Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 302902 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #2355 on: August 12, 2013, 01:55:01 am »

If you punch a healthy person, it isn't physical abuse
I think that sums up a large part of why I dislike her series very well.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: August 20, 2013, 12:55:35 am »

I like. The claims that it's an idea with value, that it's not an automatic qualifier for feminism, and that it's not a replacement for the Bechdel Test itself are all good ones.

EDIT: Mind you, I've never seen the film.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: August 20, 2013, 01:00:02 am »

I actually think she's the least-sexualized woman with a speaking part I've ever seen in a film outside of Ripley.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: August 20, 2013, 01:02:20 am »

This pleases me - reasons to look forward to watching it beyond its basic premise are... I don't even know. Like frosting on an already-amazing cake, only delicious (unlike frosting >_________>)
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: August 20, 2013, 01:17:37 am »

I like. The claims that it's an idea with value, that it's not an automatic qualifier for feminism, and that it's not a replacement for the Bechdel Test itself are all good ones.

EDIT: Mind you, I've never seen the film.

I think it is something that plays on the fact that everyone who uses the Bechdel Test lacks any sort of mental capacity or ability to think.

The Bechdel Test is a "rule of thumb" test the waters test so to speak. You use it and if you notice a discrepancy you look closer.

The problem is people wave it around like it is a Geiger counter that detects the amount of sexism in a product.

Which congratulations ANOTHER silly test that exists for the sole reason that people don't use their brains. Which will need another test because people were so dumb they needed another one. AHHHHHHH!!!

Ok rage over.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: August 20, 2013, 01:19:19 am »

I think it is something that plays on the fact that everyone who uses the Bechdel Test lacks any sort of mental capacity or ability to think.

. . . This is really unnecessary, dude.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: August 20, 2013, 01:25:00 am »

No, I explained my reasoning. You can say I am exaggerating but even you should notice that people abuse the Bechdel Test.

I honestly think that if this new test becomes popular it will be because of some notion that "The Bechdel test is inaccurate and needs to be supported" rather then because the Bechdel Test cannot look at every angle and perhaps we should use it to triangulate.

The best I can do is sweeten that statement up but "The test is created because people don't know better" is the same no matter how sacrine I make it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 01:27:50 am by Neonivek »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: August 20, 2013, 01:27:39 am »

No, I explained my reasoning. You can say I am exaggerating but even you should notice that people abuse the Bechdel Test.

C'mon, buddy.  You can do better than this.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: August 20, 2013, 01:28:52 am »

No that is it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: August 20, 2013, 02:02:30 am »

The Bechdel test doesn't claim any given movie is sexist.  It demonstrates that the movie industry in general is sexist, by showing a trend too large to be coincidence.  I expected you to understand that, Neonivek.  Granted, people do misuse it a lot, but you don't seem to know any better than they do.

Anyone with a working brain would know that statements such as this one are not constructive. 

Edit: I did edit this post after you replied, I have a bad habit of editing a lot...  I did it so fast the edit-message didn't show up.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 02:08:56 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: August 20, 2013, 02:03:36 am »

The Bechdel test doesn't claim any given movie is sexist, it demonstrates that movies in general are sexist.  I expected you to understand that, Neonivek.  Granted, people do misuse it a lot, but you don't seem to know any better than they do.

Anyone with a working brain would know that statements such as this one are not constructive.

You really should read what I wrote.

Wait... Maybe I should read what you just wrote. Dang it you created a paradox!

So... Do I dismiss what you wrote? >_>
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 02:05:34 am by Neonivek »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: August 20, 2013, 02:07:47 am »

I did.

The Bechdel Test is a "rule of thumb" test the waters test so to speak. You use it and if you notice a discrepancy you look closer.
This is wrong.

This is insulting and disappointing.

The problem is people wave it around like it is a Geiger counter that detects the amount of sexism in a product.
This is true, like I admitted.

Which congratulations ANOTHER silly test that exists for the sole reason that people don't use their brains. Which will need another test because people were so dumb they needed another one. AHHHHHHH!!!

Ok rage over.
This didn't really make sense

You really should read what I wrote.
This is hypocritical  :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: August 20, 2013, 02:20:11 am »

This is wrong

It really should be. Even many of the largest supporters know that there are easily ways for the Bechdel test to fail simply because, for example, the main character is the hero.

But either way, the majority of what I said is still how I feel. The Bechdel test is abused to absurdity without thought or reasoning, I give no credit to anything that attempts to supplement it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: August 20, 2013, 02:21:06 am »

Yes, but that usually points to a tendency for women to not be main characters or heroes in narratives.

Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 277