Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 302634 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #2490 on: September 16, 2013, 08:02:13 am »

Heck, being a gamer would make it easier to cherrypick games that suit your agenda.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2491 on: September 16, 2013, 12:40:59 pm »

You're not stupid, you're just a shameless liar.  You should be blacklisted from any moderated discussion.  You know your argument is wrong, yet you try to prop it up through deceit - for reasons I don't care to guess.

I don't like you.
And now I have reason to waste more time on this. Happy reasons.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #2492 on: September 16, 2013, 01:28:00 pm »

I vote we keep the insults out of this. That can only go downhill.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: September 16, 2013, 01:34:26 pm »

I vote we keep the insults out of this. That can only go downhill.

Even in the off chance it doesn't, it just makes a toxic atmosphere where people just don't talk because they don't want to deal with it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: September 16, 2013, 01:36:45 pm »

It does make it more entertaining for outsiders to watch though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: September 16, 2013, 01:37:44 pm »

It does make it more entertaining for outsiders to watch though.

True, but we could have Monkey Island Sword fights for that.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: September 16, 2013, 01:45:40 pm »

The outsiders won't be able to watch anymore if the thread gets locked.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: September 17, 2013, 12:30:20 am »

I still find it sad that we proven that an overwhelming vast majority of videogames targeted towards girls stink... like out loud.

So there is another reason why the gaming industry thinks girls are icky... because they got so much "proof".

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: June 16, 2014, 12:07:03 pm »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: June 16, 2014, 12:10:12 pm »

bump
And right at the start she singles out violence against women as being inherently worse than violence against men.
I remember why I didn't bother keeping up to these now.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: June 16, 2014, 12:15:33 pm »

bump

One question.

Why reawaken this ancient evil?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: June 16, 2014, 12:16:33 pm »

I am going to wait for people to review this video a bit before I watch.

What I heard of "Damsel in Distress" was between it being extremely terrible and Very good.. and I ended up somewhere in the middle. Where I agreed mostly with the gist but where there were some strong disagreements and where I thought her examples were terrible and that she never really gone far enough in depth and missed out on some areas of great comparison. (The "Princess who gets captured" becomes an archetypical hero character... thus losing her princess qualities... What a coincidence. Though I've seen someone argue this point better then I ever could)

I am hoping with all the sweet sweet time she took between videos that she has improved her argument strategy and examples... and doesn't switch between metatextual and narrative on the fly.

And right at the start she singles out violence against women as being inherently worse than violence against men.

Does she at least qualify this statement OUTSIDE a "Well women get beat up in real life more often, so they should get beat up in games less often"? Or by analyzing the type of violence towards women in games and showing it to be different then that towards males? As well as giving counter examples?

Why reawaken this ancient evil?

Not everyone hated it

For the longest time the general consensus was that what she was saying wasn't EXACTLY wrong, outside a few things, but that she sucked at telling it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 12:18:41 pm by Neonivek »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: June 16, 2014, 12:19:03 pm »

Does she at least qualify this statement OUTSIDE a "Well women get beat up in real life more often, so they should get beat up in games less often"? Or by analyzing the type of violence towards women in games and showing it to be different then that towards males? As well as giving counter examples?
It's in the warning part before the video properly begins. Just watch those 10 seconds :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: June 16, 2014, 12:23:32 pm »

I dunno I got more pause at the part where she showed that... yes indeed they sold videogames using female models.

But the pause is mostly that she never seems to awknowledge that it was common for everything at the time... and the "Showing them to be toys to be played with" at which point I go... "I don't really get that... I get more that they are trying to create an association between these devices and sexy ladies... not in making sexy ladies seem more like toys but in making these toys seem more arousing. It is using female sexuality as a too to sell objects and I don't see the cross association here".

It is sort of the one reason I think the word "Objectification" should just be retired as a whole. Not because the word isn't valuable, but because it is overused and has simply become short hand for lazy arguments ("This woman is sexy, thus is a sex object"), to the extent that anyone trying to make a good argument for objectification never uses it. (note she doesn't say it)

Ok... I am going to REALLY wait for the reviews because so far this is kind of worse then the Damsel in Distress within the first minute... and it could get better... and I want to watch this not expecting the worst if it gets better.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 12:27:35 pm by Neonivek »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: June 16, 2014, 12:23:51 pm »

Apparently mentioning that the video has depictions of violence against women is the same thing as saying that violence against women is worse than violence against men.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 277