Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 302985 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #2190 on: August 05, 2013, 02:04:53 am »

I like it better than the last one, thought I disagree with her stance on meta humour of sexism (where the humour comes from the knowledge that the audience is not sexist, and therefore extreme sexism is presented for humour through absurdity)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: August 05, 2013, 02:45:56 am »

I like it better than the last one

Well that is good for me. Does she actually come to conclusions?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: August 05, 2013, 02:55:25 am »

I like it better than the last one

Well that is good for me. Does she actually come to conclusions?

I'm not sure what you're asking there, but I thought you'd be pleased to know that she makes a very similar point to one you've made a few times (about parody where you try to have your cake and eat it too).
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: August 05, 2013, 10:25:54 am »

Late to the boat, I know, but I can think of one game where a female character had a more gruesome death than any of the male characters:

Tomb Raider (2013).

Lara has some pretty horrifying deaths. And nobody can come close to matching them. There was a big kerfluffle about the whole thing.

I'm glad that her deaths were so messed up, though. The most graphic ones, the ones where she gets skewered by airplane debris and whatnot, are hard to connect to sexual violence on anything but a metalevel, and it got at least a few people I know IRL to think critically about it.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: August 05, 2013, 04:41:50 pm »

one of the silent hills had a worse death for the female then the male protagonist.

Though you had to do pretty bad to let her die.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: August 05, 2013, 05:09:53 pm »

I thought it was a strong finish to the initial 3 parter. Lots of time spent talking about games that avert the trope effectively, and suggestion on how to make games that subvert it outright. Many comments on Neonivek's beloved "parody cake" style of game.

I think the inclusion of Hotline Miami was a bit of a mistake, from what I've heard of the game, and I'm sure there will be criticism of it out of proportion to it's name drop in the video, but overall quite well done.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: August 05, 2013, 07:36:28 pm »

You are shitting me. You have got to be downright shitting me. You know that test I like to apply to see if something is acceptable? That if it is ok for men it is ok for women, and if it is ok for women it is ok for men? That thing called egalitarianism, that actually promotes an equal platform? Lets just shit all over that, who needs it? We have feminism...

Its ok for the male damsel to be knocked out, thrown about, whipped, crushed, blown up and replaceable with a dog because he is a guy. That is totally unacceptable for a women, right?

Lets just ignore the fact that zooming in and isolating the damsel is hardly a 'systemic, big picture perspective' and not at all representative of how spelunky portrays women.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Once again, in Anitas eyes we can't portray women as weak, dependent, enfeebled, inadequate or incapable despite the fact that they often are. This is an inherit property of being human and typical of any sample population. We need weak, helpless females, just as much as we need weak, helpless men, and strong women and strong men. The only examples Anita gives that she deems acceptable were all of stronger women, implying it is unacceptable to be otherwise? Does this really send a much better message?

The problem is not at all with these portrayals, but rather a lack of examples showing women in a more empowered role, something Spelunky actually does. Spelunky puts both men and women on a pretty much even platform... yet still she has a problem with it. Because Anita hates the idea that women could ever be portrayed as weak, ever, in any case. And it is stupid.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: August 05, 2013, 07:41:05 pm »

Do you seriously not see the difference between weakness and lack of agency?
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: August 05, 2013, 07:42:45 pm »

Once again, in Anitas eyes we can't portray women as weak, dependent, enfeebled, inadequate or incapable despite the fact that they often are.

Yeah that is probably one of the larger problems with Anita and I already heard the best counter argument for it on the internet from the youtube video "More then a damsel in a dress".

It even went on to say that Zelda's position of constantly being compromised is more indicative of her position then her gender. As long as someone sits on the throne of Hyrule will they always be in danger.

Anita blends those lines herself.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: August 05, 2013, 07:43:37 pm »

Spelunky gives women agency. The EXACT SAME LEVEL OF AGENCY AS MEN. But that isn't acceptable now, is it?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: August 05, 2013, 07:50:37 pm »

Spelunky gives women agency. The EXACT SAME LEVEL OF AGENCY AS MEN. But that isn't acceptable now, is it?

But it doesn't count because the men aren't hot enough.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: August 05, 2013, 07:53:27 pm »

I thought that was a secret joke mode that you have to unlock by completing a really tough challenge, but maybe I'm wrong.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: August 05, 2013, 07:57:02 pm »

But it doesn't count because the men aren't hot enough.
If it isn't the kind of male that I personally find attractive then it is just an empowerment fantasy for men!

I thought that was a secret joke mode that you have to unlock by completing a really tough challenge, but maybe I'm wrong.
No..? You can play as a female from the start, and you can switch between your damsels from the start. No super hard challenge about it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: August 05, 2013, 08:03:40 pm »

Ah, I wasn't familiar with Spelunky HD.  Apparently you now start with 3 male and 1 female avatars from the start, that's cool.

In the original Spelunky you have to unlock the Damsel by saving 8 in one run, which is pretty tough (I haven't done it...)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: August 05, 2013, 08:06:22 pm »

Ah, well I won't comment on a game I don't know a huge amount about, but I will say that the game Anita is talking about in her videos, as evident from gameplay footage, is Spelunky HD, so talking about the short comings of a different game is sort of irrelevant.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 277