33 am by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 09:45:12 pm »

Dammit brood.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 09:55:33 pm »

"Lord Yamato left no ancestors"? Oh, dear, he was the first of his line; who will precede him?

Pointing out tyops aside...

Spoiler: Naowara Hirao (click to show/hide)

Anything else I should expand on?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 09:57:52 pm »

I thought this was Samurai wars, not 'Let's all be honorless dirty fighters'.

I'm not saying you were wrong in picking it it's just... there's three now.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 10:02:58 pm »

"Lord Yamato left no ancestors"? Oh, dear, he was the first of his line; who will precede him?

Pointing out tyops aside...

Spoiler: Naowara Hirao (click to show/hide)

Anything else I should expand on?

Derp.

I'm beginning to think "pragmatic" is a word I'm going to be seein a lot of, but everyone is fine right now. Just so long as I get an idea of your character- if you want to add details later feel free and notify me by PM or something, but I have what I need from everyone so far.

Yeah, I'm noticing a trend here. Guys, fighting style won't affect balance. That's rolls. Fighting style is just going to affect what happens when you roll good.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 10:05:35 pm »

I'd say something about how pragmatism is almost certainly better than honorable combat, possibly quoting the indiana jones scene where he shoots the swordsman, but then I realized that I would become 'That guy'.

Carry on!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 10:09:26 pm »

There's a that guy in my head laughing at the idea of balancing the styles but damnit I can try.

I did forget to mention something kinda important, but not game-breakingly important. There's a third value, but it's the same on all builds.

HP is hits you can take, Stamina is hits you can give, but then there's Spirit, which isn't even used for a while, and may not come up, but each character has a few points in Spirit and this can do things. Just, not things I can explain yet. You'll find out in game, but I'll go ahead and say that Spirit does not regenerate. This makes it kinda important, but everyone gets 3 points of it, sadly, I can't tell you what it really does. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out though.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 10:12:20 pm »

Reserve

Name: Ganji Mimakura
Bio: The son of a poor, downtrodden farmer, Shojo learned the way of the Samurai, not for a noble purpose, but simply to prove that he was not weak, and to crush any man who would dare get in his way.
Personality: Loud, boisterous, arrogant.  Very competitive and single-minded.
Tactics: Offensive, not all out, but very aggressive still.
Nation:The Castle Black, Moumoyoufu

Ach, wait. Can't take Moumoyoufu, but, if you don't get a chance to respond, I'll let you take something that wasn't taken before your original post. Sorry guys-below-this-post.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 10:17:27 pm »

I thought this was Samurai wars, not 'Let's all be honorless dirty fighters'.

I'm not saying you were wrong in picking it it's just... there's three now.
Dag nabit.

Maybe I should just port Hagiwara Naohiro over wholesale.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 10:21:08 pm »

Wait, I can't take Moumoyoufu?  Why?  Also, it's a bit difficult to understand what you just wrote, Tsuchigumo.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: [1] 2 3