Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 302752 times)

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #4035 on: October 07, 2014, 07:55:54 am »

I also get what you are saying. Well, I think so, at least.

In this particular case I think you have a choice on whether to be offended or not. Well, I hope so. As you say, it is open to interpretation. The sensible thing seems to be to take that interpretation as working hypothesis which makes sense and doesn't offend you, then adjust when additional facts come in. This way you get to close in on the truth while spending minimal energy on being offended. As an additional bonus you are probably more open to clarifications that way, if any manage to come around.
Taste my Paci-Fist

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: October 07, 2014, 08:30:08 am »

I think this controversy would be better with the name #NotAllGamers at this point.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: October 07, 2014, 08:35:52 am »

Because the arcticle about the "death of gamers" was discussed a few post above yours and I thought you posted yet another article about it.

Your article seems written by someone shell-shocked by trolls, but it's not all bad. Funny that by calling tech support you cost them more money than they earned, but he doesn't understand PR. Any wise buisnessman in the indie side should open two game front :  one proclaiming they support for #gamergate, and one franticly against. Free money, and the games can be as bad as you want. 
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: October 07, 2014, 08:48:17 am »

I'll only be happy when Kotaku close.
Now we can all agree on something.

EDIT:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/1/6880061/shadow-mordor-kissing-design
So why is this in this thread? As far as I can tell this clickbait article is about how Shadow of Mordor was too serious to properly integrate the tutorial into the plot and that this somehow ruined the player's emotional connection to their character's wife. There was also something about the animations and Wii Tennis.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 09:03:54 am by NobodyPro »

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: October 07, 2014, 09:01:28 am »

I also get what you are saying. Well, I think so, at least.

In this particular case I think you have a choice on whether to be offended or not. Well, I hope so. As you say, it is open to interpretation. The sensible thing seems to be to take that interpretation as working hypothesis which makes sense and doesn't offend you, then adjust when additional facts come in. This way you get to close in on the truth while spending minimal energy on being offended. As an additional bonus you are probably more open to clarifications that way, if any manage to come around.

Yeah, it's not like i'm gonna dance around on this or even comment below the post, I dont care about the guy either way. It just reads incredibly hostile and definetely catched me on the wrong foot. Then again, the way a lot of people talk about this stuff isnt exactly nice.

About Kotaku. I was extremely skeptical of most sites like this anyway. But there are quite a lot of them that could vanish as far as I'm concerned. The recent Shadow of Mordor-Preview stuff, and the attitudes of authors on some major review sites just make me want to ignore them. I cant stand the fact that you have to double, and triplecheck everything they write these days, lest you get wrong information. Or even better, if you get insulted and scoffed at with every third article.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: October 07, 2014, 09:23:32 am »

I think this controversy would be better with the name #NotAllGamers at this point.
A thousand times, this. It's obvious that there are people out there who are the assholes people are lumping all gamers in with. Nerd culture is no longer so vulnerable that you need to adopt a herd mentality - you don't need to defend those people in order to defend yourself. Instead of attacking the people who're hurting you because they've been made overly defensive and angry by the kinds of people who post death threats, take their side against the people who're making your community look like a bunch of entitled shitheads. Explicitly say to journalists or developers or whoever, "Hey, no, I know you're upset, and that's pretty fucking understandable, but painting the whole community with that brush is not cool. Not all of us are like that," and publicly attack the villains you insist are the minority in order to back up that point.

For as long as this is about gamers vs any outsider group, gamers are going to lose in everyone's eyes but their own. It's got nothing to do with being an oppressed subculture - it's got everything to do with the assholes you're letting speak for you.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: October 07, 2014, 09:32:45 am »

No, thanks. They got themselves into a mess by tarring all sorts of people with the same brush, they can dig themselves out. Especially when they did it for televangelising, like Anita.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: October 07, 2014, 09:35:02 am »

So the aim is to be smug instead of making the world a better place. That seems totally sensible.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: October 07, 2014, 09:41:01 am »

Wait, hang on. I thought this was about corruption in video game journalism, not about a completely above-board Youtube series that lacked much in the way of critical thought.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #4044 on: October 07, 2014, 09:47:40 am »

A thousand times, this. It's obvious that there are people out there who are the assholes people are lumping all gamers in with. Nerd culture is no longer so vulnerable that you need to adopt a herd mentality - you don't need to defend those people in order to defend yourself. Instead of attacking the people who're hurting you because they've been made overly defensive and angry by the kinds of people who post death threats, take their side against the people who're making your community look like a bunch of entitled shitheads. Explicitly say to journalists or developers or whoever, "Hey, no, I know you're upset, and that's pretty fucking understandable, but painting the whole community with that brush is not cool. Not all of us are like that," and publicly attack the villains you insist are the minority in order to back up that point.

For as long as this is about gamers vs any outsider group, gamers are going to lose in everyone's eyes but their own. It's got nothing to do with being an oppressed subculture - it's got everything to do with the assholes you're letting speak for you.

People are saying that. I was comparing the current movement to #NotAllMen, not suggesting a change in their arguments.

Instead of showing any interest in solving the obvious problems in gaming communities (that gamers have complained about for years, but they appear to have forgotten now), people's first response is "Woah, you're not calling me that, right? I don't even hang out on any of the same boards as those guys. I don't even play any of the same games as those guys. In fact, I've never seen anyone act like that. Those problems probably aren't real." The problems are not going to be solved if people's first response to them is to back away as rapidly as possible.

It definitely doesn't help that there are tons of different arguments flying around now. Is this about sexism, media corruption, and toxic gaming communities now? I feel like people are pulling a lot of "I disagree with X thing you said so I disagree with all things you say forever."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: October 07, 2014, 09:51:40 am »

Ah, okay, then I think I misunderstood the reference and may nevertheless gotten the point - because yeah, "I'm not a part of the problem" does not equate to "There is no problem". When somebody incorrectly groups you in with legitimate assholes, the correct response is not to become an asshole - it's to distance yourself from them. Part of that is agreeing that, "Hey, these guys are actually assholes! We should call them out on that, instead of sweeping it under the rug in order to maintain a sense of solidarity!"

And, yeah, the whole thing is this big amorphous murk. That needs to stop.

EDIT: And to be clear, deciding that overly broad generalizations are an issue worth fighting over, while death threats, stalking, and widespread hatred from the people whose side you're taking is not really a big deal, then the generalization wasn't as overly broad as you thought it was.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 09:57:28 am by Bauglir »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: October 07, 2014, 09:59:24 am »

So if somebody claims that blacks are a bunch of criminals, you're supposed to take their side but then try to steer it towards claim that only some blacks are criminals? I'm sorry, but the only proper response to bigots is telling them to fuck off.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: October 07, 2014, 10:12:19 am »

Yeah, absolutely, you tell them where they done fucked up. But, if you want analogies, we're at the point where you're saying a bigot who actually did get mugged by a black guy shouldn't have reported it to the police because of the damage an investigation could do to the local black community. Because they deserved to be mugged for being a bigot, apparently.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: October 07, 2014, 10:21:39 am »

They deserve legal protection, but they don't deserve any sympathy.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: October 07, 2014, 10:32:34 am »

Ugh, I don't like it when people use "Entitled" to describe gamers because it is far more used as an excuse for sloppy game design or simply used against someone who demands a better game.

"This game should work on launch": Entitled
"There shouldn't be on disk DLC": Entitled

Is what I hope people aren't referring to.

Then again... ANYTIME someone believes they are deserving of better treatment whether deserved or ill-deserved they are entitled.

Which for a topic on feminism, actually is important.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 10:34:36 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 277