Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303406 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #2925 on: June 19, 2014, 04:37:24 pm »

Mind you that is what you take away from it Sheb

Anita often gives off the impression that she is against it wholesale (as in, in any form)... and heck I am not even entirely convinced she is not.

The last time she brought in numbers in the last video of Damsel to show how much of a Parody Cake (sort of) a lot of indie games were because of how much those games came in bulk. So she was more using it as an example of how shallow the parody was and how it was more of an homage.

Not that this actually matters too much. A lot of people hold beliefs that certain things should just never appear in certain forms of media. Quite a few people, for example, believe that shows for children shouldn't feature any violence whatsoever and that films for teens shouldn't glorify sex. So long as they make a good argument is all that matters.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 04:52:16 pm by Neonivek »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: June 19, 2014, 05:04:00 pm »

They are honestly surprised about this in "How To Train Your Dragon"?

The SAME series where they built up how great and strong a Warrior Astrid was, how her entire life is dedicated to being a strong warrior, and how much of a big deal it all ways.

Just for her ONLY contribution to the climax being a "Buck up love interest" and then proceed to be useless contributing absolutely nothing and needing to be saved? Trust me the Mother got more dignity then Astrid did. If Astrid actually became a Warrior in the final scene it would be fine, I mean I understand hiccup needs to be the big dang hero and as such Astrid cannot defeat the big dragon, but is it so bad for her to have given it her all, done amazingly, failed... but gave Hiccup the idea or opening he needed? Or heck have her do something completely different, either way her "Become a warrior" plot just stops because it interferes with Hiccup's.

Also I don't think we are "losing female characters to trinity syndrome", but that is just hyperbole to drive up the view count.

But yes I agree with the actual sentiment of the article (and not the stuff made to increase view count). That just because you have a butt kicking female in your story, it doesn't mean you are prominently featuring a strong female character.

(Also yeah... Lets just say I didn't like "How to Train Your Dragon", its treatment of Astrid was what made me dislike it)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 05:22:21 pm by Neonivek »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: June 20, 2014, 04:40:48 pm »

That sounds like justification. Can we not give excuses for sexism? Can we instead give thought to what we can do to change the industry in a year? Or two years? Or a decade, if that's what it takes?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: June 20, 2014, 04:58:52 pm »

Apparently even the upcoming Divinity: Original Sins suffered a chainmail bikini scandal I wasn't aware of (merely promotional art and got fixed in the meantime).
The artist of the original design wasn't amused with the teams decision.

Glad it didn't turn into a bigger flamewar, since Larian actually makes rather good games that don't have to rely on sex to sell.
Still, their previous games do have quite a bit of boob plate.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: June 20, 2014, 05:04:07 pm »

That sounds like justification. Can we not give excuses for sexism? Can we instead give thought to what we can do to change the industry in a year? Or two years? Or a decade, if that's what it takes?

It isn't so much giving an excuse so much that it is a call that this is a bigger leap then it seems.

That it shouldn't be looked down upon, but rather praised for being a step forward the industry needs, while at the same time knowledgeable that there are many more steps that still need to be taken.

Or rather "It isn't going to change overnight, why are you being so negative about a positive change, just because it isn't a complete transformation?"

At least that is my interpretation.

Which frankly part of me agrees with this sentiment... We got more these past 10 years then we got 20 years prior. (I'd say 50... but 1950s-1970s was pretty bad)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: June 20, 2014, 05:35:00 pm »

What do you suggest we do in here, then?

And when I said that, I meant because it sounded like you were giving excuses like it was alright that they were only this far along, and we can't expect them to be better.

And even so, praising a dog for not biting even though it refuses to heel may not be the best course of action...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: June 20, 2014, 05:53:07 pm »

What do you suggest we do in here, then?

And when I said that, I meant because it sounded like you were giving excuses like it was alright that they were only this far along, and we can't expect them to be better.

And even so, praising a dog for not biting even though it refuses to heel may not be the best course of action...

We are praising the slow child for solving the equation on the board.

Rather then scolding that child because the child isn't as fast as the other children.

Metaphors are beautiful things.

What do I suggest you do? What we are doing now, discussing it... letting others know our views... and letting it inform our choices.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: June 20, 2014, 05:55:09 pm »

Pretty much.
You have to learn to crawl before you can learn to walk.

We're not saying "well that's good enough, let's leave it at that".

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: June 20, 2014, 05:59:18 pm »

I don't think of sexism as an equation to be solved.

I see equality more as a standard of human decency, actually. >.>
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: June 20, 2014, 06:54:33 pm »

Right. I don't think the metaphor fits, is all.

I don't think of the media as a disadvantaged child trying to solve an equation. I see them as a hungry pet, which needs to be told to hold back and wait from eating so you can finish pouring. It's no longer biting you when you try and hold it back, but it's sure as hell not obeying without a hard yank on the collar.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: June 20, 2014, 09:42:45 pm »

But if you abuse the pet to obey you, you only teach the pet to be abusive, especially with others.

While love is the carrot and the stick, I think this calls for the carrot.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: June 20, 2014, 09:59:14 pm »

Analogies are probably the worst way to try to approach a problem. The entertainment industry isn't a pet, it's an industry built around entertainment. You don't want to give it a carrot.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: June 20, 2014, 10:00:12 pm »

My point was that we shouldn't grow content with it. That's what praise tends towards. Contentedness.

Cool, they're better than they were. They still aren't good enough.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: June 20, 2014, 10:10:49 pm »

We never said to be happy about it. We just said don't knock their progress.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 277