Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Path to Knighthood - Turn 0: Calm Before the Storm (Accepting Waitlisters)  (Read 7726 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

"Very well. One gold crown for the shortsword." Lilliana said, disinterested. She knew her next stop was to the Chapel, to find a priest of War to bless it for her. After that, she hoped to have enough time to get training done.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Path to Knighthood - Turn 0: Calm Before the Storm (Accepting Waitlisters)
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2013, 05:36:09 pm »

...well. I'm not quite sure what I expected. Thank Fenris I don't actually have to face him on the battlefield. That was terrifying.
...I'm going to need to rest. My legs are shaking...

Get to the camp smithies, purchase two iron daggers and rest.

Wiping dirt from your sword you walk away from the training field slightly dazed, that was something far beyond your expectations that's for sure but you feel more confident with this knowledge in mind. Weaving your way through the camp you make your way towards the plumes and pools of smoke that mark out the camp smithies, upon arriving you find most of the smiths are set up simply for the repair and maintenance of the army itself. After searching for a few minutes you com upon a tent with your fellow Squire, Lillianna you believe it was, who is apparently purchasing a shortsword from the rather rough looking smith behind the counter.

As you approach Lilianna departs, her new shortsword in hand, and you are left to browse the smith's stocks for a dagger but fail to find any in the racks behind the counter. When you ask the man if he has any he simply grunts, and hoists a small wooden chest onto the table as he cracks the lid wide revealing around a dozen iron daggers of fair craftsmanship within. On the top of the lid in a spidery hand you see "Iron Dagger, Unblessed. Cost - 3 Silver Marks each", and frowning slightly you quickly hand the man a gold mark and request two of the daggers, within moments you find yourself leaving the shop with two daggers and four silver marks in hand. Perhaps it was time to rest you think, and
make your way up the hill towards the tower where you lay down in the shade of the shattered spire and drift off to sleep ...

Two Iron Daggers and 4 Silver Marks gained, 1 Gold Crown spent.

Andos picked up his things and left the others without a word. This would be his first battle, and he was in a thoughtful mood. He would most likely be removed from danger whatever happened, and as such he did not need more armor; he had trained all his life and did not feel like hitting targets; he felt fine and had never believed in the snake's oil produced by the wise women at the hospital, either. That left him the chapel.

He went there and kneeled before the God of Death's altar, praying silently. He asked for the usual things - to have his arrows strike true and for his eyes not to betray him - but he was more interested in the priests. Perhaps they could be of use?

Look for any trinket the priests might have in the chapel that could be useful. Ask for a blessing from the priests of the God of Death.

Settling in a fair distance from the normal soldiers gathered around the altar to the God of Death you kneel down, and pray to the God of Death, as you do so you feel an overwhelming presence brush against you. For a brief moment you see the soon to be battlefield not far from you, on it the two armies clash with yours being severely outnumbered though a deep gash lies in the Empire's middle ranks where a trio of Knights lay about themselves like embodiments of death. Suddenly the thick black clouds of smoke pouring from the enemy camp turn an acrid red and the sound of an explosion fills the air, both armies seem to freeze for a few moments before an bone chilling roar replaces the explosion.

As you watch the Empire's forces let out a cheer and you hear the sound of massive thundering steps coming ever closer, within moments you see a massive beast smashing its way through the enemy camp. A towering figure with skin of a charcoal grey, its one bulbous eye observing the field with the eye of a killer, in the monster hand is a sword more then twice the size and length of the average man made of a pale black metal. Its surface jagged, and the sword itself barely recognizable as such with such shoddy craftsmanship that it appears as if the maker simply beat it with a hammer from its natural state.

You are forced to watch in horror as the beast smashes into the two gathered armies, laying about with its massive sword and slaying dozens, friend and foe alike. With a sudden stab of pain you fall forward gasping for breath, your mind running as fast as it can analyzing what you just saw ...

"Always good to have backups. I that case, I'll take the siege crossbow and two daggers."

Buy siege crossbow and two daggers, then head for the priest area.

Fishing out two Gold Crowns from your leather purse you slap them down on the table and ask for the Siege Crossbow, and the two iron daggers. Within a few moments you find yourself walking out of the smith's shop with a small note detailing the location of his shop in Granite Peaked, slinging the crossbow over you shoulder on its leather strap you make your way back towards the shattered tower. The new selections of weapons on you don't even slow you down as you march up the overgrown road leading to Ramus's Demise, as the tower is called, as you pass by the base of the tower nearest the camp you spot Alexis sleeping in its shade.

Shaking your head slightly you enter the priest area to find Andros toppled over in pain with several priests gathered around him chanting some prayer in an old language. A young soldier darts past you and your left starring at the scene in bewilderment not entirely sure what to do.

Siege Crossbow, Two Daggers, Leather Quiver, and 6 Heavy Bolts gained. 2 Gold crowns spent, 6 Silver Marks returned.

"Very well. One gold crown for the shortsword." Lilliana said, disinterested. She knew her next stop was to the Chapel, to find a priest of War to bless it for her. After that, she hoped to have enough time to get training done.

Reaching forward you slap a Gold Crown and you think you see the smith give you a wry smile before he turns around and pulls down a shortsword and a plain leather scabbard, taking them in hand you quickly walk away. Your walk to the Chapel is rather short, though quite eventful as at one point a man on horse wearing the tabard of a royal messenger nearly runs you down, but you manage to leap back just in time. Looking after the rider for a minute or two as you recover from nearly being ran down you notice the bags he carried are bulky beyond belief, and something silver glints from inside the barely closed satchel.

Before you can get a closer look the man and his horse disappear around the corner, shaking it off as coincidence you hurry on your way towards the Chapel arriving around the same time as a soldier dashes out, and runs down the hill towards the Apothecaries. As you enter the building you are greeted by one of your fellow Squires on the floor and pain, and most of the priests are gathered around him mumbling a prayer in some near forgotten language.

Steel Shortsword gained. 1 Gold Crown spent.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

"Andros. Get up. We don't have time to waste, here."

Try to search for some trinkets or charms, asking around the priests. Ask what happened of a nearby worshiper. Then try and find a priest blessing equipment, or one who seems to have the ability to do so.

Side note: Would it be okay for my character to worship two gods, but have Miser as his primary? I feel I should also give worship to Fenris.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Side note: Would it be okay for my character to worship two gods, but have Miser as his primary? I feel I should also give worship to Fenris.

You can worship as many of the gods as you wish, but you start out only having worshiped one enough to have gained some form of notice from them.

Edit: I updated the player statuses, check them out in the second post of the thread.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:26:18 pm by adwarf »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quite a few things to ask

First, what does the Reinforced quality on my Siege Crossbow mean?
How do morale rolls work?
Is the fact that a shortsword is less useful in all situations than a longsword by design or accident? To give an example of what I mean, against unarmored targets, the shortsword and the longsword do about the same damage. But if ANY armor comes into play, the harder hit of the longsword means it will always be more useful. And a longsword is one-handed, so it can be used with a shield, just as a shortsword could.
How does dodging work, mentioned under Cumbersome?
Would I be able to fire my Siege Crossbow while behind my tower shield? Firing it one handed, or propping/holding my tower shield up with my back?
About how famous or skilled are Squires as compared to normal soldiers?
How much of a role does the clergy play in the Seven Isles?
What are some common prayers, and requests, for and by the gods of Death and Justice? I can only assume Miser is a kindly god, but is he the type to usher souls unto their final reward, or the type who believes that if something is suffering much, one should kill it to put it out of it's Miser-y? :p

I needs the infos.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quite a few things to ask

First, what does the Reinforced quality on my Siege Crossbow mean?
How do morale rolls work?
Is the fact that a shortsword is less useful in all situations than a longsword by design or accident? To give an example of what I mean, against unarmored targets, the shortsword and the longsword do about the same damage. But if ANY armor comes into play, the harder hit of the longsword means it will always be more useful. And a longsword is one-handed, so it can be used with a shield, just as a shortsword could.
How does dodging work, mentioned under Cumbersome?
Would I be able to fire my Siege Crossbow while behind my tower shield? Firing it one handed, or propping/holding my tower shield up with my back?
About how famous or skilled are Squires as compared to normal soldiers?
How much of a role does the clergy play in the Seven Isles?
What are some common prayers, and requests, for and by the gods of Death and Justice? I can only assume Miser is a kindly god, but is he the type to usher souls unto their final reward, or the type who believes that if something is suffering much, one should kill it to put it out of it's Miser-y? :p

I needs the infos.

1) Reinforced - The weapon is harder to break with normal attacks (so you can use it block a blow without it getting mangled to bits), and (in the case of crossbows) fatal errors such as the arms snapping or bow string breaking do not occur.

2) Morale rolls occur when I feel the situation calls for, or when an ability causes one to be required. For morale rolls a d20 is rolled depending on the outcome an NPC will either stand his ground, become shaken (penalty to accuracy), rout, or surrender. For PC's you cannot be caused to rout but failing a morale causes you to become shaken (the worse you fail the worse the penalty).

3) A shortsword is not useless in any form, it attacks faster then the longsword meaning you have more chances to hit and it has the same ability to do damage as a longsword does because only the total damage has the armor subtracted from it. The usefulness of a shortsword is that you get more attacks which allow you to break through your opponents guard, perhaps shatter his shield, or cause some other opening that lets you finish them quickly. A longsword is more useful for taking out an enemy quickly, while you can deal more damage you'll have a harder time getting past a shield, or a good swordsman who or parrying and dodging your blows.

4) For examples of dodging go look at Errol's duel with the Knight, it has dodge rolls in it though the basis of it is that dodging is combination of parrying and simply avoiding blows, and in most cases getting above a ten is a successful dodge.

5) With your crossbow being a two-handed weapon you will not be able to use your tower shield while firing it, you'll either half to strap the shield to your back or drop it on the ground while your firing or reloading the crossbow.

6) Squires are respected, but they are seen about as the equivalent of a captain in the eyes of soldiers, why you are special you're not so special that an ordinary soldier won't be able to surpass you. Particularly skilled soldiers will be on the level of a newly chosen Squire (as in just taken under the wing of a Knight) unless that Squire has some form of magic or blessing available to him that makes that Squire able to surpass normal abilities.

7) The Clergy, or Church of the Six Saviors as its called, is prominent and well respected by the common folk but their full power is about equal to that of a middle tier noble (a Count for example) just more extensive as it reaches over the entirety of the Seven Isles. They are not prominent in the choices of the realm but they are good at organizing and helping the people of the Seven Isles make their lives better. In times of war the they are also a good portion of the army as the Sects of the God of War, God of Justice, and God of Death are to known to train War Priests to march to the field of battle, these priests are generally those devoted enough to have some blessing on par with that off a Squires given to them. But mainly they are looked to for basic leadership, and aid though not much else, of course this religion is excepted by all the native people of the Seven Isles.

8) Prayers vary, and the common kind used by clergy are spoken in ancient languages only taught to close friends of the Church or to priests and students of the Church. As for Miser he isn't such a kindly god, he does watch over the people of the Seven isles to some degree but very few ever gain his attention enough to be gifted except for the most devote of Priests and the Knights/Squires who are seen as soldiers of the Gods. He is the type to let lives run their course unless he sees some special purpose in letting them continue on.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1) Cool.

2) Okay. I thought it was a d6 for some reason.

3) OOOOOOH It's from the total damage. Derp. That makes so much more sense. Thanks.

4) I see. Okay then.

5) I was thinking of using it like a Pavise. Would that be possible?

6) Alright then!

7) Accepted by all the native people? No splinter sects or minor religions on lesser islands?

8 ) Cool. Also, HEHEHEHEHE. If he doesn't usually bestow favors...HEHEHEHEHEHE
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

5) I was thinking of using it like a Pavise. Would that be possible?

7) Accepted by all the native people? No splinter sects or minor religions on lesser islands?

1) Nope sorry, those shields are curving in the front with inlaid emblems, all together yours probably weighs somewhere around sixty pounds and would be ridiculously hard to use the same way as Pavise do to both the shape and weight.

2) Yeah no splinter sects, or other religions are practiced by natives (at least those that stayed in the Seven Isles, very few that left and returned may worship another religion but that might be a few hundred at most.) those six Gods are saviors of the Seven Isles, everyone of them has saved the people from one disaster or another.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Path to Knighthood - Turn 0: Calm Before the Storm (Accepting Waitlisters)
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2013, 11:18:25 pm »

"Andros. Get up. We don't have time to waste, here."

Try to search for some trinkets or charms, asking around the priests. Ask what happened of a nearby worshiper. Then try and find a priest blessing equipment, or one who seems to have the ability to do so.

You rail off a few offhand comments at Andros as he gets a sudden shudder of pain and attempt to communicate with one of the priests to purchase trinkets, but what your met with is a few glares from the priests before being promptly ignored. Not long after you feel a heavy hand grab your shoulder and push you back as the owner of said hand barges past you, a man with a thick black beard and ruffled hair that rests on his head like a dead animal. The rather tall man kneels down beside Andros and your slightly confused as he rolls the Squire onto his back before jabbing his fingers into tops of his shoulders.

Andros lets out one last shudder then falls back gasping for air, with that done the man sits back on his haunches waiting.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile

((Um, can someone give me a short recap on what's happening?))

Wait to be introduced to game.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Um, can someone give me a short recap on what's happening?))

Wait to be introduced to game.

You don't need to be introduced :) just go back and read Turn 0, everything else so far (which is very little) has been either shopping or Errol's duel with a Knight.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"What's this then? He's fainted. He'll be fine, obviously."

Annoyed at their quite-unprofessional behavior, Alistair leaves, sighing. He decides to head over to his secondary god's temple, see if they might bless some of his weapons. He could pray later.

See above?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Annoyed at their quite-unprofessional behavior, Alistair leaves, sighing. He decides to head over to his secondary god's temple, see if they might bless some of his weapons. He could pray later.

See above?

There are no other temples, there are three shrines built inside the base of the tower.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile

((Ah, alright))

"Alright. Hello fellows. I am Skaros of the Rukk.  I am a Squire of the Harbingers. I'll meet up with you later. I need some weapons."

Go to smithies and look for some weapons, preferably a dagger or a crossbow.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Annoyed at their quite-unprofessional behavior, Alistair leaves, sighing. He decides to head over to his secondary god's shrine, see if they might bless some of his weapons. He could pray later.

See above?

There are no other temples, there are three shrines built inside the base of the tower.

I didn't say anything about temples, as you can see.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6