Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Beginner cooking suggestions.  (Read 6231 times)

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner cooking suggestions.
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2013, 05:51:05 pm »

Yeah, I'd not recommend pure butter for anything that's gonna get any significant amount of heat under it, 'cause it'll burn in a flash. Thankfully, adding almost any amount of olive oil will stop that, at least for a while.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2013, 05:56:21 pm »

Last time I used olive oil for an omelette, it flavored the egg. Not doing that again.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2013, 06:03:46 pm »

Butter - best for pan frying anything leaving a cream taste to the food, saturated fats

Lard - pure animal fat usually pork or cow best for baking, saturated fats

Margarine - alternative to butter made of solidified oils, good for pan frying, made up of hydrogenized fat

oil - a lot healthier alternative to butter and lard but very limited in cooking styles (frying styles), peanut oil is the worst while olive oil is the healthiest.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2013, 07:07:16 pm »

If you're using a teflon frying pan, which you should be, this is how all that works out:

Butter - spreads evenly
Lard - nobody uses lard for frying
Bacon fat - spreads evenly, crackles dangerously
Margarine - beads up in the edge of the pan
Oil - beads up in the edge of the pan
Cooking Spray - beads up in the edge of the pan

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2013, 08:02:34 pm »

theres a flavor difference between vegetable oil cooked and butter cooked eggs? are you guys sure its not just the taste of butter thats the difference?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2013, 09:21:48 pm »

theres a flavor difference between vegetable oil cooked and butter cooked eggs? are you guys sure its not just the taste of butter thats the difference?
You will burn in veggie oil hell for your sins against butter.

Lard - nobody uses lard for frying
And the last circle of hell is reserved for lard haters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2013, 09:39:32 pm »

Lard is a last resort fat. When you really need to thicken something's consistency for proper baking, it's shortening time. Avoid it otherwise.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2013, 09:40:23 pm »

You will burn in veggie oil hell for your sins against butter.

And the last circle of hell is reserved for lard haters.

yes, but you'll go to normal hell (or heaven if you've been good) earlier than i do since you eat so much butter and it aint good for your heart.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2013, 08:38:21 am »

And then excercising was born

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2013, 08:44:08 am »

ahh but you see my friend, some kinds of fat are permanent and cannot be gotten rid of by merely exercising.

i also dont think exercising is that common btw...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2013, 10:04:33 am »

ahh but you see my friend, some kinds of fat are permanent and cannot be gotten rid of by merely exercising.

Wat.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2013, 10:07:22 am »

So many things wrong in this post. *eyetwitch*
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2013, 11:07:05 am »

*duplicate post, please remove
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 11:14:46 am by Catsup »

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2013, 11:07:37 am »

*sigh...i was talking specifically about trans fats and cholesterol

and exercise rate varies with lifestyle and age, you may be exercising and have a high metabolic rate that can handle butter now, but most ppl tend to lose both those traits as they get older, while lifestyles such as types of meals they eat continue without changing.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2013, 11:38:57 am »

IIRC, lard is actually BETTER for you than other fats, because you don't use nearly as much to cook with, plus it is all-natural and relatively unprocessed. Still not GOOD for you, but no fats are really great unless you look at hydrogenated/unhydrogenated oils, which have their own issues.

BUT...

I'm pretty sure I have ADD or ADHD, undiagnosed because the doctor I had didn't like how often it was being diagnosed back then, and I'm a chef by trade. Don't have a degree (yet), but I'm reasonably experienced without it. Been working in the kitchen since I was old enough to push a chair up to the counter and demand to crack eggs, then worked in a small scale as a short order cook for a retirement village, then in the military as a cook preparing massive quantities, and now as a prep/line cook for a restaurant near me.

As a short order cook, you have 5-6 orders going at once, and are bouncing back and forth through them making sure they are all right, cooked correctly, and taste perfect. Large quantities sit on a line for an hour or two and have to be backed up constantly, while my current job I have 10-20 products I have to make in 8 hours, so I will usually have soups, entrees, prep for dinner and lunch, plus food for the employee cafe going all at once, and I'm constantly busy watching everything and trying to be sure I have everything I need.

As for at home, get everything you need for a recipe ready before you even start heating a pan. Separate the ingredients out into bowls, grouped by steps. Only after your prep is done should you start cooking anything, this helps ensure you aren't leaving things to burn while distracted by prep work. Stay by the stove (10 minutes isn't that hard to manage, especially when you use a timer and have a book on hand) and don't wander around the house. If you really can't pay attention, get a slow cooker. Seriously, that thing is AWESOME. Throw a good roast in a hot pan, sear it on all sides, toss it in the slow cooker with celery, carrot, onion, and a bit of salt and pepper, then fill the slow cooker with water to cover everything without spilling. Put the lid on, set it to low heat, and go about your day. 4-8 hours later, pull the meat and veggies out, thicken the liquid with a 50/50 flour/water mix or cornstarch slurry, and heat until slightly thickened. Instant, delicious gravy.

All you have to do is find a recipe, have the materials, and have the time to do it and you can be a cook. Doesn't matter if you have ADHD, ADD, ODD, or any of those other acronyms, anyone CAN cook, they just have to practice.

(Oh, and for eggs? Check the pan with a bit of water, when the water dances around on the surface its hot enough to cook on. Don't turn your stove top on high, on a dial with 8 settings you should have it on a 6. Butter is your friend, and a non-stick pan helps a ton too.)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5