Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303436 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #2940 on: June 20, 2014, 10:14:42 pm »

Except that if you're not happy about it then people start yelling at you for knocking their progress.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #2941 on: June 20, 2014, 10:17:44 pm »

Except that if you're not happy about it then people start yelling at you for knocking their progress.

Those heartless monsters.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #2942 on: June 20, 2014, 11:04:47 pm »

"Trinity Syndrome"? Why of all characters would you name this phenomena after her? She remains relevant throughout the movie and does plenty to advance the plot, and she's not "useless" in the climax at all. Is it because Neo prevents her from falling off a building at one point? That was far from a damsel in distress situation, and even if it was there's another scene where she saves Neo. She's absent for the final scene, sure, but that's because Neo was left behind, not because she was incapacitated in some way.

Yes, there needs to be a lot more Strong Female Characters in film. But you just make yourself look like an asshole when you set such unrealistic standards for what's acceptable that Trinity can't pass your test.

Or maybe she meant the sequels but who cares about those amirite
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: June 20, 2014, 11:10:12 pm »

"Trinity Syndrome"? Why of all characters would you name this phenomena after her? She remains relevant throughout the movie and does plenty to advance the plot, and she's not "useless" in the climax at all. Is it because Neo prevents her from falling off a building at one point? That was far from a damsel in distress situation, and even if it was there's another scene where she saves Neo. She's absent for the final scene, sure, but that's because Neo was left behind, not because she was incapacitated in some way.

Yes, there needs to be a lot more Strong Female Characters in film. But you just make yourself look like an asshole when you set such unrealistic standards for what's acceptable that Trinity can't pass your test.

Or maybe she meant the sequels but who cares about those amirite

Refresh my memory, as I haven't seen the Matrix in a long time.

What does she do to advance the plot?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2944 on: June 20, 2014, 11:18:29 pm »

Refresh my memory, as I haven't seen the Matrix in a long time.

What does she do to advance the plot?
Shoot people. :P
You know, like everyone else who's important. It's an action movie, none of the characters are particularly deep. And she's no less deep than the male ones.

Trinity Syndrome really applies more to Morpheus than it does to her. I haven't seen How To Train Your Dragon 2, but according to the description of Valka in that article he follows the exact same pattern as she does (becoming useless at the climax so the hero can excel).
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: June 21, 2014, 08:34:10 am »

Right, been away a bit. Going to back a little bit here;
That is true for imaginary settings like Skyrim and Mass Effect. But settings based on real world places/times/whatever else need to have some basic elements in order to identify as such. And so far, the criminal world being very much a male only thing (barring some exceptions, but those are a minority and can be represented as such) you can expect the minority to be poorly treated.

GTA isn't a documentary. No version of it makes a serious attempt at realism. You wouldn't want to in that sort of game, as heavy realism would make the whole thing unattractive.

Realism isn't a defence for sexism unless you are actually building a simulation of some scenario that heavily features sexism, where I'd hope the decision to include sexism would be a serious and deliberate one.

The other substantive artistic reason for including extensive sexism would be that it's central to the story, but I can think of few games where that's true. It's the background radiation, not the core of the narrative. It's just assumed and present because it's what people (or at least some people, seemingly including developers) expect.

There is no real reason you couldn't have a GTA that isn't perfectly egalitarian when it comes to gender. The only argument against it is that it doesn't reflect real life, but then GTA doesn't reflect real life anyway.

As to the broader argument about whether they are problematic for being sexualised or just not fleshed out, it's a bit more subtle.

For starters, sexualisation is problematic in itself. If you check the studies she links to or any number of others (just an example search, might need to play with terms) there are harmful effects associated with the sexualisation of women in general and with sexualisation in video games in particular.

Now the APA and other organisations use sexualisation as something that is inherently unhealthy, contrasted with healthy sexuality. Looking at this report they have four elements of sexualisation;
1) a person’s value comes only from his or her sexual appeal or behavior, to the exclusion of other characteristics;

2) a person is held to a standard that equates physical attractiveness (narrowly defined) with being sexy;

3) a person is sexually objectified — that is, made into a thing for others’ sexual use, rather than seen as a person with the capacity for independent action and decision making; and/or

4) sexuality is inappropriately imposed upon a person.
Now 2 is hard to assess in terms of games. It's problematic when applied to real people, but that sort of sexualisation would have to be a design choice to depict in games. That said, games can (and usually do) re-enforce such narrow standards of attractiveness with the demand that near every female character fit those standards (think games that let you have a fat or ugly male character but the female characters are all thin or otherwise more conventionally attractive, even when non-human). And number 4 is almost universally recognised as horrible when it comes to sexualisation of minors and similar.

But 1 and 3 pretty well fit what is being talked about here. The idea of characters who only exist to be a sexual ornament or toy in games is far too widely accepted and I doubt anyone has to struggle to think of examples.

My previous example of Mass Effect as a game that (generally) avoided sexualisation was to show characters who can be sexy and sexual without being sexualised. They have value outside their sex appeal and show agency when it comes to sexual acts and decision making. So it's not like you are contrasting heavily sexualised games and completely sexless ones when talking about this. Games don't have to abandon sex appeal or even gratuitous sex entirely, just avoid gratuitous sexualisation.

Now usually the difference between a sexualised character and a healthy, sexual, sexy character is just in how well they are fleshed out and given agency in the context of their world, as opposed to just being there for the one purpose. And yes, most characters will never be that well fleshed out (even if the requirements aren't exactly high here, IMO). But in that case I'd say it's a good argument for avoiding gratuitous sexualisation where possible.

Even more illustrative, that APA definition fits for both genders. Look at number 3. I can't think of any games off the top of my head where there are sexually objectified men in that sense, but more than enough where women are objectified in that manner. The others may apply on occasion, but generally to a lesser degree than to women, and there are far more counter-examples where they don't apply for men than there are for women.
I'm not saying sexism is OK, I'm just saying you cannot expect a sudden change from the 'women are a thing to be rescued' to 'Women are portrayed just as well as men and just as frequently'
See, I'm not actually sure why this is impossible.

OK, if you are looking at historical trends and entrenched attitudes, then yes it's not going to happen. But there is nothing so drastic about either writing women or depicting them in such ways that it needs to be approached in an incrementalist manner. It's not like there are thousands of writers out there writing books and other media where women are leads or otherwise depicted well. It's not like they have to retool studios and retrain animators and design teams. It's a matter of bringing in writers with certain outlooks and ability, and both of those things are in abundance elsewhere.

Which is to say, the incremental steps seem more like reluctance to change, or at least an inability to understand the criticisms than genuine attempts to improve matters. And I'd say that criticism is entirely valid there.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: June 21, 2014, 01:32:33 pm »

For GTA, I think only 3 really applies.

Since frankly the NPCs in question have no value looks or otherwise. (don't counter this... everyone has no value in their looks)

I can't think of any games off the top of my head where there are sexually objectified men in that sense

I'll help with that: Ultima 7, Dragon Age origins, and The Sims 2-3.

But I will say this... In those cases it is because of the homosexual option (except 2 and 3 of The sims)... and Dragon Age for just being generally TERRIBLE characterization.

rather than seen as a person with the capacity for independent action and decision making

Is the WEAKEST part of the definition to the point where it just outright negates it for most examples. It needs quite a bit of touch up.

Then again this is why I think "objectification" should just be stricken out altogether.

Afterall Road to Hell has women acting according to their free will... and I'd say it counts for 3... except they don't apply by definition because they offer you sex on the spot willingly. Their value doesn't come from their appearance but rather from their stat bonus. #2 doesn't apply... and #4 also is a bit odd to apply.

But then again the vagueness is intentional. The APA want to cast a wide net so they can pick and chose, that and it isn't a "test" it is just them showing the forms it takes. So I am taking it too literally.

----

But I will state that in Heavy Rain...

The game actually did pretty well in terms of sexualization up until the stupid strip tease section. I mean, I accept the naked shower scene as tasteful (argue if you want)...

But when she suddenly had to do a sexy strip dance I just groaned on and on and didn't know what they were thinking (especially since it was so unsexy...). Then again she was the worst of the three protagonists anyway with the least reason to be involved.

----

The ONLY point of major contension I have with you Palch that isn't just nit picking and saying "I feel like this could be argued better, but I agree with the sentiment" is saying "Well it isn't a documentary"

I don't feel like a game either MUST chose between fantasy and realism. That it either must be very realistic and be going for near documentary... or it must be considered complete fantasy.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 03:13:28 pm by Neonivek »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: June 21, 2014, 04:03:53 pm »

For GTA, I think only 3 really applies.

Since frankly the NPCs in question have no value looks or otherwise. (don't counter this... everyone has no value in their looks)
Please, elaborate what you mean by that. People place no value in their own looks? That's false. There's no inherent value in someone's appearance? That's also somewhat false, and I get what you're trying to say, but you're wrong. Taking care of your own appearance and pride in it(I don't mean as in body type or facial symmetry or any of that) is an important part of a healthy life and good self-esteem.

I can't think of any games off the top of my head where there are sexually objectified men in that sense

I'll help with that: Ultima 7, Dragon Age origins, and The Sims 2-3.

But I will say this... In those cases it is because of the homosexual option (except 2 and 3 of The sims)... and Dragon Age for just being generally TERRIBLE characterization.
See, now you're offending me personally by saying that homosexuality means someone is sexually objectified. Obviously, no one can like their own gender genuinely, without the need for sex. Unless you, somehow, managed to place that into a form I misinterpreted(characterization is debatable for Dragon Age, and I'm replaying it at the moment, so I'll see for myself).

rather than seen as a person with the capacity for independent action and decision making

Is the WEAKEST part of the definition to the point where it just outright negates it for most examples. It needs quite a bit of touch up.

Then again this is why I think "objectification" should just be stricken out altogether.

Afterall Road to Hell has women acting according to their free will... and I'd say it counts for 3... except they don't apply by definition because they offer you sex on the spot willingly. Their value doesn't come from their appearance but rather from their stat bonus. #2 doesn't apply... and #4 also is a bit odd to apply.

But then again the vagueness is intentional. The APA want to cast a wide net so they can pick and chose, that and it isn't a "test" it is just them showing the forms it takes. So I am taking it too literally.
I think you're A. Trying to misinterpret the definition, B. mistaken in thinking that they have to fulfill all the criteria to be sexually objectified, and C. Misunderstanding the definition of the definition, for #3, purposefully.
The ONLY point of major contension I have with you Palch that isn't just nit picking and saying "I feel like this could be argued better, but I agree with the sentiment" is saying "Well it isn't a documentary"

I don't feel like a game either MUST chose between fantasy and realism. That it either must be very realistic and be going for near documentary... or it must be considered complete fantasy.
Okay, but why is sexism one of the points that has to be realism? Why can't it be equal, and thus in the fantasy section? What would be wrong with that? Would it really fucking break the willing suspension of disbelief for you if there was an equal ratio of women to men? Seriously, why not?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: June 21, 2014, 04:08:25 pm »

Actually, thinking now, DA:O does count in that there are male prostitutes who appear for no other reason. Not as bad as many other examples, but still an example. Although given you mention homosexuality I'm not quite sure if that's what you mean...

As for the rest, basically what Rolepgeek said. Especially the last bit.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: June 21, 2014, 04:26:56 pm »

Please, elaborate what you mean by that. People place no value in their own looks? That's false

The NPCs have no inherent value in their looks as far as the game is concerned... because NPCs have no value. They are not judged by their looks as far as the narrative or onscreen importance is concerned.

If they have any sort of importance in their looks, it is you projecting it onto them.

See, now you're offending me personally by saying that homosexuality means someone is sexually objectified.

In ultima 7 it was still part of the "ha ha, he is gay" era. In Dragon Age Origins it is the prostitute and the fact that the homosexual encounter is STILL part of the "ha ha, he is gay" AND the fact that you can get into his pants by just giving him a lot of gifts (did I ever tell you I think the characterization in DA:O is garbage outside individual conversations?).

While The Sims 2 and 3 pretty much allows you to sexualize anyone with very little to characterize their like or dislike of you except as a stat. So you can smoze or even mind control your way into anyone's pants. With them essentially being dolls.

The reason why I mention "gay" is because... in this case it is men being sexual for the sake of other men. Which might be important to the discussion one way or another.

I think you're A. Trying to misinterpret the definition, B. mistaken in thinking that they have to fulfill all the criteria to be sexually objectified, and C. Misunderstanding the definition of the definition, for #3, purposefully

I just have to apply the definitions literally to have them be problematic.

Since if I went by the strict definition... Road to Hell counts as "progressive" because the women aren't judged by their looks, they have autonomy, you don't use them, nor does the game or narrative treat them as an object... but dear goodness in reality do you need a shower after playing the game.

It is why "Objectify" is a problematic term. Since "Do you want to do this?" and them going "yes" instantly means it isn't objectification. Since they expressed a will of their own AND people do not ask objects if they wish to do anything.

If Prostitutes in GTA weren't pretty much robots, they could escape that definition.

Okay, but why is sexism one of the points that has to be realism? Why can't it be equal, and thus in the fantasy section? What would be wrong with that? Would it really fucking break the willing suspension of disbelief for you if there was an equal ratio of women to men? Seriously, why not?

Well, A) there will never be an equal ratio because some genres MUST skew, especially for demographics (and this goes both ways, Dating Sims I believe Skew towards females... though oddly enough for multiple reasons, Male perversion and Female projection).

But what I am saying is, that you cannot go "well there being no female officers in this army is bad because this isn't a documentary".

As for "would it break the willing suspension of disbelief" probably not. There are plenty of games that takes place during WW2 with oddly all female super elite units with jetpacks (that was a weird game... mostly because of its very clean depiction of Germany and its "buddy buddy" depiction of Japan and Germany).

Yet I don't think a game is sexist just because it wants to uphold some aspects of realism and not others. MIND YOU there were female soldiers in WW1 and WW2. There were competent generals and Swordsmen in medieval times.

This also goes both ways, there is a lot of sexism not shown for the sake of taste.

It has nothing to do with sexism in my mind... Just the idea that games must chose either ultra realism or complete fantasy to fulfill an outside agenda that has nothing to do with the game or its content... is not something I agree with. Or rather the argument that "This game isn't completely realistic, so it is completely at fault for whatever realism it tries to uphold" is something I consider to be a false.

Whether or not it is respectful with such is another question.

Mind you I think it is better we just consider this my opinion as I don't quite have more then that on the topic. Though feel free to have last words.

---

As for the "Money aspect" of videogames overthrowing arguments. Remember that some forms of feminism completely side with economics. They do not even attempt to state that companies should stop trying to make money off of exploitation mostly because they are trying to marry the idea of female equality and economics and never ever moralize issues.

The major argument they make is that diversifying the media and including women in it will, over time at least, lead to greater profitability. In the same way that allowing women into the workforce and allowing women to take political action did as well.

As well how much certain forms of feminism disagree with sexualisation differs as well. Some say that women are not adverse to sexualization and even they appreciate strong sexual protagonists and that the adverseness to it harkens back to the idea of female purity. While others likewise acknowledge that women like sexy women but say it is completely created because a woman's choices are informed by how society says they need to please other men.

Isn't feminism great? People treat it like a single unifying force but really it is just a whole spectrum. Heck even "Third wave" isn't accurate.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 11:58:27 pm by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: June 24, 2014, 12:05:08 am »

Anyway as far as examples and Anita goes.

The very first example she gives I have trouble with not because the example is bad, indeed it is a good one showing advertisers blatantly using sex to sell videogames, but because of just ONE comment.

"You see a woman and the videogame side by side, saying that she is a toy to be played with"

Which is honestly, not a viewpoint I agree with and isn't something explicitly said by her example. It isn't a jump in logic I can accept.

On its own the example is great and highlights a rather large problem (which is decreasing... mostly because booth babes are no longer allowed at E3 and advertisers do not use them as much when advertising videogames because magazines are starting to be phased out. So not for taste). As an example of "Cross-association" it fails, it only works if you already accepted her premise... perhaps on a cross association of games and feeling of sensuality (because that was the point), but not in the "women seen with object, thus woman is object".

What are your views on it? I know a lot of people already agree with "cross-association"

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: June 24, 2014, 07:02:21 am »

I think you don't understand how advertisements work, Neon.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: June 24, 2014, 07:05:48 am »

I think you don't understand how advertisements work, Neon.

Let me guess...

The point of the advertisement was to try to associate the product with the hot woman. To turn the person who was looking at it on and thus associate that product with a hot woman?

Or was it more sophisticated then "Let me show you this device being desirable by showing hot barely clothed women next to it"?

Unless it is the whole "Take the girl for a ride" people say about the Car models... of which case, I never saw it. The most I saw was "If you buy this car, maybe you can attract a woman as hot as this one", but never "Ohh this woman is like a car, you can drive her around"
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 07:11:18 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: June 24, 2014, 09:53:49 am »

^ Pretty much this. If you're going to make a case in a specific situation, you need to show that it's a generally sensible thing to say. Like, if you show a stylish good looking woman along with a bottle of expensive scotch, are you saying to men that women are nothing more than a consumable to be drunk and discarded like a bottle of scotch? Or that the scotch is classy / sexy, and women will be attracted to you if you drink it?

It's equally, if not more, plausible that the male consumer is meant to self-associate with the product: sexy women love this game, if you play the game, sexy women will love you.

Of course, using sexy female models to sell things is problematic for all sorts of other reasons - such as it sends the message that the product is for (straight) men, and women can and should only have a passive interest -  it's just the particular sound-bite Anita uses to highlight it is by itself completely ridiculous, but she can't help her love of these pop-psychology sound-bites.

That's the problem i noticed in her first Damsel in Distress video. It's clear from multiple examples in that video that her writing process starts with her conclusion, which is some snappy-sounding pop psychology sound-bite, and only after that, she hunts around for some example to fit the bill.

===

There's a similar situation in marketing, often expensive or classy things are superimposed with the product you're trying to sell. The idea is (and it works) is that the positive qualities associated with the expensive item rub off on the item you're trying to market. For example, I read about one variety of wine some company was trying to sell and not succeeding, then they launched an add campaign showing Lear Jets, Yachts etc and expensive items along side the wine, sales skyrocketed.

I doubt anyone would interpret that as saying expensive items like Lear Jets are just like a bottle of wine to be drunk and discarded. And it's fundamentally the exact same marketing strategy as showing a physically appealing model alongside your product.

===

I also kind of think some of her interpretations require you to be "up" with feminist theory to some degree, which is fine in itself, but then she immediately assumes that the average consumer of that media is being "reinforced" in that interpretation. That's questionable though, if the average consumer has a differing interpretation to begin with.

For example, "save the princess" is questionable in that it might turn off female viewers who don't see women empowered, i can fully agree with that. break it down for the reason of being more inclusive.

But i really don't agree with her claims that the trope reinforces some sort of ownership claim of men over women. You also have games where you save other things, save the world, save the tribe, save the city, etc. In every "save the ... X" scenario, the thing to be saved is judged to be of greater importance than the life of the protagonist, thus worth dying for. So, it's a bit of a jump to say that as soon as the entity to be saved is a woman that you're automatically saying the woman is less important than the protagonist.

None of these scenarios makes me feel a sense of "ownership" of the thing being saved, or belittle the "saved" thing in the slightest. "My country" is not a claim of personal ownership, anymore than is "my wife" or "my husband": it's a claim of relations, not ownership. In all these cases, an important thing is to be saved, so important that it justifies the "almost certain death" the protagonist faces. Who or what you are saving is more important than life itself.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 10:33:12 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: June 24, 2014, 10:22:06 am »

That's the problem i noticed in her first Damsel in Distress video. It's clear from multiple examples in that video that her writing process starts with her conclusion, which is some snappy-sounding pop psychology sound-bite, and only after that, she hunts around for some example to fit the bill.

That could be it. It would explain why she often has trouble sort of leading us on the path of either well highlighting the issues or explaining why these are bad.

I mean the one thing I felt that was missing from her discussion was in highlighting the difference between male and female damsels. Showing that even when the roles are reversed that male damsels still have an expectancy to help or aid directly in some way, something that is only starting to change now.

It is rare I see a male damsel who does nothing once he is saved. While female damsels, outside giving you an item, are usually happy sitting on the sidelines.

But that is just me.

Instead we get the viewpoint of female damsels versus Male heroes. Which isn't exactly a fair comparison unless we also brought in female heroes who also get captured. This is because she isn't really trying to argue anything she is just getting the examples out of the way.

Which often bugs me, because when you compare and contrast if you aren't doing it to equivocal things, you need to say so. She never acknowledges this so it essentially goes "Well male protagonists can punch their way out of cages, why can't female damsels?"

Then again I think I am completely missing the point... because I THINK she defines Damsel as not a "Person who has their autonomy taken away" but rather as a type of character. Yet I am unsure of this.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 10:30:19 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 277