Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303198 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #2130 on: June 12, 2013, 01:04:34 pm »

You're going to use Anita as an example of instant trigggerrrrs? If you want an example of a feminist woman being given death threats because she is a feminist woman, then you need only look towards women like Amina, who actually face such things for their beliefs. And then if you want to quantify the hatred targeted towards feminists, atheists, subscribers to any religion, members of any civic or ethnic group... The furore of feminists just doesn't stand up to comparison with genocides.
This line of reasoning has been used many times on many subjects, and it has always been an absolutely stupid argument. For example, it is ludicrous to say "Why are you concerned about legalizing gay marriage here when gay people are jailed for existing in some places?", or "How can you complain against 'racial discrimination' against you when entire villages in Africa are being killed in ethnic clensing?" Saying something is trivial or not bad because something else is more prevalent or worse is intuition grabbing but has no logical basis.

Your original point was that feminist women find the most abuse and for simply being feminist women. Proving feminist women handle abuse on the internet is still steps away from proving it is worse than the abuse the majority face.
It isn't even just specifically feminists, but women on the internet in general that have to deal with significantly more bullshit than average, even when blogging on subjects as uncontroversial as food, and even if the same blogger and subject matter attracted no such harassment when using a male pseudonym.
Soaplent green is goblins!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: June 12, 2013, 02:38:10 pm »

Can someone enlighten me to the actual point being argued? All I see is a hell of a lot of people talking past each other and presenting unconnected assertions.

Just look at EveryZig's post above me. He's arguing two points (both true, by the way):

1) "Someone else has it worse" is never a good reason to dismiss someone's problems as irrelevant.
2) Women have it worse than men when it comes to this sort of shit.

The only coherent argument I can think of that both these points could be used to support would be an anti-misandry one, but I really doubt that's the actual topic of discussion. So then, what the hell IS the actual topic of discussion?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: June 12, 2013, 02:40:01 pm »

We are seeing if it is being a woman that is the prime factor in being mobbed by the internet

Or it is it a combination of factors.

So for example if Anita was a man, would she have still got death treats?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: June 12, 2013, 02:43:09 pm »

Is that all? Well, being a prime factor does not preclude it being one of many factors. The answer is both.
So for example if Anita was a man, would she have still got death treats?
Maybe. The likelihood of it would be smaller though.

All this should be pretty obvious. Are we arguing over tiny details again?
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: June 12, 2013, 02:48:29 pm »

Well, being a prime factor does not preclude it being one of many factors

The prime factor does mean that it would work on its own. So the answer cannot be both.

Either being a woman was the prime factor or it wasn't.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: June 12, 2013, 03:00:13 pm »

Loud Whispers keeps insisting that all internet "personalities" get this same level of harassment, and that it has nothing to do with whether they discuss sensitive issues.  He's saying that the harassment has nothing to do with her message or the fact that she's a woman, and that the internet is just caustic like that.

I pointed out a popular LPer who has 805 thousand subscribers to Anita's 91 thousand, and no known death threats.  LW went off on some tangent about "personalities" vs "personas", MLP, and criticizing glowcat's spelling.

So basically we aren't discussing anything of importance.  LW made an absurd and offensive claim, and arguing with him about it is both easy and fun.  It's not productive though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: June 12, 2013, 03:07:37 pm »

Well, being a prime factor does not preclude it being one of many factors

The prime factor does mean that it would work on its own. So the answer cannot be both.

Either being a woman was the prime factor or it wasn't.
Um, maybe we're getting a definition mixup here? Someone can be hated for both one very large reason and also for a few smaller ones. Of course it can be both.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: June 12, 2013, 03:07:44 pm »

I pointed out a popular LPer who has 805 thousand subscribers to Anita's 91 thousand, and no known death threats

Yeah but that may actually be the reason why he gets less. Trolls like to troll where they will be heard.

If we had the maturity we could discuss rape itself within context of women and how it is somehow both glorified and demonized.

After all a woman who has been raped is considered to be "destroyed" and "Might as well have been killed". It somehow turned a very tragic action into an all destroying one. Which trolls pick up on and use as shock attacks against women.

While for men rape is either considered to be impossible (Woman on Man) or it is considered to be just (Man on Man). Mind you man on man rape is more of a product of a belief that the terrible conditions in prison is part of the punishment.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:09:16 pm by Neonivek »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2138 on: June 12, 2013, 03:31:41 pm »

You haven't shown enthusiasm at arguing at all really.
Why would I? Right now I'm sickened by the blithe dismissive behavior to the point where even outrage can't carry my will to argue. You'll have to wait for the brain chemistry to align with tolerating bullshit for the sake of argument again.
Perhaps then we could actually talk about what she says instead of saying trolls genuinely represent anyone? Honestly, I do enjoy discussions about the nature of insults, but it is detracting from the topic title.

The unintentional irony is killing me.  You have the gall to start insulting spelling and grammar
Where? You should do this thing where you distance yourself just a tiny bit, and think to yourself. That guy, he's using words in a non-literal manner... Could he be making a joke? In fact, if you did this - you might start seeing them everywhere!
Alas, no. Everything is an affront to your existence, no matter the redundancy.
[Insults intensify]

At least you aren't resorting to reaction images, though -

Welp.
Our dear Edwards Scissorhands was doing that thing where his head bobs up and down on his neck joints, swiveling like only a barber could. In the occidental world, this is commonly known as a gesture, one that indicates 'yes.'
Of course, I could have just written 'yes,' but then it would have left all this negative space. And that's like, feng shui or something.
Can't have all that negative space.

Why would I criticize your spelling when I was destroying the arguments you were attempting to express?
Let's see your track record of anally destroying my arguments.
Rolan7 misunderstands the meaning of sentences, emerges victorious with a fiery halo.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This argument is ignored.
Rolan7 talks about terrorism and makes more opinions which are definitely facts.
These arguments are ignored.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Rolan7 accuses me of mafia-tier lying.
Argument refutation levels: Depressing.

Now if you want to go onto the topic of semantics and grammar Nazism, it's got nothing on your hypocrisy and insistence on getting me to shut up.
Which is a shame really, for I enjoy listening to you.

This line of reasoning has been used many times on many subjects, and it has always been an absolutely stupid argument. For example, it is ludicrous to say "Why are you concerned about legalizing gay marriage here when gay people are jailed for existing in some places?", or "How can you complain against 'racial discrimination' against you when entire villages in Africa are being killed in ethnic clensing?" Saying something is trivial or not bad because something else is more prevalent or worse is intuition grabbing but has no logical basis.
It's not 'starving children in Africa.' It was a very specific claim by Rolan7 that feminist women face greater targeting simply for being. And given the topic, it is not irrelevant that the majority of people who face abuse are still men.

So then, what the hell IS the actual topic of discussion?
The internet hate machine. Presumably no one likes talking about any arguments regarding feminism or video games because we've talked most of the points to death thousands of posts ago.

Loud Whispers keeps insisting that all internet "personalities" get this same level of harassment, and that it has nothing to do with whether they discuss sensitive issues.  He's saying that the harassment has nothing to do with her message or the fact that she's a woman, and that the internet is just caustic like that.

I pointed out a popular LPer who has 805 thousand subscribers to Anita's 91 thousand, and no known death threats.  LW went off on some tangent about "personalities" vs "personas", MLP, and criticizing glowcat's spelling.
Someone else brought up the MLP can O' worms, don't really care about spelling only find it funny when people start talking about the 'hating women hatred' and it's a service to correct those who are wrong, at least where there is a clear 'right' by definition.

Am I supposed to be wrecked right now?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: June 12, 2013, 04:44:04 pm »

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2141 on: June 12, 2013, 05:00:13 pm »

This is also relevant.
I'm glad everyone can agree just how much of a vapid waste of effort the Xb0ne was at least.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #2142 on: June 12, 2013, 05:16:47 pm »

Who fancies a quick game of vicious circle?

I like this quote.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: June 12, 2013, 05:18:37 pm »

perpetuating a victim culture

Wellllll... Yeah she is. Let us not pretend she isn't. But how much that matters is another question. After all just talking about sexism or racism is perpetuating a victim culture.

Anyhow since I don't believe that Budget and game quality are related I can ignore a lot of the article.

What the article SHOULD have looked at is what "Female protagonist games" tend to be. We get games like Crossblades and Gun Kitty or something like that. They tend to be absolutely terrible games that are using the female sexuality to sell their game.

WHAT A COINCIDENCE those don't sell very well.

It's not really about taking risks, it's about catering better for the existing audience

I went on a forum and I once said that games aren't all about making money, that they are an intellectual and artistic undertaking. Where I was firmly corrected that that is not how the market works.

Which is true. When you are taking money from major publishers you are asking them to look at your product and see if they want to put down money.

You know what forget this! Forget these articles that just piddle around and constantly try to come up with an argument but fail like never before. I mean when it says:

Tomb Raider wouldn't have sold 3.6m in its first month of sales if the audience had a problem with female leads

I just have to sit there and sigh.

You want to see why female protagonist games don't sell very well? Because the audience knows EXACTLY what they are. Smut and trash and childish games. Female protagonists don't have a good run and it is a vicious cycle. Yet don't pretend like "Ohh it is so obvious that female protagonists work". You actually have to do some work, actually look at some games, actually look at the culture.

What did Tomb Raider do that those games didn't? Well they had a marketing department that was able to sell the game AND it was a triple A. Lets also add in the fact that the marketing department INTENTIONALLY tried to sell the game as sexist to get more people interested.

If you want to break the myth that female games don't sell you have to look at the smaller games closely and not just the big games.

I play point and clicks and out of every genre of game EVER it has the most balance of protagonist genders ever (maybe 30-70 F-M ratio)! Yet why was it acceptable for point and clicks to do this, but not action games for example? (My personal guess is two-fold... One is that female protagonists were ingrained upon the genre very early and thus it was considered acceptable... As well the genre has a very balanced male to female ratio.)
-Other Point and click and female trivia: The longest point and click series to date has a female protagonist.

Mind you I am just ranting for the sake of ranting... I think the article is good but we don't need a good article... We need a great article.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 05:28:32 pm by Neonivek »

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: June 12, 2013, 05:29:20 pm »

And given the topic, it is not irrelevant that the majority of people who face abuse are still men.
I am not sure exactly what you are saying with this. I don't think you are just flatly denying the examples I posted with no explanation, because that would be silly.
If you are talking about every type of abuse including murder and assault, I would say that it is a mistake to treat every form of abusive behavior as a homogenous thing, as there are clearly differing types of abuse with very different social workings (such as gang violence vs insults).
If you are saying that there is a higher total number of men who are harassed on the internet, that would need evidence and be aside from the point anyway, as it is the effect per person that matters for fairness concerns rather than the total number of people effected. That is why the rights of minorities matter despite being, well, minorities.

It's not 'starving children in Africa.' It was a very specific claim by Rolan7 that feminist women face greater targeting simply for being.
So... what argument were you making there that wasn't comparing feminists to dramatically oppressed groups and people in Africa with the conclusion that "The furore of feminists just doesn't stand up to comparison with genocides."?
Soaplent green is goblins!
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 277