Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Beginner cooking suggestions.  (Read 6241 times)

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner cooking suggestions.
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 10:38:46 pm »

what kind of eggs were you making, like what cooking method. And im assuming you were making a type of cold pasta, if so then i cant help you there, i never tried that myself and wouldnt know how to do it.

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 11:52:19 pm »

what kind of eggs were you making, like what cooking method. And im assuming you were making a type of cold pasta, if so then i cant help you there, i never tried that myself and wouldnt know how to do it.

Scrambled eggs. They burnt as soon as they hit the pan.
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 12:57:29 am »

Scrambled eggs. They burnt as soon as they hit the pan.

you did remember to add vegetable oil right? i mean before adding the eggs

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 01:24:42 am »

No... No I did not.
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 03:09:48 am »

General rule; anything solid you put in a pan, add oil first.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 03:34:30 am »

And flick water onto the surface first to see how hot it is.  Sounds like you got the pan a bit too high.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 05:00:23 am »

Meh, as long as oil is not smoking the pan isn't hot enough to completely ruin the eggs. And yeah, be really careful about putting oil (or even better, lard) in your pans before putting them the stove, or you'll wind up ruining them and food will stick to them and burn every time. You really don't want to be in a position where you have to scrape your pans with a fork.

Anyway, being hungry when you're cooking is indeed good advice, because you'll pay attention to the food that way.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 06:07:57 am »

Oh my god. You're making scrambled eggs on veggie oil. That ruins the taste completely!
Butter, or homemade lard is the only way to go.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 07:34:57 am »

Oh my god. You're making scrambled eggs on veggie oil. That ruins the taste completely!
Butter, or homemade lard is the only way to go.

THIS.
I was already affronted at the sight of OIL, but Il Palazzo delivered my answer perfectly.
Butter for the butter god!
If you want to eat tasty, melt that butter!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 10:39:52 am »

Being good at cooking is just experience. Start making all your meals from scratch, simple ones at first, and get a beginner's cookbook if you're totally lost or stuck for ideas. Basic skills, timing and choosing ingredients really just improves once you've done it a lot.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 10:56:05 am »

Butter is good. Oil works well and is healthier, in general, but changes the flavor a bit. I like using nut oils, since their flavor can add a lot to a dish. Almond and Walnut mostly, with Walnut more for meat dishes and Almond for everything else.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 10:58:38 am »

I dunno about oil being healthy for frying. It has a fairly low smoke point, at which it starts transmuting into carcinogenic stuff. Lard is a lot more heat resistant.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2013, 11:03:49 am »

I dunno about oil being healthy for frying. It has a fairly low smoke point, at which it starts transmuting into carcinogenic stuff. Lard is a lot more heat resistant.

Funnily enough, lard has a lower smoke point than most oils used for frying. You can get away with using most things in a shallow or stir fry, but for deep frying it's fine to just use vegetable oil. Though, lard is tastier.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2013, 11:40:50 am »

My advice is to play with your food. When you're cooking pasta, pull a piece out every few minutes and test it. When you're cooking something in a pan or pot, stir it. Observe how it changes the longer it cooks at different temperatures.

Now, I've been yelled at by cooks before for playing with my food too much. There can be consequences. Opening an oven every 10 minutes lets all the heat out and can impact baking, making stuff collapse. Stirring the shit out of something, while it can prevent it from burning or sticking, introduces a lot of air into the product. For whip cream or a cream sauce, that's fine. For oil based sauces, that's kind of a nono.

That said, you can't know about the effects of making things hot until you experiment. Since you're not cooking for a job (where I learned), you have to mess with your food a lot to learn the rules of heat, flavors and moving food around the pan.

Bottomline though, to me, a terrible cook is someone who starts food and then walks away from it. While that doesn't necessarily apply to stuff like baking...if you're sauteing, grilling or making a sauce, you stand by that food and you pay it the attention it deserves. Short of a microwave or baking, there is no such thing as fire and forget cooking.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 11:43:02 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2013, 11:48:44 am »

bacon grease and eggs
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5